Dry Eye - Diagnosis and Treatments for Dry Eye
Eye health -Do you have Eye Dry?
When it comes to health maintenance, eyes are of unparalleled significance. ‘Eye dry’ is a major problem faced by almost everyone especially with the popularity of computer and such gadgets.
Tears are inevitable for the healthy functioning of eyes. Tears retains the dampness of eyes, provides immunity to eyes and functions as lubricant beneath the eyelids. Tears make vision easier and helps the eyes remain in healthy state. Some people’s eyes fail to produce enough tears while in some others, tears get evaporated away soon. This is called ‘eye dry’.
Eye Care -What Are The Causes of Dry Eye
Following are some of the major reasons of ‘eye dry’
- Can happen as a result of ageing
- Can be the side effects of some medicines
- Dry, dusty and windy atmospheres
- Air conditioning
- Over evaporation of tears
- Long term usage of contact lens
- Gazing into computer monitor or video game screens continuously without even winking the eyelids.
- Skin diseases around or above eyelids
- Diseases that affect the eye lid glands
- Variations in immunity
- Regular swelling of conjunctiva
- Diseases affecting eyelids or the tear glands
- Itching inside the eyes
- Pain in the eyes
- Red eyes
- Excretion of mucus
- Blurred vision
Things to be taken care of:
- Do eye blinking exercises
- Wash eyelids with semi hot water
- Wear glasses having side cover. This considerable reduces the evaporation of tears
- Avoid dust and smoke
- Drink lot of water
- Quit smoking and drinking.
- Make sure that the computer screen is below the eye level
- Those who use computer for long times make it a point to wink eyes from time to time.
- Make sure that the eyes get proper exercise. It is advisable to take eyes of the monitor from time to time and look at something else. Avoid using air conditioners.
What Are Causes, Cures For Dry Eye?
Spread open the eyelids for 20 seconds. If there is a burning sensation or dryness inside the eyes, we can make out that we have dry eye. There are lots of tests to diagnose dry eye. These can be performed only as per a doctor’s prescription.