Beetroots - Health Benefits of Beetroot
Top 10 Health Benefits of Beetroot
Beetroots are the powerhouse of nutrients and loaded with powerful anti-toxidants. They are low in fat, high in vitamins and minerals. They also contain the highest sugar level content of all vegetables. But still they can be safely used by most of the people.
Beetroots were first cultivated by Romans. Both the roots and leaves of beets can be eaten. The roots have sugar taste whereas the beet greens have bitter taste.
Health Benefits of Beetroot
- Lowers blood pressure. Drinking beet root juice brings down the blood pressure level in a matter of few hours, because of the naturally containing nitrates in beets. Nitrate helps to relax and dilate your blood vessels, improving blood flow and as a result lowers the blood pressure. A reduction in blood pressure is beneficial for the avoidance of heart disease and stroke.
- Fights against inflammation. Beets contain an essential nutrient called betaine, that helps protects cells, proteins, and enzymes from environmental stress. Also it helps to fight inflammation, protect internal organs, improve vascular risk factors, enhance performance of overall health.
- Boosts immune system - Beets are high in Vitamin C, which helps to boost your immune system.
- Boosts stamina - A study conducted at St Louis University found that eating cooked beetroot or drinking beetroot juice before exercise or physical activity, can boost your performance level.
- Protects Intestinal tract - Beets are one of the richest sources of glutamine, an amino acid, essential to the health and maintenance of the intestinal tract. The fiber content helps in eliminating the waste material easily.
- Treats Anemia - The high content of iron in beetroot improves the red blood cells count. A diet with the inclusion of beetroot both raw and cooked is helpful in treating anemia.
Beetroot Juice Benefits
7. Anti-cancer properties - Beets get their deep crimson color from the powerful phytonutrients, which may help to protect from cancers like Prostate cancer and Breast cancer. Studies have shown that beetroot extract reduced multi-organ tumor formations in various animal models when they are given water to drink mixed with beetroot extract. This gives a hope that it may help in humans also.
8. For Eye Health - The two carotenoids (lutein and zeaxanthin) contained in the raw juice are easily absorbed and thus they help in maintaining good eye health, especially for the retina.
Benefits of Beet Greens
Beet greens benefits cannot be neglected. Beet greens contain high amount of nutrients.
9. Improves Bone Health - Reduces Osteoporosis and enhances bones strength.
10. Fights Alzheimer's disease. The rich antioxidants in beeroot juice are helpful in fighting with age related brain disease.
How to use Beet greens - They can be added to any other juice or can be used in cooking like other greens.
Other Health Benefits of Beetroots
Apart from the top ten mentioned above, there are more health benefits for this bright color vegetable. It is extremely helpful for pregnant women to prevent birth defects. Beet root also helps in proper liver function, treats obesity, helps to maintain a healthy skin, works as an anti-aging substance, treats gout and varicose veins, promotes healthy hair growth etc.
People suffering from kidney stones should avoid the consumption of beets.
A beginner should start with only a medium size half beetroot juice once a week, and slowly can increase the consumption.
After consumption of beetroot and beetroot juice, you may find your urine red in color, which is natural. Drinking more water helps eliminate the waste fast.
Nutrition in Beetroot
100g of Beetroot servings provide -
Calories - 43
Protein - 2g
Fat - 0g
Carbohydrate - 10g
Fibre - 3g
The information provided in this hub is for informational and educational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies.
Most recommended Vegetable List
So remember to include beetroot in your most recommended vegetable list at the time of shopping so that you can regularly enjoy a beetroot diet and prevent several health problems, by maintaining good health.
If drinking raw beetroot juice is a problem because of its taste, carrot or apple juice can be added to it.
Beet root Recipe - Beet root Cutlets