The Nutritional Health Benefits of Avocados
The filling fruit!
People love avocados; they are eaten by themselves and infused into drinks, salsas, dips, soups, stir fry, among many other delicious recipes. The smooth yet solid texture is pleasing to the palate. This wonderful green fruit will fill you up and is a good alternative to meat because of its’ high protein content. Many countries that have low availability of meats supplement their diets with this precious fruit.
Avocados have been cultivated for over 10,000 years. The first clues of cultivation were found in Puebla, Mexico. The avocado was documented in Europe in the 1500’s and eventually spread to the rest of the world. Avocados will grow all year long if the climate is right. This tree does not survive harsh freezing weather, only an occasional light frost. California is an ideal climate for Avocados. It produces more avocados than anywhere in the United States and is third ranking avocado producer in the world. Mexico is the highest ranking avocado producer.
Avocados are one of the few fruits that reach maturity on the tree (bananas do too), but ripen within seven to 10 days after being picked. So when you purchase an avocado in the store that still firm you can take it home and let it sit out at room temp for a few days and chances are it will ripen naturally. Soft avocados have been off the tree for some time and will have to be eaten immediately.
Eat delicious avocados
Some food recipes that include avocados are:
Avocado smoothie- 1 banana and 1 avocado, soy or milk ice optional ( I learned this from a fellow hubber, Greenheart, I hadn't heard of this combo before, it is quite good- I added the soy and ice)
Avocado-chocolate shake-sweet milk, avocado, chocolate, soy milk and vanilla with ice blended
Guacamole-avocado, onion, cilantro, fresh chili, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste
Avocado chutney-Avocado, garlic, onion, tamarind, olive oil, mustard
These recipes are all done ‘to taste’, that is how I cook, so I don’t have a set recipe for any of my dishes.
The nutritional value of the avocado is excellent. It is high in monounsaturated fat which has been proven to lower LDL cholesterol levels and there is a theory, that although not proven yet, that they also raise HDL cholesterol levels. Avocados are full of fiber, Potassium (even more than the beautiful banana!), they also contain; vitamins K, C, B6, E, Lutein(proven to promote eye health) and Niacin. There are also recent studies that show they may reduce risk of breast cancer, and other cancers. These are the major vitamins, but this fabulous green fruit contains over 20 vitamins! Eat them in good health.
Depending on your own metabolism and diet, 1/2 to 1 avocado should be a safe amount to eat because of fat content. This will avoid weight gain.
Avocado face mask
For moisturized and nourished skin at home use;
1/4 tsp honey
Leave on for 5 to 10 minutes depending on level of moisture needed
Interesting information about avocados
- Oil from the seed of the avocado was used as in during the era of the Spanish Conquest
- People make jewelry boxes out of the wood of the avocado tree
- The skin is used for possible relief from dysentery
- The skin and leaves have an antibiotic property
- Other names for avocados include ‘Alligator pear’,’ fertility fruit’
- The first Avocado plants were planted in 1871
- Avocado trees can live between 50 and 70 plus years
- Is said to powder of seed may relieve tooth pain
- Honey bees love avocado flowers
- If you have an allergy to bananas you may also have and allergy to avocados
- Some varieties are lightly cooked and eaten
- Avocado leave and or skin are toxic to animals
- There are hundreds of different types of avocados
- Types of avocados range in weight from 1 ounce to 4 pounds
Another related hub with recipes
- The Health Benefits and Uses of Banana With Smoothie Recipes
The health benefits and uses of bananas. Bananas provide a wide range of health benefits. They have many other uses too, some which may surprise you. I have listed a few of the benefits and uses of bananas enjoy!