Dream Analysis of Pigs - Meaning of Pigs in Dreams
It's unusual to see the pigs in dreams, so any such dream is very hard to analyze. Ultimately, only the dreamer knows how to link any creature from his dream to his real-life situation. Any creature we see in a dream has symbolic meaning, and we can look at what other cultures and religions say, but it's up to us to figure out how they relate to our life.
Keep a Dream Journal and Remember Your Dreams
To understand your dreams, the first thing you need to do is remember the dream. This can be difficult, as we don't remember most of our dreams. As soon as you wake up, write in a dream journal that you keep by your bed. Record every bit of your dream you can remember, as every detail in a dream is helpful.
Pigs as a Sign of Bad Luck in Culture or Religion
Are pigs a sign of good or bad luck? It depends on who you ask.
Some cultures associate pigs with laziness, uncleanliness, gluttony, and greed. Others see pigs in dreams as bad luck or a bad omen. In Islam and Judaism, pigs are seen as unclean and eating pork a sin. While most Christians eat pork, some, like Seventh-Day Adventists, prohibit it. Some old European cultures saw pigs on boats as bad luck, and fishermen in England prohibited them on boats.
In some Christian folklore, the Devil has many pig-like features, such as his cloven hooves. In Lord of the Flies, the pig is a recurring motif representing aggression, madness, and savagery.
Pigs as a Sign of Good Luck or Fortune
However, in other cultures like Korea, a dream about pigs is a great omen suggesting that good fortune is on the way, usually in the form of money. In the Chinese zodiac, which assigns animal symbols to each year, the pig is also good luck. Some European cultures see pigs as lucky as well: in Germany, marzipan pigs—Glücksschwein—are a popular gift for the New Year, signifying good luck. In all of these instances, pigs are associated with abundance and good fortune.
As you can see, there are many ways to interpret what pigs in a dream may mean. You may find that a cultural or religious interpretation of pigs may be limiting. If so, read on for psychological interpretations of pigs in dreams.
Pigs as a Symbol of Fertility
Pigs are an ancient symbol of fertility. The ancient Egyptians and Celts both revered sows as representative of the qualities of motherhood: protection, abundance, life, and fertility. In ancient Greek mythology, Demeter, the goddess of fertility and the earth, kept a pig by her side.
As a symbol of abundance, the pig doesn't only represent money. Pigs can also indicate good fortune in the form of pregnancy and childbirth.
Cultural and Psychological Meanings of Pigs in Dream
The meaning of pigs in your dream will likely be a combination of the culture you come from and your individual psychological circumstances. Some psychologists say dreams are how our unconscious mind tries to be understood by our waking mind, and our minds produce symbols that we understand because of our cultural understanding of those symbols. Some examples of what your unconscious mind is trying to say when you have a dream about pigs:
- For many, pigs represent ignorance, chauvinism, and gluttony. Perhaps a dragging relationship or burden in your life will be represented as a pig.
- Some psychic events can be connected with pigs. For example, because of the association between pigs and gluttony, you may associate the pig with a lack of control. A pig may represent any future event that you have no control over.
- Large appetites and lust are also associated with pigs. Though you may not notice it from your health, your subconscious mind's appetite and lust is different from physical needs. A pig in your dream might point to a deep unrealized need or desire.
- Pigs are sometimes seen as ignorant and brutal beasts. Some of our worst habits and characteristics are shown by the pigs in dreams.
How to Avoid Nightmares About Pigs
Ultimately, dream interpretation is very personal. You might have a very specific association with pigs from your own life. Pigs are often associated with visions of slaughterhouses, filth, squealing, and sacrifice, and therefore lend themselves to nightmares.
In order to avoid having bad dreams about pigs, you need to figure out what anxieties or bad memories are causing you to have these nightmares in the first place. See if any of the below applies to you, and then work on it to avoid seeing beasts like pigs in your dreams.
- Life often gives you financial, relationship, and other types of burdens. An overwhelming office workload, for example, contributes one's burden. So make sure you take time out for yourself and take a break from the things you care for in your life.
- Are you ignoring anything? Relationship? Money problems? Family? If yes, take your dreams as a sign to improve on it.
- Watching too much horror, psychological thrillers, or dark anime? If so, take a break.
- By any chance are you overdoing physical contact with someone in any way? Work on that, too.
There are many other ways to interpret dreams about pigs, but it's up to you to relate those dreams with your real life and deal with the issues that haunt you.