- Alternative & Natural Medicine»
- Whole-Body Health & Holistic Medicine
Biochemic medicines or Cell Salts for complete health
Biochemic medicines and how they compare with homeopathic medicines
The Biochemic System of medicine was developed by a homeopath - Dr. Schussler in 1873.
Unlike homeopathic medicines which are numerous and are available in various potency or scales, the biochemic remedies are just twelve in number and are available in 3X, 6X, 12X, 30X, and 200X potency. Most commonly used are 3X, 6X and 12 X .
There are some schools of thought which are of the opinion that Biochemic medicines are an offshoot of homeopathy. However there are quite a number of differences between homeopathic medicines and biochemic medicines.
Homeopathy works on the premises that "like cures like" which means that any substance which is capable of produced a reaction / disturbance in the body has the capacity of curing that disease when introduced in the body in infinitesimally small quantities whereas the basic theory in biochemic medicines is that disease is caused by insufficiency of organic salts in the tissues/cells of the body and supplying the deficient salt(s) will cure the disease.
Also there are innumerable number of homeopathy medicines and more are being developed everyday, there have been no additions to the twelve basic cell salts identified by Dr. Schussler more than 100 years ago.
The biochemic medicines come in the form of small sweet milk sugar tablets which dissolve easily in water and usually 3- 4 tablets make a dosage . The efficacy of the medicine is improved by having them dissolved in lukewarm water to aid absorption. For homeopathic medicines the best way to take is under the tongue and definitely not with any water.
In my opinion biochemic medicines are a safer bet as a home remedy than even homeopathy where you have to very carefully match the symptom as well as the nature of the person being treated to arrive at the correct medicine which is best left to a homeopath.
This is where the biochemic salts win out as an alternative home remedy as they are not known to have side effects and the broad definitions against each cell salt gives an idea which salt can be used for which disease.
The 12 tissue salts
Dr. Schussler identified 12 tissue salts or cell salts which are listed below:
1) Calcarea Fluor - is an essential part of bones, teeth, blood vessel walls, ligaments, and muscles. It is invaluable in the prevention and treatment of arthritis, muscle weakness, dental caries, cataract, and varicose veins. It helps in maintaining tissue elasticity. It helps in blood circulation and helps in treating muscle strain , injured ligaments. It can be used for problems of bones and restoration of teeth enamel.
2) Calcarea Phos - is a tissue salt that is found in the teeth, bones, and blood. It is known as a cell restorer. It may be used as a general tonic. Deficiency of this salt causes weak bones, damaged teeth, loss of appetite, stunted growth, generalized weakness, chronic fatigue.
3) Calcarea Sulph - is constituent of connective tissue, mucous membrane . It acts as an blood purifier, antibiotic and drives out toxins. Helps to clear away decaying matter. It is useful for treating inflammatory conditions with pus formation like pimples, boils and abscesses.
4) Ferrum Phos -is found in the blood cells. It acts as oxygen carrier and is beneficial in any fever or inflammatory condition. Its deficiency leads to anemia and poor oxygenation of tissues. Helps to maintain normal body resistance to disease. It may also be used on wounds after making a paste with clean water for rapid healing and prevention of infection.
5) Kali Mur- The deficiency of this salt leads to respiratory problems and gastrointestinal complaints such as indigestion, diarrhea, or constipation. It acts as a de-toxifier and is beneficial for reducing mucous congestion in case of colds. This salt is also used for glandular / rheumatic swelling. It can be used along with Ferrum phos for a variety of children's ailments. It gives important support to the liver and is helpful in digestive problems.
6) Kali Phos - Deficiency of this cell salt leads to symptoms like headaches , nervous exhaustion , anxiety, sleeplessness, poor memory, and nervous irritation. It is also useful for treating emotional disturbances like depression and tantrums. From treatment of shingles and nervous asthma it can be used along with Mag Phos.
7) Kali Sulph - is found in the skin and arteries. It is of great value in the treatment of skin diseases. It has also been found useful in the treatment of middle ear inflammation and hormonal imbalances. It is also indicated for catarrhal conditions where the mucous is greenish or yellow. It is also used for the treatment of psoriasis, athletes foot etc.
8) Mag Phos, is found in the white matter of the nervous system and the bone marrow. It relaxes smooth muscles and hence is an excellent anti-spasmodic painkiller, that can be used for migraines, colic, painful cramps during menses, or even angina. It may be used successfully to treat baby's colic pain.
9) Natrum Mur which is Sodium chloride - the most important electrolyte in the human body. Its deficiency state is characterized by dehydration, palpitations, disorientation, constipation, and severe prostration. Helps to control degree of moisture in the body. Gives relief in sneezing, colds, constipation.
10) Natrum phos is a cellular component that plays a vital role in the regulation of water along with sodium chloride- Natrum Mur. Lack of this salt can lead to imbalance in the water content of the body, precipitating edema and diarrhea. It is known as the acidity regulator. Helps to maintain the alkalinity of blood and provides relief in rheumatism/ gout by keeping the uric acid soluble. Used to treat gastric reflux/ indigestion / dyspepsia/ intestinal worms.
11) Natrum Sulph eliminates excess water from tissues and associated toxic fluids. It also acts as a liver cleanser and is necessary for optimum functioning of liver, spleen , pancreas and kidneys. Helps in treating liver troubles, influenza, gout etc.
12) Silicea - acts as skin and connective tissue conditioner. It is beneficial for normal health of hair,skin and nails. It promotes suppuration of wounds and helps expel foreign bodies lodged in wounds /drains abscesses naturally. In the first stage of a skin eruption, Ferrum Phos and Kali Mur may be given but if they fail to check the eruption from developing, Silicea may be given to drain the pus.
28 Combinations of Tissue salts
Teething trouble in children
Five Phos - Nerves / brain tonic