Allergies: My Environmental Reaction
Eyes Swollen Shut
What started as a rash on my wrist has turned into a full on war, with my body being the battleground. After several back and forths to the doctors and blood tests it has been determined that my condition is the result of environmental allergies.
According to one of my doctors, there has been an increase in the number of cases that have presented earlier than usual this year, and I am just one of them.
- It started with a rash around my wrist one night.
- Over the next few days the rash presented and grew on the back of my hands and went up my arms, my feet and up my legs, my back and around to my stomach.
- The itch that comes with the rash is incredible and hard to deal with
- 4 mornings later I awoke with one eye swollen shut
- My face was swollen and it was extremely uncomfortable.
- My skin was dry and very hard to keep moist, which is needed. It feels like it is cracking.
I am applying coconut oil to help.
That's when I went to the doctor.
I would advise not waiting as long as I did to go get help. I believe I will have a longer healing time as a result of not getting it checked out sooner.
I have been consulting both medical doctors and an acupuncturist to help me heal from this mess my body is going through.
Rash turned to Scab
Over Active Immune System
The doctor explained that the symptoms are a result of an overactive immune system.
That is interesting because I have had much trauma to my body in the last 2 years and I believe it to be immune compromised anyway. So I am exploring changes that triggered this reaction, but I am coming up short. No significant changes have been made in the last few weeks in my life. Not that I am aware of anyway.
The doctor also explained that the weather is so warm that plants are pollinating early this year. Several people are coming in with reactions. But where we live the plants always start to come out in January and February, so I don't know that it's plant related.
There's been a lot of construction in my area in the last 3 weeks and I wonder if there might be something being stirred up and put into the air in our area. But how do you prove it?
Great Film about Environmental Awareness
My acupuncturist feels may be toxins may be trying to escape my body. So, the reaction could be a good thing.
Only problem is the discomfort is unbelievable.
He is using acupuncture treatment to try to help cleanse me.
He has also made some natural suggestions to try to help externally and internally.
- I have started taking colloidal silver. One oz 3 times a day internally.
- I generously apply it externally before applying a generous layer of coconut oil over the rashes and on my head.
- I mix a few drops of orange blossom essential oil with a handful of coconut oil and apply it to the open sores and scabs. These are actually sore, and this mix is an external pain reliever.
- Internally, besides the colloidal silver,
- I am taking 2 salmon fish oil capsule, along with 1 Black Current seed oil capsule 3 times a day before eating.
- In the morning I have a fresh fruit smoothie with 1 tablespoon of "Fermented L-Glutamine" to help rebuild my intestinal tissues.
The non-natural medication that the doctor has put me on is
- prednisone. 50 mg in the morning after I've eaten, once a day for 3 days.
- I am also taking a 24 hour release reactine for 3 days.
- I am also taking tramadol for the pain in my broken femur and for the pain caused by this rash.
I will revisit my doctor to discuss further treatment.
The swelling has gone down in the photos, but it is still significant enough to have me concerned;
I still can't open both eyes fully after 2 days on the prendisone.
The rash is not as red in the pics as it is on my body. I wanted to show the rash because it is quite specific in it's presentation.
The bumps are small, red, massed together and distinctive. They are not the large puss filled hives that come with many allergies.
Sadly the doctor and acupuncturist both say we may never find the cause of the allergic reaction but the symptoms need to be treated as they are significant.
It concerns me that there are many unnamed environmental products that could be harming our body on a daily basis. Having a reaction like this to the world we live in re-enforces that we need to become more environmentally friendly.
I wanted to treat this as holistically as possible, but the effects on my body are too sever.
I love alternative medicine but also understand that in acute cases of sever problems with our bodies pharmaceutical intervention is needed.
I am hoping that the combination of the treatments will heal my over active immune system sooner than later.
Gotta rash? Get it checked out sooner that later, to avoid the extreme body reaction that mine is experiencing. I
hope the pictures and this article will help with recognition of symptoms before they get out of control. I encourage anyone with the same symptoms to go to the health care practitioner of your choice to get help. Quickly.
The information provided in this article is not a substitute or replacement for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician or alternative health care provider before taking any herbal supplements, home remedies, new products or changing your health regime. Even though we are responsible for our own health, we need the guidance of trained professionals.
© 2012 eye say