- Exercise & Fitness»
3 Effective yoga asanas (poses) for diabetes control
Diabetes is said to be the "silent killer" because it never makes it's presence felt until it reaches a dramatic level from where it usually forces you to thrive on insulin injections. While the medications and alternate treatments to keep a control on sugar levels, but it's Yoga that is said to have promising results when practiced regularly. With continuous practice of yoga one can treat Type 2 diabetes very easily and it plays vital role in prevention of diabetes, too. So if you have borderline sugar level, then start practicing following yoga asana (poses) today.
Remember Before You Begin
Before we begin with the asanas, take note of the following:
- Always practice in clean and hygienic environment. Use a that's soft and kind to your skin. yoga mat
- Practice empty stomach. Early morning is the best time to practice yoga asana for controlling diabetes.
- Never force your body to do any asana. Do the bends and stretches as per the flexibility of your body.
- Focus on breathing. Simple rule:- When doing any upward movements-breath in; when bending down-breath out.
- Once you reach the final posture, switch to normal breathing.
- Hold in the final posture of each asana or pose for as long as you comfortably can.
- Each movement in your pose has to be gracefully slow, remember we are NOT doing Power Yoga.
1. Dhanurasana Or The Bow pose
People with blood pressure, hernia and heart problems shouldn't practice this asana,
Other benefits of Dhannurasana:
- Reduces excess fat
- Improves digestion
- Increases breathing capacity of lungs
- Activates Manipura Chakra.
Dhanurasana (Bow Pose) Steps
- Lay down with stomach touching ground.
- Release your breath, bend your knees and hold your feet with both hands.
- Breath in lift your face and knees to form bow pose.
- Release your breath and come to position as in step 2.
- Breath in and come to original posture.
2. Trikonasana or Triangle Pose
- Improves flexibility of spinal chord
- Corrects alignment of the shoulder
- Relieves pain in back and lower back.
- Improves indigestion, gastritis and acidity
- Reduces acne and pimples.
- Stand with hands by your both side. Distance between your legs should be of 30 to 45 inches, stretch as much as you comfortably can.
- Breath in and raise your both hands.
- Slowly breath out and bend to your right side, with your right hand touching your right toe and left hand straight towards the sky. Your eyes should be towards the sky.
- Now breath in and come back to position no.2.
- Breath out and take posture 1.
- Breath in and come to relaxed posture of standing straight.
Repeat by bending on the left side now.
3. Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Patients with High blood pressure shouldn't practice this
- If you face arthritis or any wrist related troubles don not try this asana.
- Relaxes your spine Elongates and releases tension from your spine
- Strengthens your arms, shoulders, and back
- Improves digestion
- Aids in reducing headaches, back pain, insomnia and fatique
Downward facing dog pose steps
- Resume dog posture with palms down and knees touching ground.
- Breath in raise your knees with your hips pointing to sky
- Bend your knees slightly and lift the heels.
- Breath out bringing your head towards your abdomen.
- Flatten your heals and straighten the knees.
- Breath in and move your head forward bending your knees.
- Breath out and relax in face down sleeping posture.
Which of these asanas have you tried and enjoyed?
There are many more asanas that are effective in controlling diabetes, but these three are easy to begin with. As your body becomes more flexible and accepting to do tougher asanas you can do the most difficult-looking yoga poses like a dance. Other asanas that help you keep sugar level in control are Sarvangasana, Halasana, Matsyasana, etc. My yoga teacher says, to gain maximum benefit out of any asana, it's important to do it right and increase your timing of holding the final posture, no matter which asana it is. So, start with these 3 relatively easy asana's to keep your diabetes under control and then move on to learn other poses.
Remember: Don't forget to enjoy each movement of your each yoga pose.
- Ten Cooking Oil Burn Home Remedies and Treatments
Quick home remedies to immediately deal with a skin burn caused by cooking oil; to avoid boils full of puss or leave ugly marks. If case of fatal burns these remedies'll provide temporary relief.
- Indigestion and Constipation Home Remedies that Actu...
Quick and effective constipation cures in the form of home remedies for slow digestion and indigestion with figs, juices, exercising, yoga and laxatives that are safe for your body
- 4 Home remedies for stuffy nose, common cold
4 Trusted home remedies for getting rid of that annoying cold caused in monsoon and winter. Effective especially for infants and kids.