- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions»
- Skin Diseases & Conditions
Insight About Mosquito Diseases & Vaccinations
Citizens Of The World Against Mozzies
Most people used to feel that mosquito bites were nothing more than an annoyance. The public perception was that most bites are minor situations, accompanied with discomfort and sever itching.
Today, world citizens are united in their perceptual awareness of the massive mosquito problems. Mozzies, another name for mosquitoes, are a known risk factor for dangerous diseases that have the potential to take human life. In reality,
Controlling mosquitoes, and understanding symptoms, has never been more important than it is in this modern society. It has also never been easier to self educate about these, and other bugs.
Until 2016, the most commonly known mosquito-borne disease was Malaria. Now, everyone’s attention is on the Zika virus. Yet, those are only two, of many, diseases humans can contract from these pesky blood suckers.
As even the CDC mosquito precautions explain that a good bottle of mosquito repellent can go a long way. Of course, if you want to use less bug spray, then learning how to break the life cycle of a mosquito is useful.
The symptoms of mosquito diseases vary widely. The only catch-all symptom is the red, itchy welt. Only those with a mosquito allergy or those who contract one of the serious mosquito illnesses will see sever health issues with an initial bite.
What Stops Itchy Mosquito Bites?
Treating Minor Irritations
The most common symptom of mosquito bite is swelling and itching. Some may experience this worse than others, such as people who are allergic to mosquitoes. Either way, everyone (even many scientists) feel that the world would be better off without mosquitoes.
There is no real cure for a mosquito bite, other than time. Taking out the beast by engaging in thoughtful mosquito control is recognized as a valid idea (even though probably impossible).
In the mean time, there are lots of ways to soothe the distress humans feel from bites.
Treat swelling with:
- OTC creams
- Drink more water
- Vics Vapor Rub
- Prescrition steroidal creams
Treat itching with:
- OTC creams, such as cortisone
- Nutmeg oil
- Baking soda paste mixture (baking soda and water)
Mosquito Bite Allergy
When I discovered my daughter covered head to toe in welts after placing her in the playpen for only two minutes, was when I learned some people are actually allergic to mosquitos! I even took my daughter to the hospital!
People with a sensitivity to mosquitoes suffer major discomfort, and people with a full on allergy can get welts that are painful, severely itchy and that could lead to mosquito bite infection. I am not talking about one welt, but dozens of golf ball sized welts.
There are many mosquito bite allergy remedies, but the first place to go is to your doctor to find out the severity of your allergy.
How sever is your mosquito bite reaction?
More Serious Mosquito Bite Illnesses
List of Mosquito Caused Diseases and Symptoms
- Rift Valley Fever - The formal name of this disease is viral zoonosis. Most people who have not encountered it are unaware of it because it is more common in animals than in people. The problem is that it does effect people, and cause very serious distress.
- Zika Virus – Most recent, but not the only mosquito-borne disease. Babies born with Zika can have lifelong health problems.
- Malaria – Did you know that the USA virtually eradicated malaria back in the 50s? Symptoms include heavy sweating, tiredness, lower belly pain, fever and more.
- Chikungunya -. Even though most people in North America and Europe are unaware of this mosquito-borne illness, it is spreading into North America and parts of Europe.
- West Nile Virus – Not everyone has symptoms from WNV. In fact, most people will never know they were infected. In serious cases it can be dangerous.
- Dengue fever – This one has made appearances in the far southern parts of the USA. It causes a high fever accompanied by the hemorrhaging of small or large blood vessels.
- Yellow Fever – This one is like West Nile and Zika. Some people might feel like they have the flu. Makes you wonder how many flu cases are really the flu! Luckily this one is isolated in places in the world you will probably never go. Only in severe cases does it live up to its name, causing jaundice when severe.
- Encephalitis – There are many variations of encephalitis. Most are named after the location in which the bite is received. Some types are present in North America and Europe. Encephalitis is a medical term that describes swelling of the brain.
Mosquito Vaccine Chart
Vaccine under development with two possible candidates.
West Nile Virus
Not avaliable for humans, but there are vaccines for horses and some other mammals.
Live virus vaccine
Depends on Type
Rift Valley Fever
Animal vaccine exists
Don't Wait To Protect Yourself
By now you likely wonder why they even exist. Even animal activists can understand the necessity for humans to kill mosquitoes. Home owners, apartment dwellers, business owners, and governments must seek and destroy these winged vermin.
Even diseases like Zika have been around for decades, with the potential and new diseases being very high. Malaria was even a huge problem in the USA until the government cured the problem back in the 50s.
In this new modern decade, we must be aware of the dangers that mosquitoes pose, and dedicated to protecting ourselves and our families from those dangers.