Natural Mood Boosters for Depression
Depression Connections in the Brain
- The Best Supplements For Depression
Supplements can be used as a more natural form of anti-depressants. Here is a list of what supplements you can take and what they do for you.
Why Go Natural?
You may be wonder why you should even search out ways of dealing with depression naturally when you can just pop a pill and be on your way. If you have ever watched the commercials for anti-depressant medications, there is a laundry list of negative side effects. Sometimes when I see these, I would rather just deal with my depression than some of the things I could experience from the medication. The pills you take to combat your depression can sometimes cause irreversible damage to your health.
General Tips on Pulling Yourself Out of a Rut
- Don't fall into the trap of being depressed and sitting on the couch all day in your PJ's. Even if you feel horrible and don't want to do anything.This will likely make it worse.
- Surround yourself with people; more specifically, encouraging people. Engage in conversation. It is hard to stay depressed while being social.
- Get out and do something you love, no matter whether you "feel like it" or not.
- Trick yourself! Just smile and see what happens. Your mind will actually think you're happy if your body is doing something it would do if you were happy.
Chemical Causes of Depression
There are three neurotransmitters that play a big role in depression. These chemicals are serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. Depression is typically a result of a lack of these chemicals or a limited supply. Serotonin has been shown to have a calming effect, soothing and generating general feelings of contentment. Research has shown that depression sufferers have lower levels of homovanillic acid. This acid helps to metabolize dopamine in the Central Nervous System. Norepinephrine is a neurotransmitter commonly called adrenaline. This is what helps us recognize and deal with stress. Norepinephrine is typically the chemical addressed in anti-depressants.
Ways to Increase Serotonin
- Get out into the sun. Sunlight releases serotonin stores in the central nervous system.
- Eat more fiber and less processed carbohydrates. This will release insulin into your bloodstream which allows a serotonin producing amino acid to freely flow to your brain.
- Exercise. This reduces stress. Stress robs the brain of serotonin.
- Get better sleep. Serotonin is produced primarily while you sleep.
- Make sure you get enough Vitamin B, Calcium and Magnesium. These are important in Serotonin production.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and fake sugars. These give you an artificially good feeling and make mood regulation more difficult.
Ways to Increase Dopamine
- Eat ripe bananas. The more a banana matures, the more natural dopamine it contains. The "bruises" on bananas have the most.
- Eat foods rich in antioxidants. These help get rid of free radicals in your body which lower dopamine levels.
- Reduce the amount of sugary foods and saturated fats in your diet. These reduce the amount of dopamine in your bloodstream.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks. Caffeine causes a spike in serotonin a short time and then causes a drop in dopamine.
- Eat raw almonds, sunflower seeds or sesame seeds.
- Purchase natural amino acids supplements that will give you a dopamine boost.
Ways to Increase Norepinephrine
- Take a supplement with L-tyrosine, L-phenylalanine or St. John's wort.
- Get least 30 minutes of physical activity 5 days per week.
Other Great Resources
- What is Serotonin Deficiency and How to Increase Serotonin Levels with Foods
Serotonin levels, how they are produced and how they are received have been found to cause issues with depression and insomnia. Provides a description of serotonin, areas it affects and foods which may naturally boost serotonin levels. Also cautions
- Motivational Tips For Depression-6 Ways To Feel Better
Depression is a dark and sorrowful disease. It can strike anyone at anytime. Here you will find 6 motivational tips to feel better from the grips of depression.
Do you take medication for your depression?
I acknowledge, not everyone can deal with their depression through these natural means. Talk to your doctor before you avoid or discontinue any medication.