- Nutritional Vitamins & Supplements
Extra Strength Fish Oil: What It Does, How It Does It, and Why You Need It to Maintain Health
Extra strength fish oil supplements usually come in one of two forms: enteric-coated capsules and the chewable kind. What sets it aside from regular fish oil supplements is that it contains higher amounts of EPA and DHA - the two essential omega-3 fatty acids needed by the body—and is primarily used for the treatment of certain health problems. This makes consulting a doctor regarding the use of this supplement very important since it has a higher possibility of causing adverse effects when improperly taken.
Not all people may respond positively to this kind of treatment, and some would even experience persistence or worsening of their condition due to such factors as improper dosage, fish allergies and intake of low-quality capsules. However, when taken properly, this supplement has been known to effectively treat the following health problems:
- Heart Disease and Stroke. Extra strength fish oil is noted for its ability to counteract the most crucial risk factors of heart disease: high cholesterol and high blood pressure. In addition, the omega 3 fatty acids in fish oil also work against the development of blood clots that may clog the arteries leading to the heart or the brain and can eventually result in a heart attack or stroke. Fish oil supplements can also significantly lower the risk of repeated attacks.
- Diabetes. Depending on the type of diabetes they have, some people simply do not have the ability to convert ALA from food sources into essential omega-3 fatty acids. Fish oil supplements can provide them with the omega-3 they need to maintain their triglyceride and good cholesterol levels within a healthy range.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis. Fish oil reduces the painful symptoms of this condition by decreasing the tenderness between joints, and preventing morning stiffness. This also significantly reduces the need for other medicines.
- Osteoporosis. Fish oil also aids in increasing the amount calcium absorbed and deposited into the bones by the body, thus strengthening the bones' defenses against damage and loss due to old age.
- Weight Loss. This can be achieved from a combination of exercise and fish oil supplements. This should help the body gain better control over cholesterol and blood sugar levels, thus leading to a reduction in weight.
- • Depression. Extra strength fish oil also aids in alleviating the symptoms of depression by promoting and regulating proper communications between nerve cells, which is important in maintaining healthy mental functions.