- Diet & Weight Loss
Eating Calcium Rich Foods
Calcium rich vegetables
When I first started looking for calcium rich food I found myself thinking that there are a surprising number of vegetables out there containing a high level of calcium. Then I realized that almost every vegetable out there is rich in calcium. Duh!!! Yup, vegetables contain a load of calcium, cooked or raw.
I could bore you by listing all of the vegetables and their own personal level of calcium, one by one, but I won't do that. Of course if I get a request or two I would create a hub doing just that. Trust me, just about every vegetable you will pick up will contain a healthy level of calcium. Anyway, I decided to include recipes for people who do not eat meat or their by products. It's easier than you think to follow a vegetarian diet without losing some of those important nutrients that everyone knows you need. So here goes, Hope you enjoy these recipes. I know my family does.
Why do we need calcium?
I'm sure we all know we need calcium to help maintain healthy, strong bones and teeth. But, do you know why calcium is such a major mineral for us? I decided to do a little research and see what I could find out about calcium and it's benefits to our bodies.
Here is what I found out:
- If your diet is low in calcium it increases the risk of you developing high blood pressure of hypertension. If you already have high blood pressure, it may increase the severity of it.
- There have been studies showing that a diet high in calcium may help prevent weight gain. The reason for this is that calcium promotes more fat to be burned and less fat to be stored. I like this benefit.
- There is evidence that if you have a diet low in calcium you run a higher risk of colon cancer. A diet rich in calcium may reduce the risk of developing cancer in the lower part of your colon.
- Not only does a high calcium diet reduce the risk of colon can, but also ovarian and breast cancers. There is some evidence that prostate cancer also benefit s from a higher level of calcium.
- Ladies, this one is for you. If you don't get enough dietary calcium, your hormones that regulate calcium will react with estrogen and progesterone and trigger that much dreaded PMS. Personally, I'd rather ingest more calcium than have PMS.
- Calcium also helps your to keep your heart beating regularly and strongly.
- Degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's, osteoporosis, and Parkinson's disease, are directly related to calcium deficiency.
- Calcium is also needed for proper nerve transmission and the healthy development of the system. If your diet is low in calcium you run the risk of memory loss and insomnia.
1 cup sliced fresh celery
1 cup sliced fresh carrots
1 cup sliced green peppers
1/2 cup sliced onion
1 cup fresh green beans
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
1 14 oz block tofu, cut into cubes
3 cloves garlic
fresh chopped cilantro, to taste
ground black pepper
1 vegetable broth cube
1/2 cup water
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Steam all fresh vegetables for 4 to 5 minutes.
Combine all ingredients into large casserole dish presprayed with spray oil.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Serve with a side salad and a whole wheat roll.
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1 cup sliced onion
2 cups Broccoli florets
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup bean sprouts
soy sauce, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup precooked white rice
Heat oil in large fry pan or wok. Add garlic and onions and cook until onions turn transparent.
Add broccoli florets, green peppers, and water and cook for about 5 minutes or until broccoli is tender but still crisp.
Add bean sprouts and white rice and heat until rice is hot.
Sprinkle with soy sauce and enjoy
Sweet Potato Casserole
2 large cans Yams
2 tbsp margarine
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mash canned yams.
Spray casserole dish with butter flavored cooking spray.
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Add to casserole dish and bake uncovered for 25 minute
Orange glazed baby carrots
2 lbs. baby carrots
3 tbsp butter
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup orange juice
Place baby carrots and orange juice in large saucepan. Add just enough water to cover carrots. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Cook for about 20 minutes of until carrots are tender.
- Skin and health care benefits of Calcium Bentonite C...
Calcium Bentonite clay is one of the most powerful cleansing and detoxifying clays. It has greater absorbing powers than other types of clay. Molecules of Calcium Bentonite Clay have a strong negative charge and attract positively charged toxins and.
- Calcium Rich Foods for Calcium Deficiency
Some of the calcium rich foods to get over calcium deficiency are diary products, fish, fruits and vegetables.
- The "Skinny" on Calcium and Weight Loss
The Skinny on Calcium and Weight Loss provides valuable information about calcium and the role it plays in weight loss and the reduction of omentum fat. This is part of my Battling Belly Fat series that reveals natural ways to reduce the size...
- Calcium Deficiency Causes: Calcium in Foods and Calc...
Calcium deficiency is a major concern in the United States. Over 75% of Americans don't get what they need. Calcium does ninety percent of its work building bone mass during the first seventeen years of life with the balance occurring by age twenty..
© 2010 Susan Haze