Eat Golden Kiwis For Their Heart Healthy Benefits!
Golden Kiwifruit and its Healthy Benefits
The golden kiwifruit is becoming a lot easier to find at the local farmer's markets, especially during the summer. Their popularity may be due to their recently discovered heart healthy benefits. I admit, too, that I enjoy finding unique and colorful fruits and vegetables just for their beauty. The abundant nutrition is just an added benefit.
Is it Kiwi or Kiwifruit?
Although it is known as kiwifruit, in many parts of the world is has been shortened to just kiwi. The kiwi fruit is the edible berry of the woody vine found in the Actinidia genus. The seeds of the fruit are also edible.
How is the golden kiwi beneficial for a healthy heart?
- The golden kiwi is loaded with polyphenols that have been found to be effective in greatly reducing cholesterol. This, in turn, greatly reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack.
- Compared to the green kiwifruit, the golden kiwi has twice as many polyphenols. These polyphenols have also been shown to protect us against cell damage.
Note: To get the most nutrients from the fruit consume it only when it becomes fully ripened.
What are the other healthy benefits of kiwi?
- Kiwis are an excellent source of vitamin C and are also rich in vitamin K and vitamin E. They are also a good source of fiber and the mineral potassium. Both the fruit and skin contain flavonoids and carotenoids which provide antioxidant benefits.
- Vitamin C is helpful in reducing the severity of several ailments including asthma, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. Because vitamin C is important for a strong immune system it has been shown to help prevent conditions such as heart disease, colon cancer and atherosclerosis. The average kiwi has 137 mg. of vitamin C which is more than an orange.
- The fiber in kiwifruit is beneficial for cardiovascular health and blood sugar control. Fiber helps bind and remove toxins from the colon.
- The list of healthy benefits is extensive as more research continues to be done.
- As an added bonus, eating kiwis help revive dull skin.
When is the fruit available?
Kiwis grown in California are available starting in November and through May. Imports are available from June through October. This is why you can find the fruit year round.
Description of the Golden Kiwifruit Compared to the Green:
The skin of the golden kiwi is less fuzzy than the green fruit and often it has a skin that is bronze in color. Additionally, the flesh of the golden kiwi is more aromatic with a sweeter taste. It does, however, have a shorter shelf life making it more difficult to find and even increasing the cost. (see photo of both green and golden kiwifruits)
The kiwifruit is a native plant of southern China and was originally known as Yang Tao. It is also known as the National Fruit of China.
Trivia Note: Italy produces the greatest amount of kiwifruit. More than 70% of all kiwis sold is produced in Italy, New Zealand and Chile The USA is the 8th on the list of the top 10 growers.
See links below for more healthy colorful fruit and vegetable ideas.
Have you ever eaten golden kiwi fruit?
More healthy colorful fruits and vegetables!
- Black Garlic - A Fermented Food and its Amazing Heal...
Black Garlic is becoming very popular, not only for its taste and exotic appearance, but for its many healthy benefits.
- Healthy Purple Foods: 3 to Try
Purple foods have a dark pigment known as anthocyanin, which provide a number of very healthy benefits. In fact, purple corn has five times more anthocyanin than blueberries.
- Grapes: 5 Healthy Benefits and a Face Mask
While snacking on grapes and enjoying the healthy benefits, save a few to make a face mask. Grapes are filled with an ingredient used in many skin-firming and anti-wrinkle cosmetics.
- Orange Cauliflower - the Food That Improves Your Ski...
For healthy skin enjoy orange cauliflower. The high vitamin A content is proven to help improve the skin - even protect it against sun damage.
- 5 Medicinal Benefits of the Jujube Fruit
The jujube is much more than a box of overpriced candy at the movie theater. In fact, it is a real fruit with real health benefits known for thousands of years.