- Mental Health
‘Depression’ – The Silent Killer of Society
Does it ever happen to you that you feel hungry but you cannot eat? You feel tired and you can’t sleep? You feel sad but you cannot cry? And at the same time you don’t know exactly what is wrong either? If you notice any of these behaviors within yourself persisting for two weeks or more then it’s an alarming situation. Because medical term suggests that you may a victim of Depression and need serious help.
Depression is a condition of mental turmoil identified by such feelings to a greater degree than seems warranted by the circumstances, mostly with lack of energy and difficulty maintaining concentration or interest in life.
Why is it Worrisome
- A report by the World Health Organization (WHO) revealed the fact that globally over 800,000 people die due to suicide every year and 50% of them are by reason of depression.
- Over the last several years, suicide rate (due to depression) in young people has increased drastically. Youngsters between the age group of 12 to 15 years and 20 to 25 years are getting more depressed.
Various forms of Depression and Symptoms
- Major depression is characterized by intense feelings of sadness.
- Dysthymic disorder is a less intense type of depression, but it persists for a longer period of time – may be a year.
- Adjustment disorders occur when an individual’s response to a stressful event.
- Manic depression is a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts in a person’s mood.
- Psychotic depression includes features such as hallucinations or delusions.
- Seasonal affective disorder is a type of depression that comes on in the winter month when the sun is sparse.
Here are some of other symptoms adding to what we’ve in the beginning of the article.
- Feeling constantly depress, particularly in the morning
- Lack of energy on a daily basis
- Inability to attention or be decisive
- Constant thoughts of death or suicide
- Significant weight loss or weight gain
Roots of Depression
Many events could be the reason for depression. But here are some well-known facts.
- Loneliness is the main cause for depression. Since you have no friends or company, your mind thinks the other way and it will lead sadness.
- Constant dwindle of joint family is another reason (more referring to India).
- Unusual event such Road traffic injuries, anxiety disorder could be the cause.
- Suffering from disease like HIV-AIDS, Asthma, and Anaemia could lead to depression.
How to Treat Depression
- Get professional help and never attempt to commit suicide
- Go outside, have fresh air and do something which you haven’t done before – this will allow breathing more freely and giving confidence to believe in yourself.
- Meet more and more people on daily basis and enjoy the company of friends
- Keep saying - you’re pleasing & attractive and deserve to stay in this world
- Believe in recuperation
All we can say is that Depression is like demon. We as a society needs to cope with it, otherwise it could become the second largest reason of death by 2020.
© 2015 Vishal Dalwadi