Emotional Health: Emotional Freedom Technique- EFT
Emotional health is just as important, is not more so than physical health, and to be completely honest, they go hand in hand- you can't have great physical health without great emotional health and you can't have great emotional health without great physical health. So it is important for us to take a moment to evaluate our emotional health, and imply some measures of improving it. I recently came across a way of improving emotional health call the Emotional Freedom Technique. I have tried it, and I must say that I am a fan!!
What is the Emotional Freedom Technique?
The Emotional Freedom Technique, or EFT, is a technique used to optimize your emotional health by removing "emotional barriers"- those negative things that hold you back.
EFT is very easy to learn:
- Remove Negative Emotions
- Reduce Food Cravings
- Reduce or Eliminate Pain
- Implement Positive Goals
EFT is a form of psychological acupressure, based on the same energy meridians used in traditional acupuncture to treat physical and emotional ailments for over five thousand years, but without the invasiveness of needles. Instead, simple tapping with the fingertips is used to input kinetic energy onto specific meridians on the head and chest while you think about your specific problem - whether it is a traumatic event, an addiction, pain, etc. -- and voice positive affirmations.
This combination of tapping the energy meridians and voicing positive affirmation works to clear the "short-circuit" - the emotional block -- from your body's bioenergy system, thus restoring your mind and body's balance, which is essential for optimal health and the healing of physical disease.
Some people are initially wary of these principles that EFT is based on - the electromagnetic energy that flows through the body and regulates our health is only recently becoming recognized in the West. Others are initially taken aback by (and sometimes amused by) the EFT tapping and affirmation methodology.
However, I have found that focusing on the problem as part of this EFT technique can do some good- although I am sure if is different for all of us.
How to tap:
Tap lightly with the tips of your fingers in the following locations while focusing on the problem at hand:
(1) On the Top of the Head, with fingers back-to-back down the center of the skull.
2) At the beginning of the eyebrow, just above and to one side of the nose.
3) On the bone bordering the outside corner of the eye.
4) On the bone under an eye about 1 inch below your pupil.
5) On the small area between the bottom of your nose and the top of your upper lip.
6) Midway between the point of your chin and the bottom of your lower lip. Even though it is not directly on the point of the chin, we call it the chin point because it is descriptive enough for people to understand easily.
7) The junction where the sternum (breastbone), collarbone and the first rib meet. This is a very important point and in acupuncture is referred to as K (kidney) 27. To locate it, first place your forefinger on the U-shaped notch at the top of the breastbone (about where a man would knot his tie). From the bottom of the U, move your forefinger down toward the navel 1 inch and then go to the left (or right) 1 inch.
8) On the side of the body, at a point even with the nipple (for men) or in the middle of the bra strap (for women). It is about 4 inches below the armpit.
9) The last point is the inside of both wrists.