- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Benefits of superfood Broccoli: How it helps to fight cancer? Health and Nutrition information.
Benefits of Broccoli: Health and Nutrition Information
Benefits of Broccoli
Broccoli, basically a bundle of green florets is a nutrient rich vegetable, that belongs to the cabbage family. It is highly recommended by doctors for preventing diseases like cancer, diabetes, blood pressure and even osteoporosis. However, it is notorious for its bad taste among children and adults too. With the advent of technology, good quality broccoli supplements are available online. Broccoli supplements can help to complement your daily meals and keep you in good health.
Taste of any vegetable is highly dependent on cooking and with increasing fame of broccoli, there are new and delicious recipes that are available which can make this vegetable, loving and favorite too. Before I share some recipes, lets delve into the details of the benefits of this amazing, green vegetable:
1. Broccoli is rich source of vitamins and minerals. Broccoli is a powerhouse of antioxidants. It is rich in vitamins and minerals like Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin K, beta-carotene, folic acid, magnesium, calcium, potassium.
Beta-carotene is beneficial for eyes vision. All vitamins, specially vitamin C is very important for strengthening the immune system. Folic acid is critical for women of child bearing age and pregnant women. It helps to prevent serious birth defects. Vitamin D, calcium and magnesium are good for bone health. Potassium helps against high blood pressure and keeps the heart healthy by maintaining the optimum balance of salts.
2. Broccoli is rich source of beneficial biochemicals. Biochemicals like isothiocyanates, help to protect against different types of cancers and even protect DNA structure. It is especially good against breast cancer, prostrate cancer, stomach cancer, colon and lung cancer. Death by cancers in on increasing trend in developed nations and broccoli can be the solution to fight this disease.
3. Broccoli is rich source of fibers. Broccoli is good source of soluble and insoluble fibers. The soluble fibers helps in the cholesterol reduction and thus, to keep our heart healthy. Insoluble fibers in broccoli helps to cleanse digestive system and improve bowel movements.
3. Broccoli is anti-inflammatory and good source of detoxification. Inflammation is causing lot of chronic diseases like arthritis, allergies, high blood pressure. Eating anti-inflammatory food is good for our overall health and disease prevention. Broccoli is just the right vegetable which helps in reducing inflammation and detoxifying our body too.
4. Broccoli is good source of protein. Many non-vegetarians complain that vegetables lack proteins. However, this is just a false myth. Vegetable, specially broccoli, is rich source of protein. Eating it frequently, combined with other vegetables, it can help to meet the daily requirements of proteins in our body.
4. Broccoli is low in Glycemic index. Eating broccoli helps to keep the sugar levels in control and there are no sugar spikes observed after eating this vegetable. It keeps you full for longer period of time. Hence, this vegetable is very good for general health, disease prevention and diabetic people. However, diabetic patient need to discuss with their doctors before introducing any vegetable in drastic amount to adjust the medicine dose. All recommendations in this article are for information only.
Enjoy Broccoli for good health and great taste. Here, I provide some delicious, broccoli recipes that can be added to daily meals and help you to make your journey towards healthy body: