I Love Flowers : Fragrant, Fresh, Delicate, Beautiful and Also as Healers!
Beautiful Flowers Are Also Healers:
The natural and unassuming beauty of the flowers, in all its magnificence, is something, we all love and appreciate.
But they are not just beautiful, with delightful fragrance, capable of' affecting your senses; they also have medicinal properties.
Using the flowers for Aroma therapy, or in some beauty treatments, is quite common. But there are certain flowers, which have medicinal uses as well.
Many flowers, which we see regularly in our gardens or parks, have been used as medicines, by the Ayurveda and Homeopathic treatments.
Flowers have an important component, which is used in Green Teas, because of their immense health benefits.
Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.
Health Benefits of Some of The Flowers:
- Yellow Marigold (Genda in Hindi), also called 'Calendula', is known to heal wounds, and treat skin allergies.
- It is extensively used in Homeopathy and is one of the oldest and most popular herbal remedy, for healing ruptured skin, or to treat Eczema.
- It is not exactly the Marigold, you would ordinarily see, in a garden and that's why it is called Pot Marigold.
- It has been found to have anti inflammatory properties. Mostly, it is used for topical applications, to cure wounds, abrasions, skin rashes, minor cuts etc
- Lavender (surprisingly it is Lavender in Hindi too), has a bright violet color and its fragrance is fresh, sweet with a calming effect on senses.
- No doubt it is used in talcum powders and essential bath oils and in Spa treatments.
- Its fragrance relaxes your mind and keeps you stress free. That's why many people spray it in bedrooms to induce sleep.
- Along with calming it is known for its healing properties as well. It is known to heal wounds faster and is effective in soothing chest and throat congestion as well.
- Simply serene, fragrant, with a delicate, but strong fragrance is another flower, Jasmine (Juhi in Hindi), which is known for its many medicinal properties.
- Because of its cooling properties, it is used in heat like conditions, for nasal bleeding, mouth ulcers, conjunctivitis, stomach troubles etc.
- It is also used to make soaps, oils and perfumes, for its sweet and calming smell. It is very popular in Aromatherapy.
- Hibiscus ( Japakusum or Gudhal in Hindi), is a very common flower in our gardens, also known as rose mallow, has many health benefits.
- It‘s juices are used to make hair oil, which is very effective, in preventing or delaying, the greying of hair.
- Hibiscus tea is said to lower the blood pressure and is also effective, in treating hypertension. It is beneficial in kidney problems, and is also preferred by dieters, in the form of Green tea.
- Cotton flowers(Kapaas ke phool in Hindi), are white in color and is considered highly beneficial, in medicinal properties, by Ayurveda.
- They are believed to control the three vital elements in our body, namely--gas, bile and cough,( Vata, Pitta and Kapha.) and maintain balance.
- Taking juice of these flowers, relieves the pain, during periods, in females. It has rejuvenating properties too. It gives strength to the body and fights fatigue.
Mountain Daisy (Arnica):
- Mountain Daisy ( Arnica in Hindi), is commonly used in herbal ointments, as a pain reliever, and as an anti inflammatory medicine.
- In Homeopathic medicines, it is used as a first aid for bruises, inflammations due to fall, and other minor skin problems.
- It is also known to be effective, in relieving pain due to arthritis.
- Rose flower (Gulaab in Hindi), is so common, you can find it everywhere.
- Rose oil is a product of Rose petals, and is very effective in relaxing and soothing the nerves.
- Rose water is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic. Therefore, it is an important component, in the Ayurveda medicines.
- Rose essence is edible, and is used in many sweet recipes. It contains flavanoids and anti-oxidants, known to be very essential for good health.
- It is excellent for skin care and hair care as well. Ayurveda uses eye drops containing Rose water, to soothe tired eyes.
Flower Extracts In Green Tea:
We all are aware of the health benefits of Green tea. Many flowers are the chief components, in the Green tea. They have plenty of antioxidants, beneficial for our immune system, and general internal health.
Rose and many other flowers, are wonderful examples of Green tea, which are immensely beneficial for the skin, hair and other internal organs.
These Green teas are relaxing, stress relievers and they also build up the stamina.
A word of caution:
- Not all flowers are edible. In fact, some flowers may not be safe for oral consumption. Consult an Ayurveda physician, before taking them. Make sure, that you are taking the right thing, and don't indulge in experimentation, on your own.
- It‘s better to grow your own medicinal flowers, rather than buying them, from the flower market, or picking them up, from the general parks.
- Flowers are beautiful creations of the Mother Nature. Merely by having a look at their vibrant colours; feeling their soft petals, and smelling their divine fragrance, we can notice a change in our mind and mood.
- The flowers are wonderful, spiritual and emotional healers. They energize us, with their colours and appearance. We can make use of their energy, to bring positive health benefits, in our lives.
Which flower based Green tea do you like?
Herbal tea Hibiscus, health benefits, source: You tube
Medicinal properties of flowers-Calendula, Source: YouTube
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan