Health Benefits of Cinnamon: Can the aromatic spice help in diabetes and reduce bad cholesterol?
Benefits of Cinnamon
Cinnamon is a miracle spice that is well known for its awesome aroma, coupled with excellent health benefits. It improves energy, stamina, blood circulation in body and helps in prevention and cure of many chronic diseases.
Cinnamon sticks are dark brown, semi-hollow tiny sticks that are derived from the inner bark of tree. It is grown mainly in China, Sri Lanka and India and imported to all over world. The highest quality of cinnamon is found in Sri Lanka, followed by India.
Cinnamon is a sacred spice that is mentioned in Bible. This spice is very beneficial for overall health and it can add years to our life if taken regularly. Here, few important benefits of cinnamon are provided:
1. Cinnamon regulates blood sugar spikes and help in diabetes. When this spice is added to daily meals in very small quantity (1/2 teaspoon), it can make a big difference to sugar levels. However, if a person is diagnosed with diabetes or taking prescription medicine, it is best to discuss with your doctor before making any drastic change to diet.
2. Cinnamon reduces bad cholesterol and improve good cholesterol. Adding cinnamon helps to improve HDL (high density lipoprotein) and decrease LDL (low density lipoprotein). It also helps to decrease triglycerides, the bad fat stored in our bodies. Hence, the overall cholesterol numbers are improved in the direction of good cardiovascular health.
3. Cinnamon helps in case of infertility. When couples are unable to bear children, taking a tablespoon of honey mixed with one small teaspoon of cinnamon everyday is said to be the miracle cure. The effectiveness of this cure is tested by history and it tends to be the ancient remedy.
4. Cinnamon reduces monthly period pain for women. Mensuration is associated with pain for most women. Adding a very small amount of cinnamon, like 1 small teaspoon everyday in your meals, might bring some improvement to your condition.
5. Cinnamon is anti-inflammatory. Lately, inflammation is hot topic in medical research and most diseases, specially arthritis, originates from high inflammation of joints. This leads to joint pain and it can decreased by adding the aromatic spice, cinnamon to your diet in small doses.
6. Cinnamon is anti-clotting. Blood clotting can be fatal in case of brain hemorrhage, certain types of heart attack. Cinnamon helps to prevent unwanted clumping of blood platelets and acts as a good anti-clogging agent. If you are on prescription medicine for blood thinning, it is advisable to discuss with your doctor. Cinnamon can interfere with medicine and hence, it is not recommended for those on any types of prescription pills.
Above all, cinnamon is good for overall health and well being. However, excess of anything is bad and if cinnamon is taken in large amount, it can have adverse impact on liver. All the benefits of cinnamon mentioned, are for information purpose only. Please do take advice of doctor in case of serious illness.
All the best in your journey towards good health. Here, are some cinnamon recipes with sweet aroma: