Ebola Virus Outbreak Today And Your Health
I repeatedly received text messages on my cell phone or hand set this year 2014. This is on update of the ebolavirus. Many thanks to my internet service providers. I am not aware of what the ebolavirus is in the first instance. I am solely preoccupied with networking and writing articles for online sites, updating my affiliatship with an online vendor and posting to my blog. I had not realized they are ever such an issue as ebolavirus outbreak!
Early August 2014, I return from work as late as usual and my wife intimated me of current local issues on ebolavirus outbreak. It was late into the evening precisely on a Thursday, and I immediately connect to google ebolavirus.
I was alarmed to the extent of my ignorance on the subject; and I at once consult Wikipedia and other updates.
The result is this story you are about to read. Happy reading!
DIgital Illustration Of Ebolaviru
Ebolavirus: Challenges And Issues
I begin this study by referencing to trusted institutions. Ebolavirus is so challenging and has many issues. This is giving doctors and scientist many worries.
It is easy to get the disease if care is not taken. But how does it develop in the human body? We all know the life cycle of a mosquito virus. So we are able to know how the disease developed in the human body; and drugs that can destroy the virus can be made available. Some persons who have the ebolavirus are not even sick or develop signs of the illness. Why is this? Within two to twenty-one days has been noted to develop the illness if a person is infected. Another claim of eight to ten days is marked. All the same, the 8-10 days that fall within the 2-21 days is only an agreement and do not make any issue.. But the disease can show up anytime. If it strikes on the first or second day, is it likely that the infected person has a high history of other ailments like a typhod or a fever? Is it likely the person has a poor immune system? Medical scientists and doctors has not look into such challenging issues. All they have told us is that the symptoms of common illness like a fever follows an attack of ebolavrus. As these signs are similar, they are ruled out until ebolavirus is confirmed in a patient http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/symptoms/
Now the challenge arising is this: doctors, nurses, researchers handling ebola patients experienced death first hand. Did they have a poor immune system? If so, what effort if any they took to develop their immune system? Could this infer that certain numbers of the populace has a very poor immune system; and should this be the case, what steps are the health institutions taking to educate the citizen?
“Men who have recovered from the disease can still transmit the virus through their semen for up to 7 weeks after recovery from illness.” http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/ This is coming from the World Health Organization. Does it means every recovery from the ebola disease, the virus remain latent in the individual? So if an unmarried person becomes infect and later got married being certify free from the disease, he would pass the ebolavirus to all his children or offspring? After this seven weeks of recovery, what happens next? All these are serious questions.
Significance Of Ebolavirus disease outbreak During an outbreak of ebolavirus disease, doctors, nurses and health workers are significantly at grave risk of contacting infection. I observed from my study that these personnel were the first to contact the disease when affording treatment or help to the identified victims. Social workers, family members and friends of the infect persons are also at risk of contacting ebolavirus before this recognition. The community is not spared. This is how serious and significant ebolavirus infection and outbreak can be. Visit www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/en/ According to the WHO, ebolavirus outbreak is now
- “an extraordinary event” and a “public health risk to other states (or countries) in West Africa.
- It has “the possible consequences of further international spread…in view of the virulence of the virus.”
- “a coordinated international response is deemed essential to stop and reserve the international spread of Ebola.”
- It has no known cure, medication and certify drugs.
- Compare to other virus outbreaks like AIDS/HIV where victims can be socialize with, isolation of the victim is the only possible answer.
Statistic Of Ebolavirus ;
- 932 persons have died before the current West African outbreak in 2014.
- More than1500 persons have died to date.
- Early August 2014, 46 persons reported to have died, and 108 disease cases reported
- Various isolated cases of individual deaths occurred in Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Ghana and Liberia.
- 240 health workers affect by ebolavirus and more than half have died.
- Those deaths include doctors, nurses and hospital workers.
Why I Write This Hub: I am not a certification in medicine, but want
- To inform myself and share.
- To express opinion as a global citizen.
- To learn from readers comments that will increase my understanding to learn more.
- To be prepare for any challenge of the ebolavirushealth issues.
- I am an advocate of “washing hands” before and after handling anything item that can contaminate a person or object within my household.
- I had a keen interest in health and well being.
The below topics will be treat subsequently
- Fundamental facts about Ebolavirus.
- Outbreak of Ebolavirus and causes.
- Ebolavirus and Ebolavirus Hermorrhagic Fever.
- Transmission of Ebolavirus.
- Opinion pool and much more.
Fundamental Facts About Ebolavirus
When it comes to the ebolavirus infections, it is another question. The manner in which the virus attack the human response system is devastating. Being a powerful virus that overpowered its human prey, it dismantled both the human system and response; and then took a coup de grace on the vascular system. By this virulent action, human cells in the body particularly, the white blood cells that you know act as a mechanism of defense against viruses, germs and diseases entity in the body are completely destroyed.Your doctor can note your white blood cell count in a malaria attack and make the necessary prescriptions. This will destroy the virus causing the trouble in your body. It will restore your health within 48 hours.
Ebolavirus attack is more than a clock work. It is a system attack that the body breaks down.
Many years ago, several drugs to battled the virus that show some promises in animals were encouraged to be tested in humans too. The results proved negative. For better reasons known to the scientific world, further research for a drug to control the virus was not look into. However, earlier in August 2014, the Brantly and Writebol tests or 'supportive care" respond positive; and revisited the 2009 accidental syringe prick of a German Ebola researcher http://news.sciencemag.org/2009/04/mystery-did-experimental-vaccine-save-ebola-accident-victim-life Highlight and right click to follow link in browser.
This has now pave way to look for a vaccine or drug to control ebola viral
Posters Help Educate People In The Fight Against Ebolaviru
Virologists has so far identified five genus or spices of the Ebola virus. Three are in Africa; and one each in the Phillipines and the People’s Republic of China. The out breaks in the Phillipines and the People Republic of China were noted in the United States from pig meats imported from the two oriental countries.
The recent outbreaks in the West African countries of Liberia, Ivory Coast (Burkina Faso), Guinea and hitting Nigeria has given virologist or medical scientists enough though to gear up and find a solution to the scourge. The World Health Organization (WHO) has been foremost in this.
Each outbreak of ebolavirus is named according to the spice.
- EBOLAVIRUS or Zaira ebolavirus or BOV: This was the first and most important. It is very deadly and has a mortality rate of 90% according to the WHO. This virus took its name from a branch of the Congo River, the Ebola River, hence the term, eboravirus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ebola_virus
It is this virus that is giving scientist and doctors a very tough time.
2. Sudan ebolavirus or SEBOV: This outbreak was simultaneous with the Zaira ebolavirus in 1976. The carrier of this virus is yet to be identified. Suspecting insects, birds, animals and plants is not a better opinion. It was realized that due to “isolated facility”, the spread of the virus was contained. But at least, a worker was infected and how? No one knows to date. There was a further outbreak of this virus in 2004. The death rate was above 50% but limited to 53%.
3. The United States Outbreak: Reston ebolavirus or REBOV In 1989, an outbreak of ebolavirus was discovered in Reston, Virginia in the United States. Then, later in Pennsylvania and Texas. Again, the same virus was discovered in Siena, Italy. In all these cases, it was noted that imported pig meat from the Phillipines and China was responsible. This proves that a culture of ebolavirus can be made and exported.
4. Tai Forest ebolavirus or CIEBOV: was found in Ivory Coast (Burkina Faso) among chimpanzees. This virus was noted as being similar to the Zaira and Sudan ebolavirus. The host of the infection was an animal called Western Red Columbus Monkey, which predominate between Senegal to Ghana. This animal was hunt for its meat. Chimpanzees and gorillas prey and feed on its meat. Contact with the dead monkeys infected a human being.
5. Bundibugyo ebolavirus or BEDOV The virus was discovered in Bundibugyo, in Uganda in 2007 and 2012. Same virus was later discovered in the Congo. It has a low mortality rate of 34%.
Cause Of The ebolavirus disease: The cause of the ebolavirus disease is the five outbreaks of the virus as noted above. You should avoid contact with infect animals, persons and objects that is directly or secondarily contaminated or you will get infect.
Illustration of ebolavirus
Ebolavirus And Ebola Hermorrhagic Fever
Unlike any virus identify by scientist, ebolavirus is more deadly than can imagine. It has no parallel or match in the history of virus infection. Its mortality rate is high. It is giving medical scientist, doctors, virologist and all stack holders in the health industry sleepless night and a very hard time. It has thrown the whole world into an emergency ward. It is initially a animal to man transmissible virus. In other words, you get infect with contact with animals first, before fellow human beings can infect you.
Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever: Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever (Ebola HF) is a viral disease in human beings and nonhuman primates like monkeys, gorillas and chimpanzees. It is very severe and fatal with a very high mortality rate. Ebola HF is the same thing as Ebola hemorrhagic disease. This is the disease caused by the ebolaviru. According to health authorities, symptoms of the disease will manifest “abruptly” or two to twenty-one day during infection. After the twenty-one days, a person exposed to the ebolavirus will not become sick with the disease if no symptoms develop. Common disease symptoms of typhod, fever, headache, sore throats, vomiting and muscle pains; and diarrhea are external signs of the illness. Others are under functioning of the liver and kidneys leading to internal bleeding and death; and Lack of appétite and stomach pain. The outward signs are completely exclude when suspected cases of the illness was being diagnosis until the ebolavirus was confirmed. It has a high fatality rate of 90%.
How Often Do You Wash Your Hands?
Do you wash your hands after handling a virus infect object or touching a person like a cough?
Transmission Of Ebolavirus
As noted above, contact with an infected animal, person and object is identify as in all virus infection. Insects, vegetation and air transmission i.e. by prevailing winds from one country or locality to another has not been established. It is the physical contact with an infected person or object that the virus spread. It is serious to note here that the breath of an infect person can contain fluid and mucous thinly and this is an infection point.
The blood, saliva, urine and sweat of a host have been noted as powerful transmitting agents. Semen of infected person who has recovered can transmitted the illness. Contact with all these will infect you. An inanimate object like your car on which an infected monkey salivated will infect you on contact with the saliva. Therefore, washing of hands and sterilizing or complete discarding of tools used by infected persons or used to treat an infected person is okay.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has stated that “infection has been documented through the handling of infected chimpanzees, gorillas, fruit bats, monkeys, forest antelops and porcupines found ill or dead or in the rain forest.” I am inclined to opined that those in the rain forest should include healthy animals consider as bush meats by the local poeples that falls within the category of ill animal and birds. “Ebola then,” continue the WHO, “spreads in the community through human to human transmission with infection resulting from direct contact (through broken skin or mucous or other bodily fluids of infected people, and indirect contact with environments contaminated with such fluids.”
It is apparent to realized that some persons usually crave for unusual meals. Busy meats and games are believed to prolong life, give extra energy, endurance and sexual exploits. There is no reality in these beliefs. Safe medication and health drugs are always available to resolve such matters. Certify herbal remedies are also available, so are home-made remedies. One can even resolve the question of learning to balance a meal with vegetables, nuts, fruits and herbs.
Apart from the time favor and domesticated animals and birds certify as fit for eating, some persons have inordinate appétite for eating cat, dogs and even snakes. I once read online that the blood of the poisonous cobra snake is a strong sexual stimulant! What kind of virus could the snake transmitted if it were unhealthy?
It is even common for travelers in the country side to refresh. This is where bush meat became available to them. Through the consumption of these items, healthy persons can get infect. This is worst than direct contamination. Here you can get some immediate help. You can be aware of an infect monkey or host if you are a veterinarian, and take the necessary precaution to avoid and contain contamination and the spread of the virus.
Ordinarily, you cannot get the ebolavirus through ordinarily water, air and food. Additionally, one can get it by contaminated needles infected with secretions.
One Of The Many Spice Of Ebolavirus
Prevention, Control And Personal Protection
- Avoid contact with infect animals, birds and objects.
- Avoid contact with infect persons including health personnel workers like doctors and nurses.
- Do not buy and eat thirsty delicious busy meats while travelling or not.
- Avoid contact with any strange domesticated monkeys or animal that is let loose. A monkey can travel to a forest area or into a bush and return to his lord in some cases.
- Report suspicious cases of diseases with signs of high fever, vomiting and frequent stool etc to health authorities.
- Always wash hands with disinfectants, alcoholic liquid, soap and water before and after handling meat, after easing one’s self etc.
Ebolavirus Equipments: Negative Pressure Isolation System Being Offer to Be Supply To Ngeria Health System
Ebola Virus Isolation Systems
Relationship Of HIV/AIDS With Ebolavirus Disease
Diseases or illness are what they are. They strike pain and suffering on the life of human beings and none-humans alike. Some illnesses are so mild or acute that it prolonged suffering. Others are very severe that it immediately end the life of the patient and end the suffering.
Every person has one time or another visited with an illness. How do you go through that terrible illness? Can you tell how the pain is? Or there is no pain because it was a deformation? What is the relationship of the illness with your neighbor? Did they avoid you?
Some persons have committed suicide because of a certain illness. It brings shame, disgrace and discrimination. An illness like Ebolavirus fever has completely destroy a family.
Persons with the HIV/AIDS disease have hope. Is the recent Dr.Brantly and Nancy Writebol story a ray of hope? What is the relationship of HIV/AIDS with Ebolavirus? Below table contrast the two illnesses.
Ebolavirus And HIV/AIDS Contrast
Infected fruit bats, monkeys, gorillas and bush meals
Unprotected sexsual intercourse
Mode of transmission
Primarily infected fruit bats and none-human primates
unprotected sex, breast feeding and blood transmission
RV144 or Tair trial
Garcinia kola extracts suggested
herbal remedies and food supplements approved by WHO
pandemic in the world
confirmed to West Africa
in the United States among homosexsual elements
in the Democratic Republic of Congo
Year of outbreak/detection
1976 in the Democratic Republic of Congo
1980 in the United States
An Interior of A Negative Pressure Isolation System
Ebola Virus Negative Pressure Isolation System- Another Interior View
Top Facts And Tips
- A virus is a any microscope agent that acts as a poison or poisonous substance or agent.
- Ebolavirus when infect a healthy person destroy body cells, especially, the blood.
- It has no parallel in the history of virus infection.
- Fruit bats are repute to be its primary host and the infection is not found in the bat.
- Monkeys and gorillas are secondary hosts.
- The infection is called Ebola Herrmorhagic Fever or Ebolavirus disease.
- Symptoms of the illness shows similar signs as in fever for example.
- Headache, vomiting, stomach pains, lack of appetite, muscle and joint pains that leads to unusual internal and external bleeding are signs.
- Doctors ruled our or reserved all this signs unless the virus or disease id confirmed.
- Isolation of an infected person is the number one way to control and contain the virus.
- Others are Completely discarding used tools, needles, cloths, etc handled by the infected person.
- The known five outbreaks of the virus are Ebolavirus, Sudan, Reston, Tai Forest and Bundibugyo.
- Ebolavirus has no vaccine, no drugs and no cure.
- Drug management in the form of "supportive care" is given to infected patients.
- Medical ethnics of ministering unapproved drugs is being challenged by the WHO.
- Medical personnel giving aid to the infected subject required to used and where protective gears.
- Burial of a deceased infected person as once is required.
- Do not touch or come into contact with an unidentified domesticated animals or pets.
- Wash hands before and after handling any item in the market or shop.
- It is feared that the disease if not properly contained and control can infect all the continents via, travelers who contact the illness in the host countries.
The World Is Now Standing On Two Foot
The outbreak of any virus disease is not confirmed to any locality or country. It is now “like a war…some run away from it; others run into it.” And those who run away from it will later run into those who run into it! This is how many persons will be infect with the virus if care is not taken. It is not a case of broken leg or arm. You can find a broken shoulder in all community of the world. But it cannot be import or export.
Virus are invisible agents. One can import them. You can even export them to the highest bidder. Virus can be harness into biological weapons.
It can be employed to destroy a whole community or country. This is the main reason why biological weapons of mass destruction are forbidden in conventional warfare.
Virus is even worst then atomic weapons or nuclear weapons. A leak in an atomic power plant can be contained easily up to a thousand mile. Emissions of radiations are easily control. The breakdown of an atomic power plant is an easy matter to contain.
Atomic weapons on application can annihilate a country or locality. Survivors could still exist with adverse effect of bodily deformation. Such persons would still live for a decade or two. This can be inferred from the atomic destruction at Horishina and Nagasaki Japan during the last World Wars.
Can this be said of a virus outbreak like ebolavirus if it can be contain and control?
I here recalled some years ago an American physics student experiment with a virus anthrax bacillus? He is trying or about to to hit a black? community with it in a bomb form when he was arrested.
What about those extremity or militants elements? Is the world still aware of biological gas use in Iraq by the late Saddam Hussein government to silence his enemies?
The World Health Organization has declared an emergency in the world.The import of this statement when viewed in line with those made by epidemiologists some ten years ago means that nothing has to be left to only one agency to run.
The world is now standing on two foot!
Death Toll In Four West Africa Ebola Outbreak Countries
"Remember, there is no drug or vaccine against ebola virus disease for now!"
Research Into The Treaatment Of Ebolavirus
Ebolavirus disease has not known a vaccine yet. It has no drug. It has no known cure. Not even a claim to cure the disease has been established. Research into vaccine and drugs is yet to manifest a result. The WHO has said that ebolavirus disease is yet to receive a “liscensed specific treatment or vaccine.” But a recent claim was made by an American ebola victim that he is being threat by a hospital in Atlanta. The 33 year old medical doctor contact the illness in Liberia, in an ebola disease infect community while on a missionary work.
It seems that due to the high fatality rate of the illness; and the uncertain nature and characteristics of the virus, research into specific antivirus to cure the disease is not at sight or has not yield the desire result.
What is being done at present is drug management or “supportive care.” This can be seen in the case of Dr. Kent and a certain Writebol who were being managed with experimental drugs.
Ebolavirus Large Scale Mobile Hospital
Another Ebola Virus Large Scale Mobile Hospital
Experimental Drugs And Issues
Shortly after the Dr, Kent story, the WHO takes a serious response to the treatment. It queried the validity of the medicine and experiments that do not fall within medical ethics in the first place. Is the medicine safe? Has it been tested in the laboratory with non-humans and certify safe for human use? What is the quality and quantity of the dosage? Two questions in the mind of the WHO are:
- The ethnicity to use an “unregistered intervention” or medicines; and
- The criteria to guide the use of the medicine and the manner of priority in receiving the treatment by infected persons.
The import of all this is should an adverse or side effect occurred, who should be responsible? Is it the patient, the doctor, manufacturers or the hospital or clinic?
The 12-man member set up by the WHO has submitted a report to the effect that "it is ethical to offer unproven intervention with as yet unknown efficacy and adverse effects, as potential treatment or prevention." The good news is that the WHO has consented to this but "ethical issues remain against using unproven experimental interventions."
Videos of the ebolavirus are presently rare online. You can watch a slide show here: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/in/pictures/2014/07
Videos Of Ebolavirus
It seems no one worry about making videos of Ebolavirus. Why this is so is not had to figured. It is a very sensitive area not to be infected with the virus. However, slide photos of Ebola patients being taken care of etc are widely available. Highlight and right click the URL opposite and follow the like in your browser to watch a slide show.
Alternative Medicine: Bitter Kola And Ebolavirus
Alternative medicine is getting popular nowadays. Whether it is in the United States or in Great Britain, you find those who practice it. Where western medicine has fail, alternative medicine has success. It is in view of this that a tropical nut called Garcinia kola or locally called bitter kola is being suggest as alternative research medication for ebolavirus.
Surprisingly, the nut is found in the Ebola strike zone of Benin, Cameroun, Democratic Republic of Congo and Ivory Coast (Bukina Faso), Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, Senegal and Sierra Leone only It was noted in traditional medicine as a powerful ingredient in the treatment of all cold issues, coughs, cold, fever and liver troubles for example. In a research done in 1999 with Garcinia kola, it was discovered that an extract in the nut has the potency to retard the growth of the ebolavirus in rats.
Claim For A Cure: More recently, claim for a cure by utilizing Garcinia kola is being circulate especially in Nigeria. This was attributed to a Professor Maurice Iwu. He was one of the researchers who identify the extract in the nut. Mr. Iwu has refuted the claim but said that the nut have a compound “that was able to arrest the replication of the Ebola Virus.” http://www.channelstv.com/2014/08/19/ebola-bitter-kola-stops-replication-virus-cure
The compound or extract according to the professor also serves “to strengthen the body system with natural immune boosters.”
A Look At Liberia The claim for an ebolavirus cure was again refuted by established authority in the health sector in Liberia. The rumour in Nigeria on the potency of the Garcinia kola to cure ebolavirus hit Liberia in a negative way. The health authority has ask the public to report any administration of vaccine, preventive or curative to the police authority.
Bitter kola has no cure for the Ebolavirus fever. But it is hope the extract should soon be apply to ebolavirus patient who are willing to face the test?
Garcinia Kola Is Reputed To Have A Compound That Arrest The Replication Of Ebolavirus And An Immune Booster
Interior Of A Negative Pressure Isolation System
Ebola virus is the new virus in recent circulation in West Africa currently. Fears are that if not properly controlled and contained, its transmission will be world wide.
The virus is a powerful virulent agent latent within the fruit bats in the Zaire or Congo forest but found in the Sudan, West Africa countries of Guinea, Senegal, Ivory Coast and Ghana. There is no evidence that it has a non human host in Nigeria. The virus has also be found in the United States through imported pig meats from the Phillipines and China.
Ebolavirus has no vaccine yet. It has no certify drugs and treatment. Experimental drugs were presently being used as a supportive medication.
Avoiding contact with an infected animal, object and tools is the best practice to protect one's self against the virus and disease. The question of socialization with friends and family members or the community do not arise. Isolation of the infected person is okay.
Research into new ways for a vaccine and a cure is currently on.
To your good health and protection.
Ebola: Now And Then
West Africa is still in the hot spot of the Filovirus Haemorrhagic Fever (HF). What practical effort made to made to contain and control the outbreak, infection, contamination and spread is still in its infancy. A country alone is not capable of controlling an epidemic of the RNA ebola virus.
West Africa is in emergency in this regard. However, one can appreciated the minimal drive being put in place like health infrastructures, health personnel, campaigns, logistics, etc by the WHO and the host countries.
International aids is already falling low due to out-stretched limitations. It is in the midst of this that another eruption of the virus from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) is making the news.
WHO clearly observed that this later irruption in DRC is not associated with West Africa. The two virus spices are distinctively different and trans-human contact is zero.
Bush meat or game as some prefer to call it is eaten all over the world. It is part and parcel of a cultural civilization. It evolved before the domestication of animals and birds; and it set the pace for domesticating animals. Nevertheless, the taste, preference, the nutritional content of a game speaks much In terms of health benefit if it falls within a legit beast.
Monkeys, gorillas and none-human primates are now endangered and rare spices in the animal kingdom. That fruit bats are being associated with pig farms makes me think that bush meats could include bush pig. A hog is not necessarily a good food for human consumption. He carried a lot of disease with him. The killing, preparation, cooking of the meat is not well done at a suitable temperature where all germs in the meat is destroy. This can account for some of the infections and deaths being record regardless of if a bat or monkey is eaten.
Bush meat is still being consumed all over the world. The Africans are not exception. Like I said above, it evolved with the culture of a people. It was interwoven with the cultural heritage of a person, community or an isolated ethnic group.
The index case of just one person cause the death of 13 persons in 24 cases so far; and put 80 others on monitoring. What significance does this holds in predicting each recorded cases?
The most important issue is the eating of games that cause the illness. Are these people and others receiving enough education on food and health? Is much campaign going on for this purpose?
To your good health.
Posters Can Educate Peoples On Ebola
Get the latest news on ebola at:
- Click on Health in the acbnews web site to load the latest news on ebola.
2. Go to the WHO home page at
- Click on WHO/Health topics and a new window opens.
- Click on Ebola Heamorrhagic Fever or refine your search on Ebola in the WHO Home page search box on Ebola and you are done.
- And yet another http://news.sciencemag.org/
Copy right 2014 Miebakagh57 (Miebakagh Fiberesima)