Not being SLIM, is not a Crime
Is it a crime not to be slim? Why is being fat seen as being unattractive?
There could be several reasons for having extra weight:
1) Health Problems – E.g Underactive Thyroid, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, etc
2) Medicines - some medicines slow down the rate at which the body burns calories.
3) Genes – Research has found that some people’s genes make them more “metabolically efficient” than others. Also, if parents are big, sometimes the kids naturally inherit their genes and become big.
4) The birth of a baby. Its natural for a woman to put on weight during pregnancy. In most cases, she would lose the weight - gradually.
5) Over production of hormones.
6) Problems – going through a difficult time in life. (Using food as comfort).
A lot of fat people are looked at in a negative way. Examples:
- They are discriminated against. E.g In selecting people for Jobs. Also, they are not treated with respect unless they are absolutely loaded financially. (Funny how fat rich men become very attractive to people)
- Sometimes, they get “dirty” looks from people as if they came from another Planet.
- Kids – they get bullied / teased in school. In UK nearly half of school kids have been bullied over the past year. Figures based on responses of 150,000 children who took part in a Tellus survey for OFSTED (Office for Standards in Education). Fat kids are included in these figures.
- In relationships – the man or woman no longer finds the partner attractive. A lot of partners start having affairs or lose interest in marriage when their once “slim built” partner puts on weight.
Picture the Scenario - Our Society today.
It’s a scorching hot day. Some men are working on the outside of an office building. One of them, walks into an office full of Admin workers. He is wearing only a pair of jeans, no Top. He is well-built and has a “6 pack”. Turning to a group of people who are sitting in a section, he asks if anyone knows where the Soft Drinks machine is. Nearly all of the staff (I won’t mention the gender) offer to take him there.
Same day, same place, another man walks in wearing a pair of jeans with a bit of a belly and maybe what we call “man boobs”. He asks the same question to staff. Some of the staff point with their finger where he should go and give him directions. Others simply look at him and continue with what they are doing.
Oprah Winfrey - Beautiful in and out
Dawn French - Successful Comedian
Richard Gere - One of my favourite actors
We can’t all be Slim.
Lets treat people the way we would like to be treated and look past their size. A lot of people are big but they are highly intelligent, talented, with great personalities and hearts of gold.
On the contrary, you could have someone with excellent body statistics, that would make you do a double-take, but once you get to know them, they can be a real pain in the backside and they no longer look attractive to you. Then you ask yourself “I wonder what I saw in him/her?”. My answer – “physical appearance”.
Help our kids - A lot of kids are chubby when they are young but tend to lose the weight before they become teenagers. Make sure they have healthy diets/exercise and feed their minds positively so they don’t lose their confidence / self esteem. Bullying is common in schools. One of the stars of “Celebrity dancing on ice 2009 – UK” program said she didn’t like her partner lifting her up in the show because when she was young someone in the family lifted her up and commented that she was very heavy. She didn’t like that comment and it has lived with her ever since. She’s now in her 40s. (one of the Nolan Sisters).
If you are naturally big. Please don’t give into society’s pressure to be slim. Love yourself and don’t hate your body. You are unique and special. Fashion wise – Lots of Fashion lines cater for plus sizes. The most important thing is to live a healthy lifestyle.
In some Countries, men actually like their partners big. Example in Africa, most men prefer their women big and robust.
Big is Beautiful.
- 8 Ways to Stop Complicating Life
Practical Tips on how NOT to complicate your life.