Best Constipation Home Remedies
Natural Constipation Remedies
- Drink more water.
- Increase fiber.
- Take fiber supplements.
- Start an exercise routine.
- Reduce stress and anxiety.
- Meditate and stretch before and after a meal.
- Squat and rub stomach for 15-30 minutes.
- Take laxatives or milk of magnesia for relief.
- Drink prune juice.
Signs and Causes of Constipation
Do you suffer from irregular bowel movements or when you go to the bathroom nothing comes out? If so, you may suffer from constipation. Constipation is a common issue among the population and there are many ways to prevent or even cure it. Constipation is where the stools do not pass in a bowel movement and if this occurs, there is constipation and it makes it harder by the hour to pass. Every person is different with bowel movements, but a person should have a bowel movement every few hours after digestion. Usually within two to three hours. Most people don't even know they are constipated until after a few days.
Signs of constipation are:
- Straining through a bowel movement
- Small portions of stools passed through
- Hard stools
- Three or less bowel movements within a week
- Feeling bloated or stuffed
Causes of Constipation:
- Not drinking enough water- Drinking 7-8 glasses of water usually cleans out the intestines and flushes any waste and causes bowel movements.
- Not enough fiber- Taking in good fiber such as green leafy veggies, beans, nuts, certain fruits, and fiber supplements make it easier for the colon to digest food and to extract waste from the colon.
- Not enough exercise- Completing at least 30 minutes of exercise or exercising 4 or 5 times a week makes it easier for the stomach muscles to contract and let go any waste buildup in the system.
- Stress- Reducing stress is one of the most important components of complete balance for the body and causes good body control and function.
- Change in exercise or food intake- Any changes reducing or increasing exercise can upset the colon muscles, or any reduction or increase in food can change the balance of digestion and make it hard to eliminate bowels.
- Certain medications
- IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
- Pregnancy- Pregnancy causes the colon muscles to relax and for digestion to slow down which makes it hard to pass bowels.
- Cancer in the colon
If you have any signs or causes of constipation consult with a doctor about prevention and relief.
Self-Massage for Constipation Relief
- Constipation: MedlinePlus
- Constipation Symptoms, Causes, and Diagnosis
WebMD explains the causes of constipation, and how it is diagnosed and treated.
- WebMD - Better information. Better health.
The leading source for trustworthy and timely health and medical news and information. Providing credible health information, supportive community, and educational services by blending award-winning expertise in content, community services, expert co
- Health.gov | Your Portal to Health Information from the U.S. Government
Health.gov is your portal for health related resources and news from the US government. Find prevention topics, dietary and physical activity guidelines, and other health resources.