What are the Health and Beauty Benefits of Wheatgrass?
Since my goal is to build a bionic immune system, wheatgrass juice seemed like a logical addition to my daily green smoothie and liter of water. It sounded like an easy goal until I actually tasted it. I reminded myself nothing is as bad as chemotherapy, so I set out to find a palatable technique to drink it. Adding it to my green smoothie proved to be a disaster since it made the smoothie even more of a challenge to ingest. Mixing it with water almost made me sick. After many other false starts, I stumbled upon cranberry juice as the magic ingredient. Now I mix a scoop of wheatgrass powder with a half-cup of organic 100% cranberry juice daily, and am able to stay on track with my health goals.
What Are the Health Benefits of Wheatgrass?
The health benefits of wheatgrass are endless! People that drink it routinely claim that their energy levels increase and they never seem to get coughs and colds anymore. These are some of the amazing attributes of wheatgrass:
- Contains 19 amino acids and 92 minerals that help the body function at it's highest level.
- The chlorophyll molecule in wheatgrass juice can be transferred into hemoglobin, thus increasing the red blood cell count.
- Wheatgrass juice contains many antioxidants that destroy free radicals, thus reducing the risk of cancer and cleansing the body.
- The extra calcium and magnesium in wheatgrass juice helps to build and maintain strong healthy bones, reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
- Wheatgrass juice contains beta-carotene in abundance. Beta-carotene helps keep skin membranes healthy, is important for vision, can prevent urinary tract infections, and has been shown to reduce cancerous cells while preventing others from becoming cancerous.
There are other bonus benefits as well. Wheatgrass can get rid of gray hair, bad breath, body odor, and rosacea. It also tightens sagging, creased skin by rejuvenating skin cells. Fortumately I have minimal gray hair - but still enough that I won't complain if it completely vanishes.
Where Do You Find Wheatgrass
You can find wheatgrass either as live grass, as a juice, or in powdered form. However, if you buy it fresh-cut or live from another source it's impossible to be absolutely certain it's not laced with pesticides and other chemical fertilizers.
If you buy it as a juice, it may have aged and lost much of its nutritional value. As far as the powder goes, if you can find a good certified-organic supplier, you can be sure that it has no unexpected additives. Also, the powdered form of juice retains most if not all of the fresh juice's nutritonal value. There are numerous instructional articles and videos describing in detail how to grow your own, but I just can't find the time to grow my own, so I prefer the powdered form. I purchased some at a local health food store.
Check with your doctor and do your own research before adding wheatgrass or any other supplement to your diet, especially if you have celiac disease or gluten intolerance. If you are an experienced wheatgrass drinker, please let me know if you experienced any health benefits and how you deal with the wheatgrass taste. Cheers to good health!!