- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
Dealing with Urinary Tract Infection(UTI)
This Urinary Tract Infection
Urinary Tract Infection(UTI) also known as acute cystitis is the infection that affects any part of your urinary system such as the kidney, bladder, ureters and urethra. It is common in both men and women but, most common in women.
This infection is most common with women because women have a shorter urethra than men and this reduces the distance that the bacteria has to travel before it gets to the bladder.
When UTI affects the lower Urinary Tract, it is known as simple cystitis and when it affects the upper urinary tract, it is known as pyelonephritis.
The common symptoms of lower urinary tract infection are: painful urination and frequent urination or both, while the symptoms for upper urinary tract infection are: fever and side(flank) pain in addition to the symptoms of lower urinary tract infection. The main cause of this infection is Escherichia coli.
What are the causes?
There are very many causes of UTI and it is not a very severe illness that should make you worried when noticed in its early stage.
Since UTI is caused by bacteria, there are many ways to contact UTI. A few ways include:
- Allowing faeces from the anus get into the urethra
- Toilet water splashing back during excretion
- Could also be caused by STDs
- Poor hygiene
- Short distance between the urethra and urethral opening in the vagina
- Men can also have UTI if they have an elongated prostrate gland
How do you treat UTI?
There are very many ways to treat UTI:
- When you notice any of the symptoms, you should contact a doctor for prescription of antibiotics
- Remember to always stay hydrated
- Drink cranberry juice(without sweeteners) as this is a very fast way of getting rid of urinary tract infection
- When you can't find good cranberry juice, take cranberry pills
- Make sure you incorporate vitamin C and garlic to your diets. Garlic could be ground and drunk or eaten raw
- Avoid drinking alcohol and stay away from juices that contain artificial sweeteners
- Take a lot of pineapple. This could be eaten as a fruit or blended and taken as a juice. Either way is fine as long as it is fresh and natural
- Take a mixture of cider and vinegar
- Take a lot of blueberries. You could add it to your meal.
- Generally avoid sugary diets
- Stay away from carbs and junk
- Drink a mixture of water and baking soda
- Urinate before and after intercourse
- Never ignore the urge to urinate. Whenever you feel pressed, make sure you use the rest room
- Remember to keep very good personal and environmental hygiene
- Try as much as possible to avoid using public restrooms and when inevitable, make sure you sanitize properly
- After urinating(for ladies), make sure you wipe yourself dry using toilet paper from front to back(genitals to anus). Never clean up from back to front(anus to genitals) as this will bring bacteria into the genitals.
- Try and sleep naked, this will allow air into the genitals
- Wear cotton underwear to allow free flow of air and avoid wearing clothes that very tight and clingy.
Home remedies to urinary tract infection
About Urinary tract infection
Lower Urinary Tract
Pressure in pelvic area, frequent urination, lower abdomen discomfort, blood in urine
Use a warm compress, use antibiotics
Upper Urinary Tract
Vommiting, nausea, high fever
Check with urine culture and see a doctor for better prescription