Eating Dairy Free for Decreased Acne
There are a million myths surrounding what causes acne. And while still no one knows for sure, there is truth behind the correlation between dairy and acne. The hormones within dairy are the main culprit behind the breakouts they lead to. Cutting dairy out of your diet may not clear up your acne fully, but it can at very least help with inflammation.
Foods that Include Dairy
- Ice Cream or Gelato
- Milk Chocolate
On an ingredients list, look for the word "casein" as well.
- Milk is the easiest of the dairy products to substitute. There are many options including: Lactose-free milk, rice milk, coconut milk, almond milk, and soy milk.
- Lactose-free brands are hard to spot, but sold at many stores. Some brands include: Tofutti, Daiya, and Almond Dream.
- Dark chocolate is usually okay to eat, but make sure to check the ingredient list regardless.
How to Improve Your Acne
- Cut out all dairy completely for a few weeks to decrease inflammation and jump start the acne clear up. After a noticeable difference has happened with your skin, you can try to incorporate a little bit of dairy back into your diet. However, it is best to keep dairy out of the diet for as long as possible.
- As long as you are eating a balanced diet, you shouldn't need to worry about not getting some nutrients. If you feel the need, take a calcium supplement.
- The longer you go without dairy, the easier it is. It's just like any other diet. It will be tough in the beginning, but rewarding in the end.
- Try to incorporate some other acne-fighting foods into your diet as well, such as lemon, honey, salmon, apples, and green tea (Learn more about these acne fighting foods and more, here). Of course, these foods will do wonders for you body as a whole, so there's no reason not to eat these!