Dukan Diet Tips
A Protein Fueled, Low Fat, Low Carb Diet Plan that Works!
The Dukan Diet is a protein fueled, low carb and low fat diet with no calorie or "point" counting; been there failed at that. You can eat as much as you want of 100 different foods so you'll never go to bed hungry. In fact protein is very filling so you'll see your appetite diminish.
The most important part of the Dukan Diet though, is even after the weight is gone, you're not done with the diet. The end of a diet is when the body is most vulnerable to weight regain. Ever hear the term yo-yo diet? Dukan has the answer to that.
This diet is broken into 4 phases: Attack, Cruise, Consolidation & Stabilization. Each phase will be detailed out here on this page. You will find a a collection of links, information, recipes and ideas related to the Dukan Diet that will help you reach your weight loss goals in no time at all.
As with any new diet program, you should consult your doctor before starting.
Photo Credit: Nibbled.
Phase 1: Attack
Find the Dukan Diet book at Amazon - Plus plenty of low carb, low fat cook books!
If you are serious about starting the Dukan Diet, I highly recommend picking up a copy of the book. There is a lot of information online, as you will find in the links in this page, BUT... there is a lot of contradictory information on the net. The book will empower you and ensure you start on the right path.
Also, unless you can enjoy eating the same plain foods, you'll find the greatest success in learning to cook as a way to keep things interesting. Many recipes can be altered with Dukan friendly substitutions. For example there are a lot of good low carb cookbooks out there, and you can alter ingredients to make them lower in fat and fit the Dukan plan.
This cookbook is on my wish list. Specifically tailored to the Dukan plan, you know every recipe in it fits the diet.
Many of these recipes can be made Dukan friendly by substituting low fat dairy and using FF chicken broth in place of butter and oil.
Love using our crock-pot in the winter. We really love the Spicy Orange Chicken recipe.
The Dukan Diet - The French Diet that took over England now the U.S.!
Although this page and other sites out there will provide you with a great wealth of information about the Dukan Diet, I highly recommend reading the book before starting. The book is the bible of the diet so to speak. There are a lot of twists, tweaks, cheats if you will, that work for other people, but may not for you. If you know the core of the diet, it'll be easier to figure out if you can get away with those "cheats".
Dr. Dukan's book provides you with a solid understanding of the core principals behind his diet. It's a quick read and highly motivating. If you're like me, you'll be eager to start your Attack phase before you've finished reading. The book also includes some of the science and medical theory behind why the Dukan Diet works, which helps you stay focused on the goal. It is a bit repetitive in parts, but the important material is broken out and easy to highlight and flag for future reference.
Dukan Diet Attack Phase - 1-10 Days of Pure Proteins
Attack is the jump start phase to the Dukan diet. It is meant to break cravings and motivate you through the other 3 phases by causing rapid weight loss in a short time (much of it water weight). This is not an easy phase, but you will see results if you follow the below rules.
It is quite common to experience headaches and fatigue for 1-3 days. Take it easy on yourself and when you've pushed through those few cruddy feeling days, you should feel amazing and also be quite a few pounds lighter.
Note that it is imperative during this phase to not deviate from the strict guidelines to reap the best results. Cheating may ruin the effects of Attack and if temptation strikes, you are better off moving onto Phase 2. Don't fear phase 2, it's the crux of the diet and where you will lose and say goodbye to the extra weight.
- Follow the Attack Phase for the number of days based on the amount of weight you plan to lose.
The average Attack period for all weights is 5 days.
1-20 lbs: 2 days
21-50 lbs: 5 days
51 lbs and up: 7 days
Over 100 lbs with doctor's supervision up to 10 days.
I will repeat, please do not be afraid to move on to Phase 2, the Cruise Phase, it is after all the core weight loss phase in this program. Extending your Attack Phase longer than necessary may actually end up stunting your weight loss. You don't want to do that!
- You may only eat pure lean proteins such as:Turkey, Chicken, Lean cuts of beef, 97% lean hamburger, lean ham, all seafood, shellfish and fish. Fat free dairy products like skim milk, cottage cheese, yogurt (natural flavored, no fruit flavors).Sugar free gum and diet sodas are also acceptable. Seasonings and vinegars will help you create dressings and keep plain meat from becoming boring. Check for low sodium versions and avoid any seasoning mixes that include sugar. Sugar substitutes are allowed, such as aspartame or Splenda.
- 1.5 L minimum in water intake daily. This will prevent gout, help ease headaches and assist with bowel movements. Do not ignore this minimum requirement. It's best taken as water, but diet sodas, coffee and tea also count towards your daily intake.
- 1.5 TBS of oat bran daily. This can be taken anyway you like. Mix it with skim milk and microwave for an oatmeal like taste. Mix with yogurt, or use in other recipes to make muffins, cakes or breads.
- A 20 minute daily walk. No excuses. Find 20 minutes each day during Attack to take a nice paced walk. You may substitute your walk for 20 minutes of another form of exercise, but it should be something that engages the full body.
- Although not required, it is a good idea to take a daily multi-vitamin.
My favorite Dukan friendly items - These items help me stay on track
Oat Bran is not the same thing as oatmeal. Make sure you have the right product as you must take 2 TBS daily. I enjoy mine mixed in yogurt or made with skim milk much like oatmeal.
I add this to plain fat free yogurt and sometimes I blend that with ice and skim milk for a wonderful treat.
Phase 2: Cruise
Dukan Diet Cruise Phase - AKA the weight loss phase and the Core of this plan
This phase alternates between two diets, following along until you reach your true weight.
- PP: Pure Protein, basically follow the attack diet.
PV: Pure Protein plus a select amount of vegetables. Salad greens, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peppers, onions, mushrooms and many more lower carb veggies.
- For those with over 40 lbs to lose us a 1/1 rotation of PP/PV
For those with less to use and if they find it acceptable use a 5/5 rotation.
You will lose weight either way, but the diet is easier to stick to, especially in longer lengths on a 1/1 rotation.
- 2 TBS of oat bran every day
- 1.5 L of water intake daily
- 30 minute brisk walk every day.
Phase 3: Consolidation
Dukan Diet Consolidation Phase - Congratulations, you've reached your true weight now it's time to make it yours for life!
The hard work is over, but total freedom of food choice is not given back quite yet. For every pound you lost, you'll be in this phase for 5 days. For example if you lost 20 lbs, consolidation will last 100 days. This is to reassure your body of it's new weight. A downfall of many diets is when you return to eating "normally" the weight piles back on. This phase will ensure you solidify your new weight for life.
- You will have 1 day of PP every week. The book suggests Thursdays, but work what's best for you. No exceptions.
- The rest of the week is PV with all the allowed foods you have on PP and PV in any amount. Plus the foods listed below.
- One serving of fruit per day. The only fruits off limits are bananas, grapes, cherries, anything dried or nuts.
- 2 slices of wholemeal bread per day.
- One serving of cheese per day, any kind.
- 2 servings of starchy foods per week.
- 2 celebration meals per week. Pick a meal and you may enjoy a drink, appetizer, main course and desert. No seconds, but generous servings. The celebration meal is limited to just the meal and the second meal must be separated by at least a day.
- 2 TBS of oat bran daily.
- Walk at least 25 minutes per day.
My Favorite Exercise Options - Get fit in your living room with the Wii
I love the Wii Fit. It's great for stretching and warming up your muscles. You can also get in a really good work out with some of the "games" available for the system.
This game is a lot of fun. Select your favorite song and get your dance on.
Motivational work outs that increase in difficulty as you get stronger.
Phase 4: Stabilization
Dukan Diet Stabilization Phase - You're done, but here are a few guidelines to ensure you stay there.
Stabilization gives you the ability to eat with freedom again, however a few rules will help keep you from slipping back into old habits.
- PP Thursdays (or another day of your choice) remain. This is to help you combat any over eating and lose any slight gains. Every week, every Thursday. PP only. Refer to the Attack diet for guidelines.
- 3 TBS of oat bran daily.
- Never take elevators or escalators, use the stairs!
- 20 minute walk daily.
- Eat normally the rest of the week. Choose wisely, relying on the 100 foods allowed during Cruise as the core of your diet.
Dukan Diet is also Available as an e-Book - Take it with you on your smart phone, iPad or Kindle!
If you haven't downloaded the free Kindle App for your smart phone, iPad or even computer. Do so now! There are tons of great books out there, often cheaper or free in the electronic version.
I love being able to access my Dukan Diet book anytime on my smart phone through the free Kindle App. I also can pull it up in full size on my iPad, computer or Kindle. I know I have too many gadgets! But really, I am enjoying eBooks immensely and it's the best way to always have this great resource to the diet with you.
Dukan Resources - Links to recipes, information and support
- The Official US version of the Dukan Diet Website
Find your true weight for free. Your true weight may differ from your desired weight based on other lifestyle factors.
- Daily Mail Story on Dukan
When eminent French nutritionist Dr Pierre Dukan introduced his Dukan Diet ten years ago, the book rushed to the top of the best-seller list and spawned an underground dieting revolution of 200 websites, forums and blogs.
- My Dukan Diet - Recipes and Diet Tips
A Dukan Diet Recipe bank.
- Dukan Diet Fast Weight Loss Diary
Dukan diet diary - Dukan diet recipes and menu.
- Dukan Diet - Here's a Quick Way to Lose Weight without starving yourself to death.
Great overview of the diet, the foods involved and tips and tricks.
Walk this Way - 30 Minutes Everyday is the Secret to Keeping the Weight off
No excuses! You can split up the walk, try a 15 minute walk break in the morning and afternoon. You can also change it up for a different form of exercise. But everyday, get your tush moving.
Photo used under Creative Commons from o5com.
Eat McDonalds and Lose Weight - 2 free movies to watch on Hulu.com
Have you seen Supersize Me? The movie where Morgan Spurlock, a documentary filmmaker, ate nothing but McDonalds for a solid month and he gained 25lbs. Well, Fat Head is a documentary that set out to debunk some of the so called facts in Supersize Me. Jimmy Moore also ate McDonalds for a solid month, but by utilizing his brain he was able to lose weight, reduce his body fat and lower his bad cholesterol while raising the good kind. Fat Head's big secret? He used his head and kept carbs and calories in check while walking for exercise 6 out of 7 days a week. The movie does a good job of explaining the science and politics that surround the so called obesity epidemic.
It's also worth noting that Jimmy Moore in Fat Head did not worry about the fat content of his food, as he states low fat diets make people feel depressed. Instead he focused on calories and carb counts. Dukan advises you to keep low fat and low carb because in doing so it automatically controls your calories. It is extremely difficult to consume enough Dukan approved foods every single day and gain weight. Dukan believes if you were good at counting calories you wouldn't have any weight to lose.
Diet Survey - What's your go to for slimming down?
Photo used under Creative Commons from Alan Cleaver.