How to Enjoy and Be Enchanted
Enjoyment is taking pleasure in something, the kind of pleasure that comes from doing pleasant activities. It is what we experience when we are having a good time.
Can we enjoy life in the midst of its complications and challenges? Yes, we can. We can start by focusing on ourselves and finding time to relax. In this global health crisis time, we must avoid spending too much time reading and/or listening to the news. It is vital that we follow the news as ignorance is definitely not bliss. We could find ourselves isolated in not knowing what is going on and affecting us, our family, our loved ones and the people around us.
Even though we are distancing ourselves from others, we want to nurture and maintain positive relationships. This is THE time when we need to count on each other, either directly by helping out or indirectly by not behaving in a way that could hurt others.
We are generally advised to broaden our horizon by meeting new people and discovering new places. In this COVID-19 era, it is not possible to do so physically. But technology is there for most of us. It allows us to connect with others, form new relationships, learn new things and educate ourselves, and to catch up on whatever we never had the time to do or learn. It could be a hobby for which we have all the required elements but not the time to develop.
I heard somewhere that if we keep a wish list, we will not forget to make at least one of these wishes come true.
Enchantment is a feeling of great pleasure and delight. It is a set of beliefs about life and a state of being, like living in a world of mystery and charisma.
To feel enchanted means we are drifting freely in a world, away from thinking, where new perceptions and sensations lead us to awe and wonder.
Enchantment is a personal effort rather than the work of nature when you find yourself all of a sudden in an enchanted forest witnessing strange occurrences or surrounded by weird creatures.
Feelings of disenchantment come with disillusionment and despair. Allowing ourselves to feel enchanted is crucial to our physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual well-being. It gives us a sliver of hope in an automatic and material existence fraught with challenges and sometimes just fear.
In most cultures singing, dancing, rhythm and music make people feel alive and enchanted. Find your own way of feeling enchanted. It could be listening to an international symphony orchestra, studying something new or just different, watching a sunset or a sunrise, or visiting a museum online. There are many opportunities online, some of them are being offered for free these days.
"Ecstatic experience puts us in touch with the soul of the world and deepens our sense that we live in the midst of a cosmic mystery."— Suzi Gablik
A Single Life
With so much emphasis usually put on romance and being in a relationship, can a person who is single enjoy life?
I read two weeks ago that the rate of divorce is expected to increase sharply after this wave of disease eases off, and it will ease off. Many 'experts' expect drastic changes in societies culminating in a lot of changes in our lives. The rules of dating might be one of them.
- Some people feel intimidated when they think of going back into the dating game. A relationship might or might not come out in good time for them. Instead of worrying, we could focus on finding our purpose in life as we may find that what motivated us before this total economic and societal shutdown has changed, drastically in some cases.
- Discovering a new passion is a wonderful way to face life. I discovered my passion for writing less than two years ago and writing has improved my life at all levels, even my physical health. It is important that we sing our own song, the one that makes us feel alive and in harmony with life.
- If some of us cannot discover a new passion, they could give time to old interests that they never had the time to develop.
- Making new friends seems impossible with all the physical distancing and social isolation but it could happen. We must have an open mind and be willing to trust life and let the flow of life carry us.
- Exercising and being fit and healthy is one of the best way to enjoy life and allow the subtle current of enchantment to carry us and at time to heal us.
- Some people find their purpose in serving their community, and/or showering their family with time, generosity, and love.
Anything is possible for a loving heart and an open mind.
“Do what makes you happy, be with who makes you smile, laugh as much as you breathe, and love as long as you live.”— Rachel Ann Nunes
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.