- Mental Health
Fight Depression Without Medication: The Best and Natural Ways to Fight It
You have to fight depression. Sounds so easy, right? But for people who is affected by it, fighting is nearly impossible. Its symptoms can leave a person unable to function and progression of the disorder can lead to a more serious condition. That is why determining the early signs of depression is very important; it is the best time to treat a depressed individual.
Moreover, you have to do something if you feel depressed. The illness does not just go at bay on its own. You have to do your part to treat it or keep it from happening. Many have succumb to this illness, but with professional help and support from family, they have overcome this condition. Get professional help and follow these suggestions.
7 Natural Ways to Fight Depression
1. Submit yourself to an exercise program . A 15- to 30-minute brisk walk everyday is already enough. You can also dance, jog, or bike if you prefer these methods. Depression may make you lethargic. Push yourself to get up anyway. Ask a friend to exercise with you to get motivated. Getting in the routine will improve your mood.
2. Yoga and stretching positions can relieve feelings of being depressed. There are different yoga websites you can surf to get ideas. You can enroll in classes as well. To important aspects of yoga―breathing and mediation― are the key to make you feel better.
3. Eat foods recommended by your dietitian . Appetite is severely affected by depression. It may give you a feeling of not eating, or it may influence you to overeat. Be mindful of getting the right nutrition. This can influence the mood and energy of the victim substantially. Stack up on fruits and vegetables, and do not skip meals.
4. Learn to identify troubles and stressors but do not focus on them . Identify factors that may have caused your depression, and share it with a caring friend or to a professional. Talking is an effective way to release inner sentiments and to receive understanding. Writing diaries is also effective.
5. Turn your attention into something positive after airing out your woes. Solve problems, seek help if you need it, and get in touch with family and friends. This can help your loved ones feel there is something they can do instead of just watching you hurt.
6. Wrench out your mind. Depression blocks a person's creativity and sense of fun. Exercise your mind by engaging in activities such as painting and drawing, sewing, dancing, writing, etc. Keep those creative juices flowing to bring up positive emotions. Play with a friend or a pet, or do something fun and worthwhile. Search for something to laugh about, a funny movie perhaps. Laughter alleviates the mood.
7. See things on their positive side. Depression alters your thoughts. Even if you do not intend it, depression makes everything seem hopeless, dismal, and negative. Observe one thing and notice the good in it. Consider your strengths, blessings, and gifts. On top of that, be patient with your self. Healing takes some time and one of the most effective treatment to fight depression is to be patient.
These natural solutions can help you get started in your fight against depression. If you have depression, or happen to know one person who has one, try doing the suggestions listed above. However, you still need to seek professional help for further management or if you need some medications.