- Women's Health
Best Cures For Bacterial Vaginosis
Bacterial Vaginosis surely is not a very pleasant condition to have. Additionally it is very embarrassing to talk about it to your partner/spouse or even the doctor. However, many women may find comfort in the fact that but millions females all over the world have had it at one time or another. So, if you suffer from (or have suffered from) Bacterial Vaginosis then you are definitely not alone.
There are many treatments out there for women who are suffering with Bacterial Vaginosis. In some cases natural remedies may suffice, while in other cases there may be need for a stronger remedy such as prescription from a doctor. Obviously, most women prefer to use natural methods before consulting a doctor.There are couple of effective home remedies which are extremely effective in curing or controlling bacterial vaginosis but the problem with home remedies is that if it is not done properly it is mostly ineffective and there is no surefire way of knowing where the root cause of the regimen failure lies. On the other hand, prescriptions from the doctors have a well defined regimen and controlled use, so the treatments may work out better for most women.
Natural Treatments For Bacterial Vaginosis
There are some pretty amazing methods home remedies of treating Bacterial Vaginosis. Some of them are:
- Apple Cider Vinegar: A vagina which is affected by BV would usually have a highly alkaline atmosphere. Apple cider vinegar's slightly acidic properties will help neutralize the body's already alkaline properties and restore natural body fluids. Apple Cider Vinegar is also a great symptomatic treatment for bacterial vaginosis. It helps alleviate the itchiness and burning sensation. Also douching with apple cider vinegar may feel unpleasant at the time of actually doing it, anybody who has severe itchiness and burning sensation will feel lots of relief after the douche.
- Garlic: As a symptom alleviator, garlic can work wonders. Just using garlic directly (inserting, applying paste etc) can completely remove the symptoms in as few as 5 days. Making a paste of garlic and applying it to affected area will help immensely. Another way garlic can be applied is by inserting a few cloves directly for 1-2 hours (or overnight, if possible). Garlic when taken orally will take longer but will be much more helpful. You can also make garlic water which is very effective. It can be made easily by just taking around a litre of distilled water in a masor jar and adding 3-4 peeled garlic cloves to straining off the garlic after letting it sit out out in the sun for a day. This can be stored in water and drunk 3-4 times daily for great bodily balance of stomach and vaginal flora/fauna.
- Yogurt: Its immense probiotic properties, make yogurt a perfect candidate for curing bacterial vaginosis. A tampon dipped in yogurt can be inserted overnight for a week or so for great result. Alternatively applying yogurt directly can also help. Yogurt has great nutritional value and medicinal effects for the entire body, so it would make sense to include a regular dose of yogurt in your daily diet.
- Tea Tree Oil: Though garlic may provide instant relief in many cases, but it certainly won't help you in the longer run. However, tea tree oil when used for two weeks can help in completely curing bacterial vaginosis. It can be smeared directly onto the affected area. However, before applying always dilute the oil a little. It also helps to add a few drops to water and douche.
Another thing that you may need to keep in mind when practicing natural bacterial vaginosis treatments, is the "prevention" aspect of it. While the above methods can help immensely, it will help if the sugar intake is controlled (can be replaced with honey) and maintaining a well rested, excercised and non-constipated body.
Nutritional Supplements That Help Cure BV
- Folic Acid: Folic Acid is a wonder drug, effective for many women. By simply increasing daily intake of Folic Acid to 1200 mcg for 5 days straight days,BV has been seen to disappear. Excellent natural sources of folic acid are beans, beef liver, peas, wheat germ, asparagus, and peanuts.
- Vitamin A and Vitamin E are also great for BV and are highly recommended. These Vitamins not only help get rid of the BV they may also help in preventing BV.
If all kinds of prescribed and home medicines fail you, I would urge you try a daily regimen of
Vitamin B complex + Vitamin D3 5000iu + Folic acid 800mg + Acidiphilus.
This regimen has been known to work for many women.
It is often noted in reference to bacterial vaginosis that the gut flora imbalance, improper eating habits, stress, allergies, unbalanced lifestyle, erratic sleeping habits, and antibiotic overuse can trigger bacterial vaginosis. Only preventing/removing the root cause can ensure that once treated, bacterial vaginosis does not come back.
OTC Treatment for Bacterial Vaginosis
When you visit the doctor, the most common treatments that you will be offered will be either antibiotics or metd. Antibiotics use has shown to "treat" bacterial vaginosis but again it has been seen that the symptoms recur in most cases and are usually worse than before. Metronidazole and clindamycin combinations are usually prescribed by doctors but are ineffective in the long term and cause much dismay to women who consider themselves treated once the symptoms have gone away.
The most common OTC method of treatment is Metronidazole Gel. The gel is to be applied topically and is used very commonly all over the world. Its effectiveness is only temporary.
The Importance of Ensuring Treatment for BV
Bacterial Vaginosis is a treatable condition and though it is embarrassing to talk about, it's better to overcome that feeling of discomfort and try to find a solution for your symptoms. Bacterial Vaginosis can occur in women of all ages though it's more common in women who have multiple sexual partners and often indulge in unprotected sex. For teenage girls it may be difficult to talk about this stuff and so parents should encourage free dialogue in the house and ask their daughter to talk to them or to an older sister/cousin in case she indicates any such discomfort.
Bacterial Vaginosis is, in itself not so threatening and apart from the fact that the itchiness and burning sensation AND foul/fishy smelling vaginal discharge (usually grey in color) can wreak havoc with your sex life, it does not pose a threat. However, if the bacterial infection spreads to other parts of the body, it can cause UTI (urinary tract infection), PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) and other similar problems. So, it is very essential to tackle it in time.
Recurrent BV is a very difficult thing to live with, so by all means, speak with your parents/partner or a person you can trust in the medical field. The natural methods listed above will strengthen your immune system to the point that you may be able to prevent it altogether.