Unique Facts and Benefits of Durian.
Not all people like durian but after reading this hub I hope they change their minds. Yes, beyond its strong smell, durian has other benefits for human, not to mention its great taste. You can make good use of all parts of durian: its flesh, its husks, its seeds even its smell !.
Durian which has the scientific name Durio zibethinus, is a very popular fruit in terms of its superior taste as well as its benefits. No wonder that people who know those positive values of durian call it " The King of Fruits ".
Here are some benefits and unique facts about durian.
Durian flesh :
Multivitamins: Durian flesh contains a lot of vitamins like vitamins A, E, Ascorbic acid, Calcium, phosphor, Potassium, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Sugar, Fat, Protein and fibers which are needed by our body.
Sexual hormone: Many people believe durian can increase vitality related to one's sexual activity that's because durian has a lot of Amino acid known as Triptofan which stimulate production of serotinin in brain. To achieve this purpose many people eat it together with lamb meat to get more drastic effect. Because of its stimulant role, eating durian together with alcoholic drink is not recommended considering the effect may raise blood pressure significantly.
Some beauty products which utilize the benefit of durian.
Anti Aging : Use durian flesh as masker and it will reduce aging process on face thanks to its rejuvenating effect. A product called Intensive Wrinkle Reducer containing the extract of durian has been made by a well-known cosmetic company. According to the company the durian extract formula may reduce wrinkles around eyes (crow feet) up to 33% in 3 weeks and tightening skin by 55% in twelve weeks, 45% improvement in skin smoothness in four weeks, and 44% increase in hydration in four weeks.
Durian Cakes and candies.
There are some favorite durian-based foods like cakes, ice cream and candies, and the one I like best is Durian Pancake. It is not so difficult to make a yummy durian pancake, what you need to prepare are:
A pancake consists of two parts, the skin and the fillings. To make the pancake skin you need:
8 teaspoons of icing sugar
8 teaspoons of tapioca flour
4 teaspoons of plain flour
4 Teaspoons of plain/unsalted butter.
60 ml of Vegetable cooking oil.
230 ml of mineral water.
And for the pancake fillings, you need :
300 grams of evaporated milk.
500 grams of durian flesh.
Pancake skin preparation:
- Put the icing sugar, flour and tapioca in the blender and mix them thoroughly.
- Heat up the butter on a frying pan at temperature around 150° C. Let the butter melt.
- Beat the eggs into the mixture, add some mineral water to liquefy it. Mix slowly until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the frying pan and spread it evenly to get the same thickness on the whole parts. The frying will take some minutes only and it finishes when it has hardened.
- Remove and place the pancake skin on a tray and let it cool down.
Pancake Fillings preparation :
- Mix durian flesh with evaporated milk well.
- Put the mixture on pancake skin and cut it into proportional sizes. It may need some technique in cutting it so that you can completely wrap the durian pancake in the skin.
- Chill it at temperature 18° C and it's served best while it's chilled.
What Can We Do with Durian husks.
Don't throw durian husks right away after we eat them. Durian husks are also useful that we can use them for :
- Neutralize the effects of durian after we eat it. Two effects we normally get after consuming durian : rising blood pressure and body temperature, and the strong smell of durian left in our mouth. People in my country have a technique to neutralize those effects using durian shells. Fill into concave part of the inner shell with cold drink water then drink it. Do it two to three times and we'll get neutralized effects after eating durian including the annoying smell in our mouth. Believe it or not, it works !.
Paper made from Durian Husks.
Durian husk is also used as a material in making hand made paper. You can make artistic paper which has particular patterns when you make it out of durian husk pulp.
To make paper from durian husks:
- Chop some durian husks into small pieces.
- Put them into a cooking pan or drum (depends on how much husk you cook), add water to the pan until all husks are soaked.
- Cooked the husks for about 1 to 1.5 hours to soften them. Let them cool down to room temperature.
- Put them in the blender to crush the husk fiber into pulp.
- Move durian husk pulp to a square plastic container, add some water if you think it's too thick and mix evenly. I usually also add some PVC glue to make the paper stronger.
- Using a pair of mold and deckle, catch the pulp by immersing them down into the pulp liquid then lift them up slowly. Let water flow back from the mold to the pulp for some seconds.
- lay a sponge on a flat surface and cover it with a wet cotton fabric. Put the mold with pulp layer onto the wet fabric with up side down position (the pulp layer touches the wet fabric).
- Press a little then gently lift the mold. The pulp layer should stay on the wet fabric and put another layer of wet cotton fabric on its surface. To squeeze water in the wet pulp layer, you can use a wood board in the same size of the mold then put a weight something like a brick to press the board.
- After all water is absorbed/squeezed from the pulp sheet, remove the wood board and the cotton fabric. Leave the wet sheet in open space to make it totally dry and becomes paper.
Creative hands can change durian paper into a lot of artistic products like various functional boxes, block notes, ornaments, and many more.
Durian Seeds :
We can give added value to durian seeds so that they are more valuable. They can be made into durian flour and durian chips. This is how to make durian flour :
Wash durian seeds cleanly. Carefully pound them one by one using a hammer.
Dry the mashed seeds under the sun until completely contain no water.
Mash the dried seeds with pestle and mortar to make it into powder. Various cakes with particular tastes and textures can be made using durian flour.
Chips made of durian seeds :
Wash durian seeds cleanly.
Put them in a cooking pan, add water so that all seeds are soaked.
Cook the seeds for 30 minutes. Let them stay in the pan until it cools down completely.
Remove the skin from the seeds and cut them one by one into thin slices.Rinse in water which has been given 2 teaspoons of salt and some lime water.
Put them on a tray and dry under the sun.
The chips are ready for frying when they're completely dried.
Durian smell used as mosquito repellent.
If durian smell is not a problem, you can also use durian husks as a natural mosquito repellent. In some areas in the country people put some husks in a basket and place it in the corner. Change them regularly to get effective result specially when you think the husks start to produce unwanted odor, you can change them with new ones.