Castor Oil Therapy With Castor Oil Packs
Read My Article On Benefits Of Castor Oil
- Benefits Of Castor Oil
Castor oil has been traditionally used as a folk medicine to treat a variety of health conditions. To read how you can reap the various benefits of castor oil, read on...
About Edgar Cayce And Castor Oil Packs
Castor oil has been used as a natural healing agent by folk healers for treating a variety of ailments since ancient times. You can read my hub on the benefits of castor oil by clicking the link to the right of this paragraph.
Edgar Cayce was a psychic and known as the father of holistic medicine. He gave psychic readings while in a trance and most of these are related to holistic health and treatment of diseases. These readings are in fact answers to the thousands of questions posed to him by those seeking answers to their problems.
Edgar Cayce popularized the benefits of castor oil packs. The benefits were later researched by his follower, Physician William McGarey, author of the book "The Oil That Heals" who found that castor oil packs increased lymphocyte production significantly. He said that castor oil is absorbed through the skin and it benefits the immune system by improving the working of the thymus and other glands.
As is known, lymphocytes are our body's disease fighters that are produced and stored in the lymphatic tissue, that is, the thymus, spleen and lymph nodes.
A network of lymphatic tubules is spread out throughout the body for the toxic wastes to be collected and transported to the blood for removal. however, when the lymphatic system is not working well it leads to lymphatic congestion or accumulation of toxic wastes and this leads to sickness and disease.
When castor oil packs are applied on the skin the oil is absorbed, lymphocyte count increases and normal working of the lymphatic system is restored. Toxins get removed and healing sets in.
What Is A Castor Oil Pack
Very simply, castor oil pack is a piece or pieces of cloth soaked in castor oil that is placed externally on the skin.
A heating pad is used over this pad to keep it warm. Cotton or wool flannel is the preferred type of cloth as it can absorb and hold a lot of castor oil. The pack is made from several layers of flannel.
How To Use The Castor Oil Pack
Usually, the castor oil pack is placed on the right side of the abdomen extending from a little above the bottom of the breastbone to about 4 inches below the navel. As much of the right side of the abdomen is covered as possible. The pack can also be placed on inflammations and swellings like joints or muscle sprains.
The castor oil pack needs to be heated before using it and a heating pad or a hot water bottle is kept on top of the pad for the entire duration of the therapy, about 1-2 hours, to maintain the warmth.
The pack needs to be discarded after about 25-30 uses or earlier if it smells rancid.
How To Use The Castor Oil Pack
- Soak the flannel pieces in castor oil. Remove when saturated. Wring out the excess oil so that it does not drip.
The flannel pieces should be large enogh to cover the area as explained earlier or about 12" by 18".
- Before lying down, spread a plastic sheet on the bed to protect the bedding.
- Place the pack on the abdomen and cover it with a piece of plastic.
- Keep the heating pad/hot water bottle over this. Cover this with a towel to contain the heat.
- Keep it in place for 1 to 2 hours.
Before getting up wipe off the oil with a paper towel. The area can be washed with soap and water or if needed with a baking soda solution made by adding 2 tsp baking soda to 1 liter of water.
The castor oil pack should be stored in plastic container that is kept in a cool dark place, like the refrigerator when not in use.
After using the pack for 3 days, start consuming 1 tsp olive oil every evening. Preferably, do this therapy just before going to bed.
The castor oil pack improves the blood flow and helps to eliminate the toxic wastes.
Some Points Of Note
- Use cold pressed castor oil.
- Add fresh castor oil to the pack when needed.
- Use the castor oil pack for 3 days. Then give a gap of 4 days. Repeat.
- Replace the pack when necessary.
- Avoid taking this therapy in pregnancy or during menses.
- Follow this regimen for at least 3 months and then reduce it to about once a week.
Ailments/Conditions/Organs Benefitted By Castor Oil Therapy
Castor oil therapy benefits in:
- Intestinal disorders like issues with digestion, constipation, elimination, etc
- Gall bladder inflammations/stone
- Detoxification of the body
- Joint pains and inflammations
- Nervous disorders, headaches
- Liver dysfunctions
- Skin infections - bacterial and fungal
- Issues with fertility - tones up the uterus and fallopian tubes
- Cysts, fibroids etc
- Improves blood and lymphatic circulation.
- Bladder and vaginal infections
- Respiratory infections
Castor oil stimulates the lymphatic system
Kindly Rate This Hub. Thanks.
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies, supplements or starting a new health regime.
Some Of My Other Hubs On Health Topics
- Memory And Aging - Strategies And Foods That Improve...
Memory decline as we age is a common condition. Learn strategies to prevent memory decline, in fact, even increase memory along with a list and description of foods to improve memory...
- Ajinomoto, MSG (MonoSodium Glutamate) - The Common F...
Ajinomoto, MSG or mono sodium glutamate, the cause of a variety of disease conditions is added to a mind boggling number of foods. Read the adverse effects of this slow poison food additive that is added to enhance the perception of flavor of food..
- Benefits Of Alkaline Water - Healthy Drinking Water
An acid condition of the body is the cause of most diseases. Alkaline water is the best form of healthy drinking water that one must drink. Read about the benefits of alkaline water for our health...
- Himalayan Crystal Salt Lamps And Their Health Benefi...
Himalayan crystal salt lamps are made from the salt blocks mined from the ancient dried up lakes at the himalayan foothills. They exhibit numerous health giving properties. To know how you can benefit from their use, read on...
- MSG - MonoSodium Glutamate - The Common Food Additive, Its Allergy Effects And Its Long Term Adverse
MSG or mono sodium glutamate, the cause of a variety of disease conditions is added to a mind boggling number of foods. Read the far reaching health implications of this food additive that is added to enhance the perception of flavor of food..
- The Health Benefits Of Magnesium
Magnesium is a macro mineral that is involved in over 300 essential metabolic reactions in our body, most of us are deficient in magnesium. To know, the magnitude of importance of this mineral and how its deficiency affects our body, read on...
- Health Benefits Of Himalayan Salt And Benefits Of Sole
Salt is as essential a component of the human body as water. It is needed for various functions in the body. Himalayan salt is the only salt that provides all the essential minerals that the body needs. find out the health benefits of Himalayan salt