Liquid Egg Whites: Raw Egg Mess or Protein Powerhouse?
Before We Get Started
It's important to remember that there is no replacement for a solid workout and nutritional plan. Liquid egg whites are not a miracle and do nothing more than provide your body with adequate protein.
A Few Quick Facts
- Liquid egg whites are NOT raw egg whites. Liquid egg whites are pasteurized, which means that they are heated to 134 degrees Fahrenheit to kill salmonella and other bacteria.
- Liquid egg whites are safe to drink!
- In order for eggs to be "cooked" in the traditional sense they must be heated to 158 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Raw egg whites have avidin which blocks the uptake of biotin, potentially causing a nutrient deficiency.
- Pasteurization neutralizes avidin, making the liquid egg whites safe to consume.
- Liquid egg whites are almost flavorless! Flavor them however you like (chocolate milk, Coffee, protein powder,etc)
The Simplest Protein Shake Ever
This protein shake is extremely easy to make and tastes like chocolate milk!
- 1.5 cups liquid egg whites (pasteurized)
- 0.5 cups 2% chocolate milk
- 260 Calories
- 13g Carbohydrates
- 2g Fat
- 42g Protein
*Macronutrients could be slightly off depending on what chocolate milk you use.
**It tastes like dilute chocolate or strawberry milk
When Should I Eat Them?
Whenever! If you're trying to gain muscle or lose fat, drink 1.5 cups of liquid egg whites (flavored however you like) upon rising and heading to bed. The protein in the liquid egg whites will start your day off right and ensure your muscles have adequate protein while you sleep.
Liquid egg whites are also great post workout! However, you may want to add a few more carbs in your shake to ensure your muscles take full advantage of the protein.
*Liquid egg whites should not be a replacement for good nutrition, I cannot stress this enough. You must have a clean diet and decent work routine in order to change your body. Remember that your body reflects what you do 90% of time. Eat healthy 90% of the time and your body will reflect that.