- Aging & Longevity
Board and Care Homes in Orange County
Board and care homes are also known as residential care facilities or adult foster care. They provide assisted living in a residential setting with a family feel. While licensed by the state of California, board and care homes in Orange County are not maintained or regulated by the county. They are privately owned and admission is determined by the owner.
Pros of Board and Care Homes
If you are looking for the best assisted living situation for your loved one, board and care homes offer several advantages people find attractive.
- Staff to resident ratio: The majority of board and care homes are smaller. In California more than 90% of residential care homes are licensed for six residents or less.
- Privacy: Smaller homelike settings provide an extra measure of privacy not found in larger facilities.
- Around the clock care.
- Allows residents to remain socially active with other residents.
Disadvantage of Board and Care Homes
The main disadvantage to choosing a board and care home is that they are not licensed to provide skilled nursing care. As your loved one ages and their needs change, they may have to be moved to another care facility to meet their medical care needs.
Questions to Ask
Plan to talk with the manger of homes you're considering and organize your questions ahead of time to be sure you get all the information you need to make an informed decision. Use this list of commonly asked questions as you base:
- How many residents live there?
- Are private rooms available or are all rooms shared? How many to a room?
- Is it a no smoking facility?
- If smoking is allowed, where are residents allowed to smoke?
- Is there a list of house rules available?
- What can residents bring with them? Furniture? TV?
- Are pets allowed?
- What type of activities are provided?
- Is transportation provided to doctor and other appointments?
- What is the cost and what does that include?
- Do they accept long-term care insurance or Medicare?
- Is the staff insured and bonded?
- Do they offer a care assessment and assisted living evaluation? If so is there a cost for this service?
- How to Choose an Assisted Living Community in San Diego
Trying to sort through all the decisions that need to be made can be challenging with so many options available for assisted-senior living.
- Board and Care Homes in San Diego
Services differ from one board and care home to another, and it is not uncommon to find homes that offer specialized care such as for Alzheimer's care.
- Finding Elder Care Facilities in Orange County
Orange County, California, offers many options in elder care from assisted living facilities in larger cities to 55+ homes by the beach.
Board and care homes provide assisted living services that allow seniors to enjoy a measure of independence along with getting the care and supervision they need. Meals are provided, and in some cases residents are allowed to help prepare meals and take part in daily life according to their capabilities. Some board and care homes in Orange County provide specialized care for elderly people who are physically impaired or who suffer from mental impairment resulting from dementia or Alzheimer's.
Board and Care Homes in Orange County Growing in Popularity
With the increase in seniors living in Orange County, Board and Care Homes are growing in popularity as an assisted living choice. There are tools available to help you find a home in Orange County, but it is important for you to do the research to be sure it is the right home for your loved one.