- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
Buy the Best Water Soluble Cinnamon Extract to Reduce Your Risk of Diabetes
Cinnamon is one of those spices that we've all tried and everyone knows that it tastes great in cookies, pies, muffins, drinks, etc. What you may not know, however, is that cinnamon extract has been shown in recent studies to help lower blood glucose levels, meaning that it may be able to reduce the risk of diabetes. Cinnamon has in fact been shown to even help lower the blood glucose levels of people who already have Type II Diabetes.This is exciting news!
What is cinnamon?
- Cinnamon is a spice that has been around for centuries and is even referred to in the Bible. It is made out of the inner bark of a tree called Cinnamomum that originally comes from Asia but is now grown in various parts of the world. The majority still comes from Sri Lanka.
- Cinnamon is used as a spice in the kitchen but is also believed to have medicinal properties including the ability to lower glucose levels for the prevention and treatment of Diabetes.
- Cinnamon has a sweet and spicy flavor. Like any spice, you will really need to try it for yourself in order to appreciate its complexity.
Are all types of cinnamon created equal?
- The short answer is no. There are many types of cinnamon trees, the most common being Cinnamomum verum and Cinnamomum aromaticum. The former is considered to make a higher quality cinnamom that contains only negligible amounts of a toxic substance called coumarin that is present in higher amounts in the latter.
- People have been consuming cinnamon for centuries without any ill effects.
Water Soluble Cinnamon Extract Capsules
What kind of cinnamon should you buy?
- You can buy cinnamon in many different forms: whole cinnamon sticks, cinnamon extract, cinnamon oil, cinnamon capsules, and ground cinnamon. It is best to buy water soluble (aqueous) cinnamon if you are interested in preventing diabetes because this is the kind that was used in the various studies. Also, any kind of water soluble substance - not just cinnamon - easily passes through the body and is less likely to build up.
- How can you tell what is water soluble cinnamon? Generally, any kind of cinnamon except whole cinnamon sticks is considered water soluble to some degree. For example, ground cinnamon is made of about half water soluble and half fat soluble cinnamon. This is a great form of cinnamon because you can sprinkle it on your cereal or toast, etc. If you're looking for the most water soluble cinnamon, however, your best bet is probably to buy cinnamon capsules (see right) because they are suspended in liquid.
What else is cinnamon good for?
In addition to lowering blood glucose levels, cinnamon is also thought to help lower triglycerides and LDL (bad) cholesterol. Other potential benefits of cinnamon include:
- digestive aid
- wards off viral and fungus infections
How much cinnamon do you need?
- For maximum health benefits including lowering blood sugar levels, plan on having about 1/2 teaspoon everyday if you're using ground cinnamon. If you're using the more water soluble cinnamon capsules, consult the directions that come with the bottle.