- Diet & Weight Loss
Burn More Calories to Lose Weight
We burn calories every minute of every day- it is unavoidable! Here are some things you do everyday that burn (these should make you feel good):
The average woman burns:
- 3 calories getting out of bed
- 10 calories just bushing her teeth
- 15 calories ironing her clothes for work
- 20 calories getting dressed
- 25 calories making herself breakfast
- 30 calories putting on makeup
- 40 calories searching for her car keys
- 60 calories showering each morning
And that is just in the first 30 hour of your day- imagine how much to burn all day long! So don't beat yourself up over eating that brownie, just find a way to burn it off.
Try these substitutes to help you burn more:
- Instead of taking the elevator, take the stairs you will burn at least 40 more calories!
- Instead of taking the closest parking spot, take one further out, an extra ¼ mile walk will help you burn an extra 30 calories!
- Instead of microwaving your diner, try cooking something new, you will burn at least 40 more calories!
- Instead of taking your car to the car wash, wash it yourself, you will burn at least 80 more calories!
- Instead hiring a yard crew, mow the lawn yourself, you will burn at least an extra 200 calories!
So by now you should be getting the idea, the more you move- the more you burn! Each of us can look at our lives and make substitutions- weather it is taking the stairs instead of the elevator or walking during our lunch break- every step- every movement counts. And trust me, they add up!
If you are wondering how much you burn in a day check out this website:
Play with it and you will see that even walking an extra 5 minutes, or cleaning a little more per week, or even more sex can make a difference in the calories you are burning.
If you are trying to lose weight the idea is to burn more than you are putting in- one way measure this is to add up the calories you take-in in a day and compare to the number of calories you burn in a day (using the calculator on the website above). Don't drive yourself crazy though- counting calories everyday can definitely make one lose their mind! Just try it for a day or two to get an idea of where you need more help.