To many of us, developing a regular exercise regimen is not easy. We often have excuses for not doing them regularly. Being busy with everyday life and body aches are enough excuses for us to shun exercise. But what if it’s the other way around? What if we know some people who avoid social interaction and other responsibilities for the sake of exercise? It is called exercise addiction.
Determining it is not easy, as we might mistakenly identify them with exercise enthusiasm. In fact, exercise enthusiasts and exercise addicts may have so many similarities that the people around them might get confused with one from the other.
Exercise addiction have detrimental effects on the sufferer but because of the lack of awareness of society about this problem, many people who are suffering from it are left untreated. Although there is no oral medication for this problem, people who are suffering from it can get help. Unfortunately, getting help may not be that easy.
So, how do you determine exercise addiction?
- If they are also suffering from eating disorders, depression, compulsive behaviors, and even drug addiction.
- If they don't stop exercising even when their regimen proved to be dangerous for their health.
- If they are constantly adding the difficulty level of their exercise. Even though their exercise program is already at an advanced and difficult stage.
- They won’t stop exercising even when they are injured or sick. They have this compulsion to continue exercising even when they are not feeling well.
- When nothing else is more important than their exercise. No family, friends or other activities is more important than their exercise program.
- When they avoid taking responsibilities for the sake of exercise.
- When they avoid interacting with other people for the sake of their exercise program.
Dealing with exercise addiction, just like any other addiction, is difficult. In fact, it can probably be more difficult because exercise addiction is not widely acknowledged. Professional help may not be readily available in many locations.