Health benefits of Coconut water - best health drink
Health benefits of Coconut water
The water of tender coconut or the unripe coconut, the green coconut or the liquid endosperm is known for its nutritive value. Coconut water is the purest liquid second only to water. It has caloric value of 17.4 per 100gm.
Coconut water is a healthy drink since it is a rich source of natural fiber, natural calcium, magnesium and potassium. It contains less amount of sodium and almost negligible amount of cholesterol therefore recommended. Banana also has potassium but sugar content is high. Besides electrolytes it also contains vitamins, antioxidants, amino acids, enzymes, growth factors and other phytonutrients. Its Nutritional benefits have been recognized lately. Coconut water is used as a health drink.
Role of coconut water in maintaining good health
Coconut water has numerous medicinal properties. These are mentioned below:
- Coconut water contains monolaurin, an antiviral, antibacterial and antiprozoal monoglyceride that is used to kill lipid-coated viruses such as HIV, Herpes, cytomegalovirus, flu and various pathogenic bacteria.
- Coconut water is very effective in reducing vomiting. People suffering from typhoid, malaria, fevers which induce vomiting drink coconut water to settle the stomach. It can be used during hangover.
- Drinking coconut water can be effective in killing intestinal worms when taken with one teaspoon of olive oil for 2-3 days thereby improving digestion. Coconuts are anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-microbial. Coconut water is also recommended for feeding infants suffering from intestinal disturbances. The lauric acid present in coconuts is also used to heal digestive tract disorders .
- Coconut water can be given to treat intestinals gas.
- It removes toxins and enhances digestion by increasing the digestive tract’s ability to absorb nutrients.
- Coconut water balances acid levels and therefore good cure for acidity problems. It is a natural antidote for heart burn problems.
- Coconut water is used as oral rehydration medium that keeps you from getting cramps which is beneficial for sportsmen therefore they prefer it to sports drinks.
- Keeps the body cool and this cooling property is used to prevent prickly heat and summer boils and subsides the rashes caused by smallpox, chicken pox, measles, etc.
- Saline and albumen present in coconut makes it a good drink in cholera cases.
- Malnourished children can be given coconut water for improving their health.
- It checks urinary infections. Along with medication coconut water can assist in breaking kidney stones. Drinking coconut water regularly helps to break up kidney stones making them easier to push out.
- It can be injected intravenously in emergency case. In second world war coconut water was used in emergency. It is readily accepted by the body and does not destroy red blood cells so can be used as blood plasma substitute.
- Helps in treating Flu. Influenza results in dehydration, nausea and body ache. Coconut water therefore can aid in improving your immune system by hydrating your body, lauric acid present in it will settle your stomach.
- If you are tired and exhausted try Coconut water. It will immediately rejuvenate you with its cooling effect and replenish electrolytes.
- Coconut water eliminates poisons in case of mineral poisoning.
- In hepatitis it helps in reducing inflammation of liver.
- Coconut water aids the quick absorption of drugs.
Coconut Water as Anti-Aging
How does Coconut water act as Anti-Aging?
Coconut water contains organic compounds possessing growth promoting properties. The plant growth hormone is the most interesting component because it is this component that helps in fighting aging process as well preventing cancer. Coconut water have plant growth hormones, the cytokinins which are responsible for regulating growth, development and aging. Coconut water significantly increases plant cell proliferation without increasing the number of undesirable mutations (i.e., cancer). It is this feature that is applied and used in tissue culture. The growth hormone present in coconut liquid helps in anti aging.
The rate at which the plants age, is influenced by cytokinins. Cytokinins regulate the cell division. Cytokinins are known as anti-aging hormones as they can retard the effects of aging. These cytokinins maybe phytohormones(plant hormone) but they also influence animal and human cells. They slow down the normal sequence of aging to a certain extent. Cells undergo severe degenerative changes in normal aging whereas cells exposed to cytokinins do not undergo severe degenerative changes. The total lifespan of human cells may not increase much, but these cells remain more youthful and vibrant throughout their lifetime. Their youth is extended into old age. This is how Coconut water can help fight aging.
Coconut water used as beauty treatment
For beauty treatment coconut water can do wonders for your skin in many ways.
- It can be used as a light moisturizer that helps people having oily skin
- This can be beneficial for smoothing out combination skin.
- This natural water is best for acne and blackheads also.
- This is a natural toner.
- Through regular application of coconut water on face acne marks disappear in no time.
- Eliminates swelling in hands and feet.
- Removes blemishes from your face if applied on face with cotton and left for 15mins daily.
- Removes scars.
- Keeps you young forever by giving you a healthy glowing skin.
For more tips on Beauty secrets the natural way read the next hub on Skin care facts/Go-natural.
Points to consider while procuring Coconut water so that you can derive the maximum benefits from its nutritional content.
Coconut water is best to be taken fresh. It loses its natural freshness after being detached from the bunches in 24hrs even if it is refrigerated.It needs to be treated scientifically. Due to exposure to bacteria it breaks down quickly and looses most of its nutritional content. Bottled coconut water is also available which are scientifically treated so that they retain the nutritional content of coconut water.
There is no side effect to drinking Coconut water, but it is advisable to avoid taking large quantities as it may strain your kidneys and cause diarrhoea.
Sports drink have been replaced by coconut water owing to its nutritional value. Coconut water is very reliable and considered as a herbal medicine for many problems like diabetes, urethral stone, kidney malfunctioning.
Regular consumption of coconut water reduces the risk of cancer infliction in body, helps in improvement of blood circulation also. It also helps in digestion and therefore can be taken after meal which helps in curing digestive discomfort.
Beauty secrets -the natural way
- How safe is your skin care product ? Harmful ingredi...
Today most of us have become a guinea pig for Skin care products. Some skin care products actually turn out to be skin scare products. It is a multi million dollar industry.Today the market is flooded with Anti aging products.It damages your skin mor
- Tips for Beautiful Glowing Skin
The skin care market is flooded with many face care products but how many actually work? Am sharing some simple tips to give you instant glow for all skin types.The best part is they are herbal.
- Blackheads Treatment-Home remedy
Blackheads are the first stage of acne also known as open comedone .After puberty,excess hormones are produced which stimulates the sebaceous gland or the oil gland resulting in excessive oil production in the...