Coping Visualizations for Agoraphobia
oping Visualization is a way to go through what you fear the most without actually facing the fear. Find out how here.
Anyone suffering from some sort of phobia, may need to try coping visualization. Coping visualization is simply the easiest and best way to face your fear other than actually facing your fear head on. With Coping you simply face the fear in your mind instead of actually doing it. This allows you to learn to face your fear and have the choice of whether to keep facing it or if its really bothering you and making you panic, you have the choice to come out of it and try again later. Here is the best way to do a coping visualization.
- Find a place that is quiet and make sure there is no way you will be interrupted or distracted during this time period.
- If you decide you want someone with you allow them to be there, but only for support and not to help you until you decide to come out of it. Let them know before hand, if they see you panic, it is a part of the process and you will have to do this to help overcome it. Tell them do not make any movements until you decide you want to stop the visualizations.
- Try to sit back and relax all the muscles in your body. The best way to do this, is to start from the top of your body and tighten all your muscles and then just let go. Do this all the way to your feet.
- When you are fully relaxed take a deep breath and exhale.
- When you are ready, simply close your eyes.
- Take another deep breath and exhale.
- Start thinking and visualizing in your mind a very happy place for yourself.
- Try to use all of your 5 senses so that you feel as though you are really in the moment.
- After you have become comfortable and really feel that you are where you are having visualizations of being, start trying to bring in your phobia or what you fear the most into your visualization. This can be as simply as just seeing it coming into the picture and you still avoiding it.
- As you become more and more comfortable with the idea, try to simply face what it is in your visualization. Say you have a fear of spiders. See one come into the same area as you and talk yourself through being able to deal with the idea of the spider being there. When you look at it realize as you are scared of it, it is just as scared as you, the only difference is you are 100 more times it size, so think which one is more scared in this position.
- Say you are suffering from agoraphobia….simply face leaving your home inside your mind. See yourself going through your safe zone and then allowing yourself to go past your safe point and just continue until it doesnt scare you so much.
- Main thing you need to remember, if you are visualizing everything correctly you will get in panic mode upon approaching your fear. This is a good thing. The best thing to do in this position is to allow the panic to run its course. After you panic and get through it without fighting it your mind will start to retrain itself that you are no longer scared of this particular situation.
It may take you a few times to get it down, but after no time you will be able to do this easily and affectively. And over a course of time, you will see that facing your phobia gets easier and easier over time. This is a really known affective way to face your fear and come to terms with the phobia to be able to take control of it. I hope this article will help you, as myself, I have agoraphobia and I find this a nice way to be able to face the fear in your mind before having to face it full force. Good luck to all of you!