Body Types Diet- Adrenal Body Type
Dr. Abravanel's Body Type or Metabolism Based Diet
If you have taken Dr. Abravanel’s body type test and found that you have an adrenal-type metabolism, congratulations! You are a powerful person who enjoys a hearty appetite and is blessed with good digestion. When healthy, you have a steady flow of energy throughout the day.
You prefer rich and salty foods over sweet ones. When hungry, you are more likely to reach for a juicy hamburger or a chunk of cheese instead of a cookie. On the downside you crave butter, meat or other cholesterol-rich foods that stimulate your adrenal hormones. This, in turn, can eventually lead to high blood pressure and heart disease. You must get the cravings under control in order to reach your ideal weight and shape and to balance out your health.
If you are an overweight adrenal type, your friends probably say things like, "Don’t worry about your weight, you carry it well". Or "You’re not fat, you’re just muscular or big-boned". At your ideal weight, though, you are solidly built and well-balanced with a thick waist and a body built for power instead of speed.
If you have not yet taken Dr. Abravanel’s body type test, please click here:
If you would like to read an overview of Dr. Abravanel’s body type diet and find out why it really works, please click here:
Learn how Dr. Abravanel's Diet will improve your mood:
If you have another type of metabolism, please click on the appropriate one listed below:
- Body Types Diet- Thyroid Body Type
- Body Types Diet- Gonadal Body Type
- Body Types Diet- Pituitary Body Type
This diet will work wonders for you if you’re willing to follow it religiously. If in doubt, why not commit to just 30 days of following the diet plan? If you aren't pleased with the results then no harm done, right? But once you begin to see the benefits of this diet, you will find it a pleasure rather than a burden. You will feel better, look better and learn to control your food cravings. You will lose weight quicker than ever before and will enjoy a reduced appetite and more energy, something that has probably been your barrier to successful dieting in the past.
The A-type diet will reestablish balance in your system. You will cut back on the adrenal-stimulating foods such as red meat, full-fat cheese and salty foods and increase foods that stimulate the other metabolic glands. These foods include fresh vegetables, whole grains, fruit, light dairy products (cottage cheese, yogurt, low fat milk) and small amounts of caffeine and sugar. Most of the protein you consume will come from poultry and fish. Your metabolism type adjusts well to a vegetarian diet, although being a vegetarian is not necessary for you to lose weight and balance your metabolism.
In summary, you will consume less red meat and full fat cheese and instead eat plenty of vegetables, whole grains and fruit. Most of your protein will come from poultry and fish and you will also be allowed to consume light dairy products and small amounts of caffeine and sugar.
Where did you first hear about Dr. Abravanel's diet plan?
The Basic Plan: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
One important key to successful dieting for an A-type metabolism is to eat a light breakfast. Adrenal types are usually of the bacon, eggs and buttered toast school, but a hearty breakfast will only stimulate your appetite and make you ravenously hungry all day. Cereal or dairy products are a much better way to start your day as they provide mild thyroidal and pituitary stimulation.
Lunch will also be light, a salad or cooked vegetables, dairy products or fish and fruit. This will help keep your appetite under wraps. Otherwise it will accelerate throughout the day, making dieting nearly impossible in the evening. Dinner is your main meal, although it will still not be heavy: Poultry, fish or legumes, vegetables and fruit.
It is also important that you observe intervals between meals while losing weight. Try to space breakfast and lunch four hours apart. Wait six hours after lunch to eat dinner. During these hours your body will more effectively burn fat.
You will be mostly tempted to snack in the late afternoon, when you are tired and have an increased appetite. Instead of snacking, drink mineral water or parsley tea. Or you can make vegetable soup (recipe at the end of this article) and snack on that. If you absolutely must have a snack and soup is not an option, then have half a carton of yogurt or half a glass of skim milk.
Parsley tea will help you stay on the diet. It has a purifying effects on the adrenals and is mildly diuretic. Make parsley tea by adding a teaspoon of dried (not fresh) parsley leaves to boiling water. Allow to steep for five minutes. Do not boil the leaves. Strain and serve. You may add a half teaspoon of sugar or honey if you wish.
Below is a basic outline of your diet. All meat, poultry and fish should be boiled, grilled or baked with visible fat removed. Vegetables may be steamed, boiled or sautéed with the permitted amount of oil. Take the skin off of poultry. Do not omit anything. Everything is there for a reason.
Don't Forget to...
Don't forget to start the first week or two on the Basic Diet Plan. Then switch to the Last Five Pounds Diet, designed to stimulate your strong metabolism which may be reluctant to lose weight at first. You can only stay on the Last Five Pounds Diet for a week at a time. Alternate it with the Basic Diet Plan until you have lost the desired weight.
Basic Meal Plan
- 1 cup yogurt OR ½ cup low fat cottage cheese OR 1 cup whole grain cereal with ½ cup skim milk
- Coffee, tea or parsley tea with a small amount of sugar or honey, if desired.
- Large green salad of lettuce, or other greens and cucumber, mushrooms, celery, sprouts, radishes, bell pepper, tomato or onion. 1 tablespoon of clear diet dressing (not creamy, not even the reduced fast type) or 1 teaspoon of olive or canola oil
- ½ cup cooked sweet vegetables such as beets, carrots, pumpkin, squash or turnip
- 1 ½ cups of plain yogurt OR 1 cup low fat cottage cheese OP 3 ounces low fat firm cheese (mozzarella or string) OR 3 ounces fish (not shellfish)
- 1 small piece (or 1 cup) of fruit
- 1 serving of grain: 1 slice of whole grain bread, ½ cup cooked grain such as brown rice or quinoa or ½ cup pasta
- Coffee, tea or parsley tea
- 4 ounces of white meat poultry, fish meat OR 2 eggs OR ¾ cup legumes. (Eat eggs no more than twice a week and beef no more than 3 times a week)
- 1 grain serving (1/2 cup) either whole or refined bread, grain or pasta
- Steamed vegetables, as much as you like
- 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil (use it to prepare the eggs, veggies or fish)
- 1 glass of skim milk
- Choice of fruits or 2 chocolate cookies or fruit ice (dessert only allowed twice a week). See recipes below
- Parsley tea
Vary the menu by choosing dinners built around foods such as chicken burgers (without skin, not fried), water packed tuna, steamed or baked fish, sushi, a 4 ounce grilled steak, or a fresh herb omelette.
If you need to lose more than 5 pounds, Dr. Abravanel recommends following a week or two of this basic diet with the Last Five Pounds Diet, a special diet program which encourages rapid weight loss at only 1,000 calories per day. You can follow this special diet for a week at a time, alternating with the basic diet program until you lose the desired weight. Only follow the Five Pounds Diet for a week at a time. Then switch back to the basic diet program for 1-3 weeks, depending on the amount of weight you need to lose.
A-Type Diet in a Nutshell
Low or non-far dairy
Coffee and tea
Last Five Pounds Diet
- 1 cup of plain yogurt OR ½ cup cottage cheese OR 1 cup whole grain cereal with ½ cup skim milk
- Coffee, tea or parsley tea with sweetener, if desired.
WAIT FIVE HOURS
- Vegetable soup (recipe at the end of this article), as much as you like
- 1 slice whole grain bread without butter
- 1 piece of fruit
- Parsley tea
WAIT SIX HOURS
- 4 ounces of chicken, turkey or fish OR 2 eggs (eggs only twice a week, please)
- 1 tsp olive oil or other healthy oil
- ½ cup whole grain (brown rice, whole wheat pasta) OR 1 slice whole grain bread
- Vegetable soup, as much as you like
- Parsley tea
Adrenal Diet Recipes
A-TYPE VEGETABLE SOUP
- Green pepper
- Chinese snow peas
- Celery tops
Use equal quantities of veggies. Chop vegetables coarsely and place in a large pot of water or chicken stock without fat. Boil for 5-10 minutes, or until tender. Add a pinch of pepper but no salt. This is a safe snack to eat while on the weight loss diet. Keep it in the fridge and reheat as you like.
- 1 pound of ripe fruit
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 enveloped unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
Sprinkle gelatin over lemon juice. Let stand. In a small pan combine sugar with 1 cup of water. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil and simmer, uncovered and without stirring, for 5 miutes. Remove from heat. Add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Puree fruit in blender until smooth. Add gelatin mixture. Blend until smooth. Place in small pan and freeze for 2 hours. Turn into a chilled bowl and beat with a hand or stand mixer until smooth but not melted. Return to pan and freeze several hours, until firm.
Makes 8 servings
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 6 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 2 cookie sheets. In a small bowl beat whites until stiff. Add sugar, one tablespoonful at a time, until smooth and glossy and sugar has dissolved. Fold in chocolate and vanilla. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets and bake 15 minutes.
Makes 60 cookies.
CLEAR SALAD DRESSING
- 1 cup red wine or cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs
Boil, cool and let stand at room temperature until ready to serve. Strain and use on any vegetable salad. Or mix 2 teaspoons of plain yogurt with the herbs and use it as salad dressing. Or just squeeze lemon juice over a salad. You will come to love it.
Recipes taken from Dr. Abravanel's Body Type Diet and Lifetime Nutrition Plan. The book has a more complete diet plan and more recipes, too.