Benefits of Chocolate - healthy tips
- endorphine - your own private narcotic
- serotonin - makes you happy, regulates sleep
- theobromine - mildly diuretic, a mild stimulant, relaxes the smooth muscles of the bronchi in the lungs
- caffeine - stimulating the central nervous system, gives you the boost of energy
Even though it may sound strange, chocolate can actually be healthy. It is made from plants, and that means that chocolate contains the health benefits of dark vegetables!
Dark chocolate has a great number of antioxidants - almost 8 times the number found in strawberries. Moreover, only 1/3 of fat in chocolate can affect cholesterol negatively while the rest is actually proved to lower the risk of heart disease and it reduces high blood pressure.
Apart from protecting your heart, dark chocolate tastes good, it stimulates endorphin production, which gives a feeling of pleasure, it contains serotonin, which acts as an anti-depressant, and it contains theobromine, caffeine and other substances which are stimulants.
Of course, you shouldn't eat kilo of chocolate a day because it is high calorie food and you will gain weight. Studies have shown that no more than 100g of chocolate a day should be fine in order to get all the benefits from it. But be careful, you should always go for the dark chocolate (maybe with some fruit fillings) but avoid caramel, nougat, etc. Also, it is not proved that white chocolate and chocolate milk have any health benefits at all. Too bad for me, because I love white chocolate... Anyway, if you want to introduce dark chocolate in your diet, you should know that half of the bar is enough. It has approximately 200 calories and you should cut out some other snacks in order to balance the calories.
Chocolate a day keeps the doctor away!
Remember, don't stuff yourself with chocolate! Half a bar a day is enough!!!
List of some of the best dark chocolate brands:
- Ghirardelli Intense Dark
- Green & Blacks
- Moser Roth
- Endangered Species
- Giddy Yoyo
- Scharffen Berger
- Eating Evolved
How much chocolate do you eat on daily basis?
List of the dark chocolate brands you should avoid consuming:
- Dove Dark Chocolate
- CocoaVia Supplements Pack
- Hershey's Special Dark
- Dark Chocolate M&M's
- Milky Way Midnight
- Nestle Dark Hot Chocolate
- Cadbury Bournville
- Brookside Dark Chocolate
- GMO - genetically modified
- alkali - lower the amount of antioxidants
How to choose the best dark chocolate?
- It should always have >70% cocoa
- Not processed with alkali
- Sugar must be listed after cocoa ingridients
- Organic is always better, even though not the most important
- Be careful when it comes to GMO ingridients! (usually soy lecithin)
Natural aphrodisiac :)
© 2014 Tanja Trkulja