Cure Children's Growing Pains
Growing pains are cramps of the muscles of the legs and feet in children who are growing rapidly. They are the same thing as the foot and leg cramps that are sometimes suffered by adults and especially by pregnant women.
The reason fast-growing children and pregnant women get these, is because of the heavy nutritional demands of rapid growth or the rapid growth of the fetus. They have a hard time getting enough nutrients to support the growth of new tissues, especially bones. Pregnant women and fast-growing children need a diet that is extraordinarily nutritious, and they probably also need nutritional supplements.
Growing pains can be very painful. Some children will cry themselves to sleep at night because of them.
If it’s a cramp, spasm, tic, twitch, or fidget, it is most likely caused by magnesium deficiency. The most important nutritional supplement for growing pains is magnesium.
The cure—and it should be a fairly quick cure—is to give the child magnesium tablets at about half the adult dose, or what you calculate they should take based on their body weight.
Magnesium in moderate doses is absolutely harmless. Excessive amounts of magnesium may cause diarrhea, but that is the only adverse effect.
The temptation is to give a combination calcium/magnesium supplement. This may work, but cramps, spasms, tics, twitches, and fidgets normally indicate the calcium and magnesium are out of balance in the body, and what’s really needed is magnesium alone. The American diet is overbalanced on the calcium side, probably because we consume a lot of milk and dairy products, which are rich in calcium and poor in magnesium, and do not consume enough magnesium-rich foods to compensate for this imbalance. Give supplements that contain only magnesium.
If you would prefer to use dietary sources of magnesium to cure a child’s growing pains, one of the richest sources of magnesium is blackstrap molasses. Blackstrap molasses is very rich in magnesium and other minerals. Other foods that are rich in magnesium are almonds, bran, chocolate, and dark leafy greens.
I should also mention that some brands of blackstrap molasses have a much better flavor than others. The brand at my local grocery store tastes somewhat like used motor oil, compared to the higher quality brands at the health-food store and some other specialty food stores. Get the good stuff, if possible, because your child is much more likely to enjoy it.
A child will need to take about ¼ cup of blackstrap molasses per day—at least until the symptoms have subsided (plus a couple of extra days). Once the problem is cleared up, you can probably back off on the dose, giving only a couple of tablespoons a day.
EPSOM’S SALTS BATHS
It will also help to give the child hot Epsom’s Salts baths. (Epsom’s Salts are magnesium salts.)
I have seen severe growing pains—where a child was crying himself to sleep at night—cured in less than 24 hours by giving blackstrap molasses and an Epsom’s Salts bath.
- Cure Menstrual Problems--Excessive Menstrual Flow (Menorrhagia) and Bleeding Between Menstrual Perio
Many menstrual problems are simply an indication of iodine deficiency, possibly along with other micro-nutrient deficiencies, and can be easily cured by adding seaweed to your diet.
- Cure Ringworm with Easy Home Remedies
Ringworm is easily cured at home using iodine, black walnut hull tincture (which you can make at home), and other simple products.
- How to Make Real Wild Cherry Cough Syrup at Home in Your Kitchen with Wild Cherry Bark
Real wild cherry cough syrup is easy to make—and it’s the world’s most effective cough remedy!
- How to Make Herbal Medicines: Infusions, Decoctions, Tinctures, Syrups, Oils and Salves
Many of the expensive tinctures and other herbal preparations available from health-food stores and herb dealers can be prepared at home for pennies!
- Cure Kidney Stones with Herbs
Kidney stones may be passed painlessly and/or dissolved without surgery or other conventional medical treatment using inexpensive herbal treatments.
- Cure Shingles Fast with Echinacea
Shingles can be cured in 24-48 hours with Purple Coneflower.
- Cure Gout with Natural Remedies and Herbs
Gout can be cured with natural remedies, diet, and herbs, without conventional medical treatment.
- Cure Yeast Infections with Yogurt or Probiotics
Here’s how to cure yeast infections (Candida albicans) naturally.
- Dislocated Wrist in Toddlers and Young Children--What To Do
A child who seems unable to use her hand, but lets it hang limply her side, may have a dislocated wrist. Here’s what to do.
- Cure Burns with Slippery Elm and Comfrey
An Easy Home Remedy for Burns, Wounds, and Other Skin Affections
- Cure Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) Fast with Castor Oil
Pink eye is easily cured with home treatment. I learned of this cure when I took my oldest daughter to a naturopathic physician for pink eye, and used it to cure a severe case. I have since used it successfully many times.
- The Best and Most Fragrant Roses for Making Rose Water and Potpourris
To make the most fragrant rose waters and potpourris, use the most fragrant roses. Modern roses often lack the sweet perfume of the old-fashioned roses traditionally used to make attar of roses.
- Cure Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) with Echinacea
Quickly cure UTIs Using Purple Coneflower! I have found that Echinacea tincture (my own homemade version) will cure a UTI in a couple of hours--though later doses are needed to keep it from returning.
- The Elderberries Will Soon Be Ripe! How to Make Elderberry Juice, Rob, and Syrup for Winter Colds
In late summer and early fall, there is a bountiful harvest elderberries along the roadsides. The berries not only make delicious jam or wine, but are valuable home medicines as juice, rob, syrup.
- How to Make Echinacea Tincture--Growing and Using Purple Coneflower for Medicinal Use
You can easily make Echinacea tincture at home, using the roots of your own Echinacea plants from your garden and a pint of vodka.
- Cure a Toothache without Dentistry
If you have a painful toothache because of and infection or impacted wisdom tooth, you can cure the infection with Echinacea.
- Natural Home Treatment for Stomach Flu--Vomiting and Diarrhea
Herbal and Natural Treatments and Home Nursing Care for Diarrhea and Vomiting, Symptoms of Stomach Flu and Food Poisoning
- Cure Plantar Warts with Oil of Thyme
Plantar warts can be cured without , laser therapy, cryotherapy (freezing), acid treatments, or surgery, and without wasting time and money on frustrating and discouraging over-the-counter products.
- Cure Your Bad Back
Does your back periodically "go out," leaving you prostrate and with severe back pain for weeks? Chances are, all you need is magnesium!
- Rid Your Home of Fleas Naturally
There is no need to spray your home with toxic pesticides to get rid of fleas--and flies, too. Several essential oils repel and kill fleas and flies, especially when used in household cleaners.
- Grow a Beautiful and Practical Garden of Medicinal Herbs
Passionflower, meadowsweet, rosemary, lemon balm, thyme, Sweet Annie, chamomile, catnip, mint, ecinacea, black-eyed Susans, and Bible leaf make a lovely and useful herb garden.
- How to Cure Warts, Moles, and Skin Tags with Castor Oil and Baking Soda
You can avoid surgery or other medical procedures, and remove moles and skin tags painlessly at home, using castor oil and baking soda.
- How to Cure Scabies Naturally, without Chemical Pesticides
Scabies can be cured with Vitamin E oil applications, or with diluted oil of thyme. There's no need to see a doctor or apply chemical pesticides.
- How to cure bronchitis naturally
A fast cure for bronchitis: a few drops of the essential oil of sandalwood on a lump of sugar. Real wild-cherry cough syrup and elecampane root tea give this cure a boost.
- Understanding and Managing Type II Diabetes
A discussion of diabetic diet, choosing herbs and supplements that help, and understanding causes of insulin resistance, and the causes of diabetes.
- How to Cure Ear Infections with Olive Oil, Mullein Flowers, and Brewer's Yeast
How to cure ear infections--permanently--using herbs and nutrition!
- Herbs for Colds and Flu--More Powerful Herbs To Take It to the Next Level
How to treat colds and flu with herbs used during the Spanish Flu pandemic, whose value has been confirmed by modern research
- Cure Psoriasis with Natural Methods
Herbs that are reputed to cure psoriasis are slippery elm and American saffron (safflower),
- Gathering and Using Elderflowers to Make Lotions for Beautiful Skin and Healing Salves
Elderflowers blooming in the fields and along the roadsides in June are a beauty--and healing--bonanza!
- Growing a Doomstead Garden
Gardening for self-sufficiency during the zombie apocalypse
- Cure Foot and Leg Cramps
Foot and leg cramps are almost always caused by magnesium deficiency--or, more accurately, insufficient magnesium intake in relation to calcium intake. The fix is easy! Get more magnesium!
- How to Cure Fevers, Plus a List of Danger Signs
A comprehensive discussion about fevers: Danger signs, and how to cure fevers with herbs and other natural methods.
- Cure Impetigo with Home Remedies
Homes remedies for impetigo include black walnut hull tincture (which you can make at home), colloidal silver, and elecampane root.
- Top Four Most Useful Herbal Preparations You Can Make at Home
Make echinacea tincture, mullein oil, black walnut hull tincture, and wild cherry cough syrup at home.
- The Medicine Garden: Best Medicinal Herbs to Grow in the Home Garden
A selection of medicinal herbs that are both beautiful and useful
- Cure Head Lice with Tea Tree Oil
Cure head lice without putting pesticides on your child's head--and prevent re-infestation--with inexpensive herbal treatments.
- Home Birth--With or Without a Midwife
Many women have opted for a joyous home birth experience! Planning a home birth carefully is important.
- Cure Children's Bedwetting and Accidents with Herbs
An herbal cleansing and toning approach to leaky children that focuses on toning the urinary tract and the nerves
- Cure Cold Sores with Herbal and Natural Remedies
Apple cider vinegar, olive oil, slippery elm, and probiotics are all reliable cures for most cold sores.
- Easy-to-Grow Flowers for the Beginning Gardener
Several perennial flowers provide amazing displays of flowers and foliage, yet require almost no care! Here are three to provide the backbone of your home flower garden.