Five Health Benefits of Lemon
Health Benefits of Lemon
Lemon is a yellow citrus fruit obtained from lemon plant. This fruit has a characteristic sour taste as a result of the citric acid found in the fruit. The lemon fruit juice contains about 5% to 6% of citric acid. Lemon is used as a beverage and an ingredient to some dishes to enchance their flavor. Lemon has many health benefits and some of them are considered in this article.
- 1. Lemon can be used in treatment of skin.
Lemon has antibacterial properties which makes it a natural antiseptic substance. It has been reported that lemon juice can also be applied on the skin for acne and eczema problems. The juice is also good for the removal of blackheads, freckles and wrinkles. For you to be able to treat skin problems with lemon juice, one should applied lemon juice directly to the skin and allowed to dry especially for acne and eczema, and then wash it with water after some time.
- 2. Lemon provides dental care.
Lemon juice can be applied on the areas of toothache to get rid of the pain. It has also been reported that massaging lemon juice on a bleeding gum may help stop bleeding.
- 3. Lemon helps the body in the fight against infections.
Lemon helps in the production of WBC’s and antibodies in blood. These make the body to be better able to fight infections.
- 4. Lemon contains high level of vitamin C.
Lemon is a good source of vitamin C. This vitamin is a water soluble vitamin that has many health benefits. Vitamin helps neutralize some free radicals found in the body. Free radicals have being linked to some degenerative diseases. Also is essential in the synthesis of collagen—a structural protein found in the body.
- 5. Lemon prevents constipation.
Lemon has a good supply of dietary fibre which aids digestion. Dietary fibre increases peristalsis in the bowels, helping to create a bowel movement and thus eliminating waste product from the intestine.
Other health benefits of lemon are
- Lemon can be used in treatment of fever.
- Lemon juice when applied to hair after rinsing it, gives shiny look to the hair.
- Lemon has a relaxing effect on the body which means it can be taken after a day of work.
- Lemon can reduce blood pressure because of the potassium content of this fruit.
- Lemon water helps clear the chest of congestion.
- Lemon juice helps in preventing the development and progression of atherosclerosis.
Nutritive Values of Lemon : Per 100 gm.
Vitamin B : Thiamine .04 mg.;
Riboflavin : Trace;
Vitamin C : 50 mg.
Calcium : 40 mg.
Phosphorus : 22 mg.
Carbohydrates : 8.7 gm.
Protein : .9 gm.
Calories : 32
Lemon is best taken when mixed with water to form lemon water.
With all these health benefits, lemon is one of the fruit to always have in your home. You may also consider planting a lemon tree in your garden so as to have easy access to this wonderful fruit.