- Exercise & Fitness
Best Pilates Products to have a Well-rounded Workout
About two years ago, I decided to take up Pilates. Since that time, I've enjoyed the benefits of this exercise. It has numerous benefits, and can take your body a long way. The popularity of this exercise has increased dramatically over the past decade, as people with different needs or goals decide to give Pilates a try. One thing that I love about Pilates is that it is for everyone, regardless of age, athleticism, or gender. Everyone can benefit from it because it has levels convenient, safe and productive for everyone.
Along with my experience, I've learned to use some products that helped enhance my Pilates experience. These products will be extremely helpful regardless of your level; beginner, intermediate, or advanced. Pilates is an ongoing experience that trains your body to move in proper posture and increases its flexibility. Using these products will help you see significant differences in your workout.
Weather you're in a class or in your own home, this is a basic essential for exercise. Unless you're fine using what they supply in class, I strongly suggest you invest in a good mat. They're lightweight, easy to transport, and can be used anywhere. Personally, they work for me because I don't have to worry about cleaning off mats when I go to class. I just roll my own mat up and keep it moving!
If you've used this in a pilates class, then you're familiar with the benefits of this supplemental device. Some of the benefits your body gets from the ring include:
- Muscle tone improvement for thighs, lower and upper body obliques
- Increase stability of hip and shoulder joints
- Can be used to tone up abs
- Helps relieve neck tension
- Excellent practice for resistance training
- Increases core strength
Using the pilates magic ring
No matter what your fitness level is, you can benefit from these simple stretching bands. They can be carried and used anywhere you want to sneak in a quick work out. Another plus is they are cost effective. They also come with amazing benefits for your pilates workout:
- Can be used at any fitness level.
- Effective workout for the muscle area of focus.
- Increases workout variety which adds flexibility and strength to your muscles.
- They come in different levels, light, medium and heavy. Make sure you determine which level you're comfortable with or consult your pilates instructor.
- Can be used with free weights, exercise machines, and pilates ring.
- As a result of increased muscle and bone strength, there is less of a chance of injury to your body.
NOTE: Most of these bands are made from latex. If you are allergic there are latex-free brands to use instead.
This is a very effective tool that helps enhance the pilates workout. The foam roller is also seen as a great stress reliever as it has the same effects as a deep-tissue massage. So you could treat our body increased circulation and reduced stress without paying massage prices. Like the bands, they also come in progressive levels so start at one that is comfortable for you. It's also important to start light and work your way up as this product is advanced compared to the others. Here is why you should invest in a foam roller:
- Increased blood flow to muscles
- Can be used anytime, but it's best to use it before you start exercising. Do this in conjunction with your stretch routine before your workout.
- Increase your range of motion.
Levels of foam roller firmness - color codes
Soft - white
Medium - blue or green
Hard - purple or black
One of the best workout tools to have, the Pilates Ball is used by anyone who is exercising or recovering from an injury. The benefits with this accessory are endless.
- Targets core muscles
- Improves posture
- Can be used at home or office for quick workouts during the day.
- Can reduce damage from sitting. Sitting for long periods of time can cause serious circulation problems. Doing some exercises on the pilates ball can reverse the effects of extended sitting.
- Encourages you to stretch more.
- Extra Tid bit - If you're at a desk all day, consider switching the regular office chair out for the pilates ball. It may feel weird at first but you will notice improvement with your posture, circulation and reduce lower back pain.