Drinking Jeera (Cumin) Water for Good Health Benefits
The Health Benefits of Drinking Jeera (Cumin Seed) Water
Drinking jeera water on a daily basis has several health benefits.
- According to Ayurveda, warm jeera water is helpful in strengthening our digestive system, circulatory system and balance our tri-doshas – vata, pita and kapha.
- Warm jeera water helps to refresh our body and flush out the toxins from the body.
- Jeera water contains good antiseptic properties that fights common cold and fevers.
- When a little ginger is mixed in jeera water, it helps to soothe a sore throat.
- Jeera (Cumin seeds) are highly noted for digestive disorders like atonic dyspepsia, diarrhea,biliousness, morning sickness, indigestion, malabsorption syndrome, and flatulent colic.
- Jeera water is also effective in inducing sleep. After taking a A teaspoon of cumin seeds and a ripe banana at night, drink jeera water to induce sleep.
- Cumin is said to increase the heat in the body thus making metabolism more efficient.
- Jeera is rich in Vitamin-E. The essential oils present in this have disinfectant and anti fungal properties, which prevents any microbial and fungal infection from affecting the skin.
- Cumin is rich in iron and it is highly beneficial for ladies, especially those who are pregnant, or lactating mothers.
- Also helpful for the burning sensation of the palms and soles.
Cumin Seeds: Other Names
Indian: jeera, jeraka, jira, zeera, zira, sufaid
Malay: jintan puteh
Arabic: kammun, kemouyn
German: Kreuzkümmel, Romische Kümmel
How to Prepare Jeera Water
For a regular drink:
- Add 1 tsp of jeera in 4 liters of water and boil it.
- After boiling it, remove it from the stove and keep it covered.
- Drink whenever you need water and also after the food.
- It is more beneficial if you can drink it warm.
In Kerala, the land of ayurveda, jeera water is a regular drink in many of the houses. Instead of drinking just boiled water, a bit of jeera is added to the water, bringing good flavour and health.
For a medicinal drink:
- Add 1 tsp. of jeera to 1 glass of water and boil it well.
- Strain the cumin seeds and drink the water.
- For intestinal disorders, 1 tsp. of lime juice can be added to the water as well.
Do you drink jeera water?
The information provided in this article is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician or health care provider before taking any home remedies.