Constipation Cure - How to Get Rid of Constipation Fast
Constipation During Period or Pregnancy
Constipation is a very common condition that tends to affect women more often than than men. It generally appears in women just before their period or during pregnancy. It is normally not very serious although occasionally, complications can occur if the condition is not treated.
Symptoms of Constipation
- Stomach ache and cramps
- Change in your normal bowel pattern
- Furred tongue
- Loss of appetite
- Fatigue and depression
- Feeling bloated
- Feeling sick
Causes of Constipation
According to Ayurvedic medicine, constipation is generally caused due to aggravation of vata. But it can also be caused due to aggravation of pitta or kapha.
It is mainly caused by poor eating and bowel habits. In other words, by eating too much food that's hard on the digestive system, not eating enough fibrous food, like fruits and vegetables, irregular sleeping pattern, mental tensions, etc. All of these can cause constipation.
How to Get Rid of Constipation Fast and Naturally
The best laxative is triphala. When used as a laxative, triphala strengthens the colon. Other laxatives are harsh on colon, which may cause worse symptoms down the road. Triphala balances your metabolism, thereby ensuring more nourishment to blood. Take a teaspoon of triphala powder at bedtime.
Triphala is basically an ayurvedic medicine that is popular known as rasayana or the rejuvenator. It consists of three herbs:
- Amla (Emblica officinalis)
- Harada (Terminalia chebula)
- Behada (Terminalia belerica)
Triphala is a great herb for digestive problems. It not only works as a mild laxative but also helps in improving the peristaltic movements in the gastrointestinal tract. It stimulates the liver to secrete bile juices that are very essential for fat metabolism.
According to ayurvedic practitioners, it is one of the best colon cleansers and is highly recommended as a treatment for constipation. It helps to detoxify the body and has gained popularity as a mild laxative.
In addition to Triphala, you should also include fruits like papaya, mango, banana, grapes, oranges, apple, etc in your diet. Carefully chew your food. Do not eat spicy, frozen food items. Avoid food items that have preservatives.
Food prepared with cumin seeds, coriander, turmeric and fennel as condiments are good to eat because they are easily digested.
How to Get Rid of Constipation Fast at Home
- Honey and Lemon. Try drinking a glass of warm water with 1 teaspoon of honey and the juice of half a lemon or lime in the morning before you eat or drink anything else.
- Raisins, figs, dates or prunes. Integrating these fruits into your diet can help in relieving constipation fast.
- Eat at least 350 grams of grapes each day. The combination of the properties contained in the grapes, namely cellulose, sugar, and other organic material it a natural laxative and helps to cure constipation.
- Bael fruit. Bael fruit is considered one of the best all-natural laxatives. It can also clean and tone up a person's intestines. Eating it regularly for 2 to 3 months will even help to get rid of old accumulated faecal matter.
- Liquorice. Chewing a few sticks of liquorice (mulathi) each day is also beneficial as this is a natural laxative. It is a very useful remedy for constipation.
- Psyllium husk. Just before going to bed, put 3 teaspoons of psyllium husk (Sat Isabgol) into a cup of warm milk or water and drink.
- Eat more fiber. Substitute white rice with brown rice and have a fiber cereal in the morning.
- Avoid refined foods. Avoid food items that are overcooked, refrigerated, preserved or canned. Replace refined starch food items with whole grain food items.
Foods to Avoid in Constipation
There are many types of foods that can cause constipation. You should limit or eliminate your intake of these foods in order to prevent the onset of constipation symptoms. While constipation can occur in anyone and is not a serious illness, repeated bouts of constipation can lead to more serious illnesses.
Sometimes constipation is a side effect of a medication or illness. If you are taking medication that has constipation as a side effect or have an illness with constipation as a symptom, you should try to avoid foods that make the risk of constipation higher.
Here are some common foods that cause constipation:
- Ice Cream
- Instant mashed potatoes
- Fried Foods
- Processed Foods
- Wheat-based Foods
- Red Meat
- Dried Beans
In order to prevent constipation, you should avoid or limit your intake of dairy products, foods that are high in fat, foods that are high in cholesterol, and processed foods.
Foods for Constipation Relief
There are many foods that can prevent constipation and relieve its symptoms. In addition to the ones mentioned above, you should try eating:
- Bran products: provides fiber to soften stools.
- Guava: provides needed roughage.
- Corn syrup: helps to soften stools.
- Sugar: helps to soften stools.
- Apple Pectin: provide natural fiber.
- Folic Acid: insufficient intake of folic acid can cause constipation.