Blackheads, also known as 'open comedones', are the oil deposition in the pores. People usually thinks that they are the dirt deposited in the pores, which is not true. Blackheads are formed due the reaction of the waxy substance secreted by the sweat glands called sebum with air and dead cells which results in the oxidation of the melanin pigments. They are black due to this oxidation process.
Causes of blackheads:
There may be many reasons for which blackheads formation takes place. That may include:
- Poor hygiene may result in the formation of blackheads.
- Excess use of makeups may result in blackheads. Excess use of moisturizers and sunscreen also increases the chances of blackheads.
- Sudden change in hormonal level also induces blackhead formation. Secretion of sex hormones in boys during puberty and change in the level of hormones during menstrual cycle and pregnancy also results in blackheads.
- High stress is another factor that leads to blackheads.
- Tight clothing causes physical irritation which results in excess secretion of oil hence increases the chances of blackheads.
- Pollution also results in blackheads.
Home remedies for blackheads:
- Maintain hygiene. People usually faces blackheads problem on face but sometimes blackhead formation may take place on other body parts like back and chest. So hygiene is the first thing to prevent blackheads.
- Facial scrubs will help in removing blackheads. Exfoliating face and body once a week will help a lot.
- Directly applying undiluted lemon juice will also prevent and remove blackheads.
- Steaming is a very common method. You can go for steam facials or steam treatments at home. Allow steam from hot water on your face. Put towel over your head to prevent the steam to escape. This will soften your pores and will make easy to remove the blackheads.
- Other than steaming, you should take warm shower to open up your pores.
- Rubbing garlic bulbs on the affected areas are also effective. They also possess antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- Make a paste of pomegranate skin (roasted and powdered) and fresh lime juice. Apply it on the affected areas. It's also effective in curing whiteheads and acne.
- Make a paste by grinding the orange peel and water. Apply it to the affected areas.
- Applying rose water everyday twice after washing your face is also useful in preventing blackheads.
- Grated potato poultice is also very effective in treating blackheads.
- You can also warm honey and apply to blackheads. Leave it as it is for 15-20 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
- Make a paste of ground drumstick pods and leaves and fresh lemon juice and apply it to blackheads.
- Applying the white portion of egg also works on removing blackheads.
- Mix sandlewood and turmeric and make a paste with milk. Apply the paste to the affected portions.
- Paste of powdered almond and rose water is also helpful.
- Make a paste by mixing honey and cinammon powder in the ratio 3:1. Apply the paste overnight and rinse next morning with warm water.
- Applying the paste of mint juice and turmeric also helps in deleting blackheads. Apply it and leave for 15-20 minutes.
- You can damp a cloth or towel to hot water at tolerable temperature and put on your face. Repeat the process 3-4 times.
- Don't go for steams if you have a very sensitive skin or broken blood vessels. In such cases only take warm showers.
- It may take more than one time to completely remove the blackheads. So, have patience. Repeat the method of your choice everyday gently.
- Protect your eyes from all the pastes and scrubs.
- The water should be at tolerable temperature (18th point) otherwise it will cause blisters.
- Use the steam process not more than 2 times per week.
- Never sqeeze out your blackheads. This may cause inflammation.
- Always use warm water to rinse your face for removing the pastes.
- Be GENTLE with your face.
- Always use facewashes for your face and not soap.
- Use gentle cleanser for your face to clean out the makeups and sunscreen.