Weight Loss And Counting Those Calories
Go Healthy. Count Calories To Lose Weight
Learn How Easy It Is To Count Calories With A Tuna Sandwich
Losing weight is really fairly easy when you concentrate on sticking to healthy choices. Counting the calories contained in food reminds you to hold back on your portions (unless it's a nice big salad.) I track everything I eat. By keeping track of what I eat and the calories contained in my food, I can eat what I like and not feel deprived.
The healthier I eat, the more calories I save. Let me give you an example:
Let's say I want a tuna sandwich.
A. A typical tuna sandwich packed in oil adding chopped egg and mayo with 2 slices of bread is roughly 583 calories.
B. A tuna sandwich packed in water is only about 40 calories. When you select a serving of low-fat mayo that is only another 40 cal. (1 tsp.)
I either use low-calorie bread, (2 slices) are 80 calories or 1 slice of regular wheat bread. I add chopped celery (no calories) to give some crunch to my sandwich.
And if I really want to save calories for my dinner, I simply make a tuna wrap using a crisp lettuce leaf instead of bread. I add low-fat mayo to the tuna along with chopped onion and celery and it's delicious. You can do the math on this one. You save a huge number of calories.
Tip: Instead of having high-calorie potato chips on the side, I substitute oven baked sliced sweet potatoes, low in calories, very healthy, and so delicious.
Better Alternative To Potato Chips
Easy Weight Loss by The Numbers - A No Brainer
After I figure out what my daily caloric intake should be, I document everything I eat and drink. My "free" foods are mostly veggies, so I try to include a healthy size portion with my meal. This also fills me up and avoids my wanting a snack later on.
If I want a scoop of ice cream I have it. I build my menu around the ice cream so that I stick to my numbers. My calculated numbers are 1100-1200 per day. The healthier my choices, the less hungry I get. Don't forget...fiber is filling.
This really is the easy way to drop weight. And of course, the more I move my body the better. Always include your favorite form of exercise to keep your heart muscle strong and help to kick-start weight loss.
Remember to drink plenty of water. I also find that often times, when I think I'm hungry, I'm really thirsty. So I up my water intake too.
Drink Plenty of Water to Keep Your Tummy Full
Embarrassed and Hurt I Set Out To Lose Weight
When I was in my last year of high school, I wanted nothing more than to be on the drill team.
Being a member of the drill team back in the 1950s was the equivalent to being on the Dallas Cheerleaders.
Tryouts were coming up and I worked hard every day after school learning the routines. I was doing well and it wasn't long before I knew every movement like the back of my hand.
The day for demonstrating my expertise soon came. It was late afternoon. I made my way to the football field and waited for my turn. My confidence was soaring as I heard my name called out.
"Audrey Kerr" - "please come forward". Donning a big smile, I performed my routine flawlessly. Then I took a seat and waited while the rest of the girls took their turn, one by one.
As I glued my eyes to every move of my competition, I was absolutely sure that I had nailed my audition. After all, I was equally as good or better than any of the other girls.
It only took about 30 minutes for the judges to finalize their selections. Each girl was then called in for a private, very quick interview and told whether or not they made the team.
At last, it was my turn. Full of excitement, (I had visualized how I would accept the good news), I marched right to the judge's area, very full of myself, and sat in the cold folding chair.
" Audrey, you gave a great performance, the routine was perfect, but there is a problem. Unfortunately, we have a very strict rule about weight and our guidelines are clear. You would have to lose 10-20 pounds throughout the summer to qualify for the drill team. Do you think you can do that?"
Trying to hide my devastation and tears, I assured the judges that I could and would lose the weight. I cried all the way home.
A Bit of Humor
My Diet and Sleepless Nights
My first real job, as a teenager, was being an usherette in the local movie theater. (Yes it's been a while). In those days, when folks went to the movies, upon entering the dark theater, a boy or girl dressed in a uniform with a flashlight in hand escorted people to their seats.
I enjoyed this job. It would pay for the "diet pills" I needed for losing the extra weight I carried.
I began my diet and ate what I wanted then waited for the diet pills to work their magic. After three weeks of sleepless nights, I couldn't stand it anymore. My mother warned me that I was going about my weight loss program in the wrong way. She told me to stop the diet pills and simply start counting my calories.
I immediately did just as she said. I stopped the diet pills and soon I was sleeping like a baby once again. I wrote down everything I ate and tracked the calories.
By the time school rolled around, I had lost every bit of the extra weight. After re-auditioning, I was given a thumbs up and added to the drill team.
Despite all the different diets out there, managing your weight comes down to the calories you take in versus those you burn off.
Make Your Tostada Meatless
Try This Delicious, Meatless, Healthy Tostada
This is one of my favorites. I love Mexican food. But it's so high in calories and so bad for the arteries, I had to find an alternative. This recipe works for me and my guests enjoy it so much.
Many of you may already use this recipe, but for those of you who don't, the steps are so easy.
All you need is:
- 1 can of fat -free refried beans or black beans
- Corn tortillas
- Chopped lettuce
- Grated cheese - reduced fat
- Chopped onions
- Diced tomato
1. Pre-heat oven to 350.
- 2. Place the tortillas right on the rack until crisp ( just a min. or so).
3. While the tortillas are heating up, heat up the canned beans.
4. Place heated tortilla on a plate and spread heated beans over the tortilla.
5. Layer with lettuce, onions, tomatoes, a little-shredded cheese and some salsa.
6. Top with a thin slice of avocado.
I add additional beans on the side with a sprinkle of cheese and s few slices of fruit. Filling and satisfying and very healthy.
Calorie Information For 1 Serving
- Taco shell - 53 cal
- Beans - 120 cal
- Cheese - 60 cal
- Avocado - 55 cal
In addition to counting calories...
Have you counted calories to lose weight?
Drink a Full Glass of Water While You Watch This ~
A Quick Review and Positive Affirmations
It takes 28 days to break an old habit such as your eating habits. I suggest taking baby steps to begin making the necessary changes you need to in order to eat healthily and lose a few pounds.
- Switch sugary, fatty ice cream for healthy greek yogurt. Top with a dollop of whip cream and sliced almonds or other favorite nuts. You'll save about 100 calories and yogurt is a great source of calcium.
- Greek Yogurt is high in protein, which helps promote fullness. A typical 6-ounce serving contains 15 to 20 grams, the amount in 2 to 3 ounces of lean meat.
- Fill up on water and cut up veggies between meals to keep you satisfied and full.
- With around 2,500 varieties grown in the United States, an apple provides both soluble and insoluble fiber. This slows your digestion down. Do not peel your apple as the skin holds the most insoluble fiber.
- Count every calorie you consume and write them down as a quick reference to how you're spending them.
- Junk food will cost you more calories, are less nutritious and won't keep you full near as long as a healthy snack.
- Keep yourself busy (not with watching television) to occupy your mind and keep yourself from picturing food.
- Positive affirmations help you reach your goal.
- Remember - one day at a time.
- If you over-eat on one day, forgive yourself and move on. It's okay.
3 Positive Affirmations To Choose From
- My body is amazing and I love my body. In order to show the deep love and respect for my body, I choose to eat healthy foods. Each moment I decide to eat or drink something, I am conscious of the impact it will have on my overall health and I make healthy choices.
- I trust my body and know that it will naturally adjust to an ideal weight for me. Food is nourishment and I realize this. I make good and healthy eating choices based on my nourishment needs. I move regularly and enjoy every moment of it. I am healthy and slim!
- Water refreshes and replenishes me. Water helps me maintain my good health and vibrant skin. I love water. I love drinking water. I drink enough water each day.
Live and love in good health.
How Many Diets Have You Tried?
© 2011 Audrey Hunt