What are the Benefits of Homemade Greek Yogurt
The plain Greek yogurt
The past five years the plain Greek yogurt has found a large usage in our daily diet. More than 25% of the total cups of yogurt consumption are Greek yogurt. This has not happened without any reason. Now there are a lot of well know benefits that come from this particular food by conventional science. In this article I will show you the many health benefits of plain Greek yogurt. Also, I have written the quickest and easiest way on how to make Greek yogurt at your home.
But, in order to clarify why is this boost in production the first question is : What is Greek yogurt? In it's native language is called "Tzatziki" which means a thick, rich and very concentrated yogurt. You may think that is just some regular type of yogurt, but it is not. I mean that, all the ordinary ingredients of regular yogurt are found in the Greek yogurt like the whole cows milk.
But there is also another process that is involved in making it. This is the straining process, ar the draining of the unwanted juices. The straining process makes it particularly thick and dense but not too creamy. Because after straining all the juices in the yogurt, it remains nothing but the pro - biotics and the necessary fibers and proteins for your body. In this form the yogurt has twice as much proteins and fibers and less sugary content per ounce.
What are the Benefits of Homemade Greek yogurt
Benefits of greek yogurt.
I want to mention that to get to all the benefits of the Greek yogurt you have to be able to eat it. I mean that it doesn't taste quite good. In it's plain form Greek yogurt is very sour, but you can add various natural ingredients in it. So it can become more acceptable for the mouth.
Some of the extra ingredients that can be added are easy to find like chopped fruit, baked vegetables or honey. Below I have listed some of the many health benefits of Greek yogurt:
- The concentrated calcium sources in the Greek yogurt play a major role for the overall bone texture. Especially, for very little children that are in the growing process. As it is known Calcium helps to build a strong bone structure and prevents several bone conditions. But do not be limited only to give the yogurt to your kids.
- Also the amount of vitamins like B6 and B12 along with Pothasium and Magnesium are a great source of energy. The muscles will be thoroughly relaxed and ready for further action. The greatest thing about this extra strength is that you will get it for a small consumption of yogurt. You need as much as 6 ounces a day. This way you can eat less food in an ordinary meal and directly replace the missing energy with yogurt.
- The antioxidants are plenty in a simple sugar free pack can of Greek yogurt. They fight the free radicals that are the main reason for early aging. You can add the yogurt to any food as a topping or eat it after each meal.
- Another health benefit of Greek yogurt is helping your digestion. Fiber content and proteins that are found in the Greek yogurt help out the digestive system. Providing a great natural "laxative" for your stomach.
- The many natural probiotics that are naturally found in the Greek yogurt, provide a clean and healthy digestive system. This helps to fix any diarrhea or other stool issues. Natural probiotics also boost your immune system in cold winter nights. So you can have a good night sleep.
- I have also tried Greek yogurt once for skin sunburns. And I have to say that it provides quite a great relief for the skin. I think you can use it when you occasionally burn your hand in the kitchen, while cooking. "Of course when you are not provided with professional medical help immediately."
I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today.— Gordon Strachan
Homemade Greek yogurt.
Do you know how to make Greek yogurt ?
Homemade Greek yogurt for losing weight.
The advantages of this yogurt go beyond just a common food. If it is used daily it can contribute in losing weight. Many nutritionists and gym instructors suggest eating it daily combined with any other fruit or vegetable.
I have to mention that only the homemade Greek yogurt can give you the absolute certainty of a "sugar free yogurt". That is because the ones that are in the store and claim to be sugar free have to have at least a small percentage of sugary content. In order to produce and maintain the right balance of taste inside each can of yogurt sugar is needed. So, if it happens to go at a store and see a can of Greek yogurt it is not as healthy as you might think it is. Not to mention the one with chopped fruits in it. They have to have large amounts of artificial sugars, that is the reason they seem so sweet and tasty.
I suggest you to eat homemade Greek yogurt without any additional food between courses for losing weight. It gives it's benefit's even when you eat it in the morning. Or you can simply eat some of it as a light snack. For everybody that hasn't tried the homemade version of it, I think it will be a little bit difficult. The bright side of it is that you have to eat at least 5 or 6 ounces daily. Of course, if you are serious about losing weight you must be willing to sacrifice the sweet taste of any regular yogurt.
How to make plain Greek yogurt.Click thumbnail to view full-size
Greek yogurt vs regular yogurt.
- The main difference that you will notice between them is the texture. The Greek yogurt is much dense than the regular type yogurt.
- The other difference is found in the proteins and fibers content. This is higher in the Greek yogurt per ounce.
- Greek yogurt contains less sugars and juices. Therefore is easier for our stomach to digest. But more difficult for the mouth to taste (very sour taste).
How to make Greek yogurt ?
I often like to make my own Greek yogurt at home when I have spare time. It is very easy to make and it does not take to much effort or kitchen tools. To make it you can use either the regular cow milk or any other biological milk, like sheep milk or goat milk.
The only difference is the texture and smell of the final product. For example : the sheep milk is thicker than the regular cow's milk. Anyway, this process is usually divided into two main steps. The first step is the making of the regular yogurt with watery juices in it. The second step involves the straining process which I explained above.
- The first thing you need is around half a liter of "not processed" whole milk. And around two tablespoons of regular yogurt which I call the "seed of the yogurt". Put the milk in a thin container and stir well the seed of the yogurt in the milk.
- You need a thin container like shown in the picture, so the temperature of the outer environment will easily penetrate the milk. (Temperature plays a major role in yogurt production.)
- Then close the top of the container and put it in a warm place. This is a very essential step because the bacteria inside the milk needs a warm environment to produce the right texture. I suggest you to turn on the light of the oven (only the light) or to cover the container with a woolen cloth. The important thing is to maintain a constant temperature during the whole process.
- It needs around three hours for the wintertime and two and a half hours for summer time for the regular yogurt to be fully done. After obtaining the regular yogurt take a piece of cotton napkin. And use it as shown in the picture to strain the whey from the yogurt.
- It takes around 8 to 10 hours for the whey to strain from the yogurt. The cotton robe or napkin makes it easier for all the unwanted juices to strain. Just put all the regular yogurt obtained from the first step inside the cotton basket. Then tie the ends of the robe using a wooden spoon or a kitchen tool long enough to cover the diameter of the container.
Greek yogurt nutrition.
Total fat 0.4g
Saturated fat 0.1g
Benefits of Greek yougurt
Greek yogurt recipes.
Greek yogurt can be eaten anytime of the day. Since it is a "sugar free" type of yogurt you don't have to worry too much for the many spoons of yogurt you eat.
This yogurt is a little bit sour, but I like to eat at least 5 to 8 ounces of it everyday, raw or with other dishes. Some of them are :
- Baked potatoes with vegetables and Greek yogurt. The Greek yogurt is very tasty with baked ingredients. Because it adds a kick of freshness to them.
- I like to bake in the oven ordinary bread or toast it and spread the yogurt on top. Then add some pepper lemon juice and tomatoes in order to make a sandwich.
- I also suggest you to make Greek yogurt dip. Use the yogurt as a sauce. Just add lemon juice, red chili, salt and serve it along with dip in ingredients like shrimps.
- I strongly recommend use Chia seeds and chopped fruits with Greek yogurt. I like to use these seeds because of their many nutrients. Also fresh fruit like berries are always a great healthy choice.
Homemade Greek yogurt recipes.Click thumbnail to view full-size
Is Greek yogurt good for you ?
Many people are suspicious of this yogurt miraculous benefits. There are even times that they are afraid of any side effects that this product might have. But, I am not a doctor or a nutritionist so I have to say that it depends on various factors.
Sometimes the sugary content is not described as accurate as it should be. So, beware of that when you purchase the yogurt. But I know by experience that the raw Greek yogurt doesn't contain any kind of added sugars. Or you may be allergic to lactose, but that is not an issue. In fact, there are several markets that have begun to sell "coconut milk" Greek yogurt.
Although there is absolutely nothing to worry about when it is homemade, it might be an issue if you don't like the sour taste of it. The homemade Greek yogurt is not as sweet as the ones in the market. But, I think that it is worth to eat, because of it's health benefits. And yes, Greek yogurt is good for you.