- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
Caregiver Health, Personal Tips for Self Care and Wellness
Facts About Caregivers
- 65 million people care for a chronically ill, disabled or ageing relative or friend every year
- These caregivers spend 20 hours per week providing care for a loved one
- Family caregivers provide for free services valued at twice the amount spent on homecare and nursing home services combined
- The typicalfamily caregiveris a woman who is employed outside the home and caring for her 69 year-old mother.
- There are 1.4 million children caring for adults over 50 years of age, these children range in age from 8 to 18
- 7 out of 10 caregivers are caring for an ageing parent over age 50
- 78% of adults living in the community who need long-term care receive help from family caregivers
Self Care for Caregivers, Create "ME TIME"
Ask for Help
You are not alone, over 78% of the care needs of elders is met through family caregivers. is stressful and demanding, it is important to have support from other family members, friends or in-home care. Arrange periodic times weekly for breaks of several hours so you can have some "ME TIME." Caregiving
Contact Local Agencies
Department of Human Services/ Seniors and People with Disabilities
DHS agencies have many resources both direct and referral sources of support. Although the agency primarily supports lower income families, there are a variety of services case managers may be able to connect you with including food stamps, respite care and housing.
Area Administration on Ageing (AoA)
Area Agencies on ageing primarily operate the Meals-on-Wheels program at the local level. However, they are a great resource for a variety of low cost services including private caregivers, nutritional counceling, respite care and community events. Like DHS they serve lower income elders, but act as a great starting point for help.
Adult Day Care
Adult day care is a great option for finding time to unwind and rejuvinate yourself. Adult day care costs range from $30.00 per day to over $100.00 per day depending on your area. Like other types of retirement commnity options adult day care communities offer a variety of services including activities, meals and companship for your family member.
Take a Vacation, Respite Care at a Retirement Community
Many retirement communities specifically Residential Care communities offer short term respite care apartments for higher need elders in support of family caregivers. This option can offer a way for a caregiver to get away for a longer period of time. offer the full service from meals to transportation for elders as well as a safe and secure enviornment. Retirement communities