Everything you need to know about bananas
What is a Banana?
I'm about to tell you exactly what a "so called banana is" well..... More or less everyone knows what a Banana is but just to be sure I am going to tell you, a Banana is a Fruit, it is yellow when its ripe and green before when it is on the tree. It is in the shape of a cresent. Bananas are extremely good for you as they are a great source of Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamin B and they are high in Fibre. The Banana can be eaten as part of a balanced diet as it contain no fat, no Sodium and no Chloestral. Bananas are high in energy and they can be digested easily so you eat a few a day also they are part of yo five a day, now for the history lesson. The first Banana to be mentioned in history was in 600years b.c. most people say that Bananas grow on a tree but there don't there grow on a herb. A bunch of Banana is known as a hand and a single banana is known as a finger. Once a hand of Bananas has been picked it has around 20 days left. This would include cleaning, cutting into smaller bunches and shipping. when being shipped; Bananas are stored in containers on a specialized refrigerator ship and have to be left at a certain temperature otherwise they could ripe to early this temperature is around 14.5 Celsius. Each Banana stem has between 10 to 14 hands (big bunches) and they carry between 18 to 20 Bananas each. A lot of Bananas today are fair-trade, fair-trade doesn't just mean slightly higher price it also means fair worker condition and money goes to the farmers so if anything it is worth a slightly higher price. When buying Bananas you should look for slightly green bananas but not to green. If you buy yellow bananas then they won't have long left till they go brown and squishy.
Some facts that will change your life
- There are more than 600 varieties of Banana
- The riper a Banana is the sweeter it will taste
- In 2001 there was over 300 Banana relted accident where people have slipped on one.
- In a year the average american consumes 28 pounds of Bananas (that's a lot of bananas)
- Banana peel is great for polishing leather shoes.
- 10 billion pound is spent on Bananas every year
- Banana is the most popular fruit in the world
- Bananas are available all year round
- Bananas are harvested every day of the year