Fertility Boosting Tips
How much would you pay?
Last year American spent over a BILLION DOLLARS on fertility treatments.
Just let that sink in for a moment because that's a lot of zero's.
If you're experiencing conception difficulties then you would know all to well what an emotional roller coaster baby making can be. To be filled with hope and excitement one day and heartbreaking disappointment the next is traumatic to say the least..
So what are your options?
First Rule - Education
The first thing you should do...
Ok...assuming that you have already spoken to your Doctor and ruled out common problems that will intefere with your fertiity (such as blocked fallopian tubes or ovulation problems) than the first thing you can do...you're already doing!
Educate yourself about fertility issues and the science of getting pregnant.
Learn how to work out when you are ovulating.
Learn about the different methods people with fertility problems use to fall pregnant from IVF to how Eastern and Western treatments for infertility differ.
Getting pregnant naturally...
After a pre-conception appointment with your Doctor has ruled out any issues then you are free to begin trying.
You should begin boosting folic acid before pregnancy so it's a good idea to understand when and how much folic acid you will need, especially if you have had a child with neural tube issues in the past. Some will also recommend a multi-vitamin of some sort but you will only need to supplement your diet if you feel you aren't getting enough from a well rounded diet.
So...let's get to the fun part =)
Having unprotected sex every few days during your ovulation cycle will ensure that there is always sperm on hand for when the ova is released.
However, commitments to work and other children don't always make this method possible :-(
In which case you will need to zoom your focus in on your ovulation window. For the average 28 day cycle this will be about 2 weeks after the first day of your last menstrual period.
In Vetro Fertilization
For many women, IVF is a last solution because it's very expensive. Many advancement 's have been made since the world's first "test tube baby" was born in1978. Statistically, one in every 80 babies in the UK are born after IVF.
It's actually quite complex and very scientific but the long and short of it is this.
The women's egg's are gather from the ovaries along with the man's sperm. These are then mixed together in laboratory conditions.
This means that you will be given fertility drugs to stimulate your ovaries into releasing more than the usual one ova and some Doctors prefer to take complete control over the entire menstrual cycle. When an ultrasound confirms that your ova are ready for harvest you will be sedated while the Doctor retrieves them. At this point, your partner will need to supply a fresh supply fresh sample of sperm.
You will benefit from IVF if you have been diagnosed with a fertility problem such as blocked fallopian tubes and/or your partner has been diagnosed with fertility problems. However the causes of infertility are not always obvious and IVF is also an option for couples that have trying to conceive without success for over three years.
It is a very long expensive and intensive cycle of injections, testing and usually requires three cycles before a victory is won but for many couples this is a small sacrifice when they finally fall pregnant.
- Always begin with a pre-conception check up with your Doctor
- Begin taking folic acid - folate's are crutial to help prevent neural tube defects
- Learn as much as you can about the art of conception
- Learn to relax and stay positive - stress will actually prevent you from conceiving
- Eat a well balanced diet based on lots of fresh produce
- Enjoy half and hour of light exercise each day - take the dog for a walk of go for a stroll after dinner
- Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight or underweight effects with your ability to conceive so be sure to to consult your Doctor or a Dietitian and start making some changes. These don't have to be severe - by excluding a can of softdrink each day you will lose up to 1kg per week!
- Visit your dentist - yep, that's right. Untreated dental problems have been linked to you reproductive health.
- Have unprotected sex during your ovulation window or every few days during your menstrual cycle
- Get your guy to switch to boxers
- Forgive yourself - these things take time. Develop a "all in good time" attitude and try not to let the pressures of conceiving leave you stressed out or depressed.
For more information about everything discussed here today
- How to get pregnant fast
- The costs, the risks and stages of IVF treatments
- How much folic acid is healthy during and before pregnancy
- How much caffeine is okay during pregnancy
- A system that has shown great promise - the initial study (35 women) saw 27 women fall pregnant within 2-3 months (that's twice the success of IVF!)
- And heaps more, visit my blog called Getting Pregnant After...
For more information please consult your Doctor
- Getting Pregnant After....:
Pre-conception blog full of pregnancy information.