- Exercise & Fitness
How to Get Nice Thighs Quickly
Essentially, thigh muscles consist of two muscle groups - quadriceps and hamstrings. Quadriceps is located in front of your thighs, meanwhile, hamstrings is at the back. Of course, there are much more muscles in thighs, but those are most important. You do not need to emphasize others or train them separately - they get enough load while training quadriceps or hamstrings.
Ladies and gentlemen, this is what you were searching for! There are no doubts that this is the best exercise for your legs. Moreover, it stimulates not only your thigh muscles, but calves, abdominals, arms, etc.
Squats mostly emphasize quadriceps and gluteal muscles. So, the exercise is perfect for both - men and women. Squats build fantastic thigh muscles, which look muscular (this is what men wish to have, isn't it?) and change a shape of a butt (this is topical for ladies). Despite the perfectness of squats, you should bear in mind that you must do them properly! If you do not, you might have some serious back injuries!
How to do a squat - most important tips:
- Your feet and heels should not move at any point of the exercise.
- Do not allow your back to round!
- Always look straight ahead.
- Your chest and shoulders should stay upright when starting the squat.
There are a few squat variations. You can do them only with your own bodyweight and do not use any additional weights. However, I would recommend you to squat with weights, for example, a barbell or dumbbells. If you decided to do it with a barbell, you can do it in two ways:
- Back squat - when you put a barbell on traps. Usually, you can squat with the heaviest possible load while doing this type of squat. However, if you have not done them before, please consult a trainer.
- Front squat - when a barbell is put on your neck and shoulders. Not many people use this type of form.
In case you are doing back squats and feel pain when a barbell is on your traps, this is the great way out! Put the pad on your shoulders and traps, then you will not feel any discomfort and you will be able to concentrate on squats!
How to Do Squats
This is another exercise which is great for your thighs. However, it is not as effective as squats because it trains only quadriceps muscles. It is done in a special machine, so you are not able to do this at home. When doing this, do not forget to adjust the machine properly. There are some advice how you should do it:
- The pad should fall just above your feet.
- Legs form 90 degree between your upper legs (thighs) and lower legs (calves).
- The body should remain stable at all times while doing the exercise.
Basically, remember that this is an isolated exercise, which means that it targets only one muscle group (in this case, it is quadriceps). Because of that, give a priority to compound exercises, such as squats and deadlifts. Nevertheless, this is a nice thigh exercise to kill your quadriceps at the end of practice.
Leg Extension Machine
This is a leg extension machine. It helps you to develop fantastic quadriceps muscles, however, keep in mind that this exercise should not be a priority (squats and deadlifts should be!). Nevertheless, it can help you kill your thighs after a few squat sets which is good because blood flowing into your leg muscles is increased.
I would say this is the third important exercise (after squats and deadlifts) for thighs. The main working muscle is quadriceps, in addition to this, calves and hamstrings get some load as well. In order to do this, you need a machine, so you are not able to do this exercise at home, unless you have the machine at home (which is unlikely).
This cannot fully replace squats or deadlifts, but can be done instead of these if you cannot do these for some serious reasons. However, there are a few rules for these as well you should have in mind in order to avoid injuries. Here they are:
- You feet should be placed on the platform stably. The width depends on what muscles you would like to emphasize, but usually they are placed at shoulder width.
- At starting position, your torso and legs should make 90 degree angle.
- Do not fully extend your legs as it might hurt your knees.
Leg Press Machine
A fantastic machine that is very useful and efficient! This exercise is one of the most effective for your legs (just after the squats and deadlifts), so you have to perform them in order to have nice thighs! Undoubtedly, it is worth the money!
This is one of two core exercises for legs and whole body. Major trained muscle is hamstrings (back of thighs) and back. You want to look good not only your front thighs but back thighs as well, don't you? So, deadlifts can perfectly build those muscles. Many people say that this exercise is dangerous for your back. Yes, it definitely is if you do it not properly. So, I would strongly recommend you to consult a trainer or anyone who has some experience in weightlifting. If you have not done deadlifts before, start with easy loads and increase the weights only when your technique is flawless. Here take a look at most important tips for the deadlift technique:
- Keep the barbell close to your legs and body.
- Do not round your back.
- Do not pull back too much when you have lifted the barbell as you might cause an injury for your back.
There are a few deadlift variations, such as sumo deadlift or Romanian deadlift. They emphasize other muscles than original deadlift version. For instance, sumo deadlift trains harder quadriceps and glutes. Variations are recommended when you feel pain in your lower back doing an original version of deadlift.
How to Do a Deadlift
Lying Leg Curls
Lying Leg Curls is an isolated exercise which trains your hamstrings. Unfortunately, you will not be able to do this exercise until you have the lying leg curl machine. In my personal opinion, this and the easiest exercise for legs. However, you should still know some rules how to perform it properly. Those are:
- Do not swing at any point of the repetition.
- Properly adjust the machine lever to your height.
- Do exercise slowly.
This is multi-function machine which helps you to train three muscle groups - quadriceps, hamstrings and glutes. Build nice thighs and force your friends to be jealous of them!
Lying Leg Curls
Squats (more load on quads)
Deadlifts (more load on hamstrings)
What is your favourite exercise for thighs?
So, all in all, in order to get perfect legs, you should follow these advice:
- Give a priority to squats and deadlifts as they are core exercises for your thighs.
- If you feel pain in your back, replace squats/deadlifts with leg press.
- Do isolated exercises (lying leg curls or leg extensions) just after compound exercises (squats, deadlifts or leg press).
- Consult a trainer or at least watch a few videos before doing an exercise. When you are sure how to do it, only then do it.